It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by HardToStarboard

OK, as long as you aren't calling another established Christian religion a cult when it isn't, that's fine

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

OK, as long as you aren't calling another established Christian religion a cult when it isn't, that's fine

I literally never once said I thought anyone belonging to any religion anywhere at any time in this entire thread or elsewhere was in a cult. You, however, stated that I was in a cult several times. I don't believe LDS is a cult. Unlike what several on this thread have inclined to offer I do not believe that all religions are cults and I don't believe there are very many true cults in existence. I think we have some great examples of cults - Branch Davidians, Hale-Bopp, etc., but I don't believe any cults are represented in any of the mainstream religions at large (LDS, any Christian denomination, Islam, etc.).

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

But WHOA! God commanding one dude to hide some books of non-corrosive metal and then commanding another dude to find them a thousand years later? THAT is just crazy talk!

For those of you that have problems with the idea of Joseph Smith actually finding gold plates, which would be highly valuable, and hid them, it isn't such a stretch.

www.deseretnews.com...

edit on 19-5-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardToStarboard

I literally never once said I thought anyone belonging to any religion anywhere at any time in this entire thread or elsewhere was in a cult. You, however, stated that I was in a cult several times. I don't believe LDS is a cult. Unlike what several on this thread have inclined to offer I do not believe that all religions are cults and I don't believe there are very many true cults in existence. I think we have some great examples of cults - Branch Davidians, Hale-Bopp, etc., but I don't believe any cults are represented in any of the mainstream religions at large (LDS, any Christian denomination, Islam, etc.).

I never said Mormons were a cult, I was defending them from the folks that were

Oh well, guess we were caught up in the thread and assumed we were on opposing sides then. Your claim that they couldn't be Christian if they didn't agree with the trinity and it being the cornerstone of Chrsitianity certainly made it seem that way.
edit on 19-5-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
im not bashing anything, please forgive my mistake.

its still a hard story to buy either way. all im sayin

No harder then the Christ story. IMO.

As I've said: Myth bashing Myth - - is ludicrous.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Oh well, guess we were caught up in the thread and assumed we were on opposing sides then.

Reread my statement - I didn't say you said Mormons were a cult; I stated that you said that "I" was in a cult. You stated it a few times. I never said anyone was in a cult. You did.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Wow! There might finally be a religion that can substantiate their claims!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Oh well, guess we were caught up in the thread and assumed we were on opposing sides then.

Reread my statement - I didn't say you said Mormons were a cult; I stated that you said that "I" was in a cult. You stated it a few times. I never said anyone was in a cult. You did.

Ahhh, ok... That was to exemplify that if the Mormons were a cult, the Catholics (and every other denomination) also had to be as well.... one of the things you do to an opponent making claims is turn the tables on them to show them how it can be construed as well as "make them sad"

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by protocolsoflove

So you need to be a mormon to have the "drive" to learn bible verse?

And where did I say anything even close to that?

You need to tithe for this?

Tithing is in the bible.

You guys don't use the book of mormon because it's such bull**** that even the mormons themselves stopped believing it long ago.

Personal opinion based in ignorance.

dont even get me started on the "there is no one true god" thing.

How do you prove YOUR "one true god"?

Oh - - and don't bother using the bible as factual proof. The bible is not proof of god.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

looks like you did just get me started and i give you 28 reasons straight out of the bible why there is 1 true creator god

The bible does not prove a god - - any god - - or even if there is a god.

The bible was written by man.

The bible is a compilation of selected ancient scripts. Stories told by man.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I can prove the existence of hundreds of gods, by citing the Vedas!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
mormon bashing ? no ...

fairy tales... all of them. not just the book of mormon.

that one is just on a higher level of silly, like scientology.

could someone tell me what religion is the "correct" one? if you can sell it to me. ill join

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc
I wouldn't just call the mormon's a cult, call all of'em that.

Agree with that where organised religious groups are concerned. The only thing debatable is the extent.

Some groups are far worse in their methods than others (mind control tactics etc), though all things being equal... Christianity = Scientology = Rastafarian = Orange People = Judaism = John Frumians = Voodoo = OTO = Witchdoctory. There are some slight differences eg. at least have reason to believe John Frum existed and if the story of Xenu is only a little more believable than the Bible, it is at least more entertaining.

I laughed when I read about a Christian asking a John Frum native if he might be wasting his time waiting for Frum to return after 60 years. The answer went something like "you Christians have been waiting 2,000 years and you haven't given up hope..."

It's worth a read of the islanders own version of Christianity (ie. belief in a saviour who will return etc).

www.smithsonianmag.com...

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

edit on 19-5-2012 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

that one is just on a higher level of silly, like scientology.

PLEASE - - tell me the comparison between Mormon and Scientology.

Several posters have lumped them together. Why?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by Annee

Not really.

All you can prove is writings by man.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

could someone tell me what religion is the "correct" one? if you can sell it to me. ill join

The claimed divine being and object of devotion for these people certainly does exist.
en.wikipedia.org...

This one claims to have an extant version of the son of their God living among them. Their God was also very likely to have existed, there are contemporary accounts.
www.smithsonianmag.com...

They look like your best bets so far.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Not really.

Every single post of yours is catty and argumentative. That guy was jokingly agreeing with you and you just steamrolled through the intent because you are seeing through anger.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Because both Mormons and Scientology look to space, and life outside of planet earth, for their answers. They both have very human, modern prophets that they believe uncovered a truth.

Mormons believe that god was once human, and found enlightenment and ascension. Scientologists believe the same of L. Ron Hubbard as the Mormons, who see Joseph Smith as the discoverer of knowledge that comes from outer space, other planets, aliens etc.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Not really.

Every single post of yours is catty and argumentative. That guy was jokingly agreeing with you and you just steamrolled through the intent because you are seeing through anger.

My posting style is called "short tacks" - - - a statement style with as few words as possible.

Catty or argumentative would require emotional embellishment - - which is not the case.

Therefore - - it is you who is interpreting from your own feelings.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Not really.

My posting style is called "short tacks" - - - a statement style with as few words as possible.

Catty or argumentative would require emotional embellishment - - which is not the case.

Therefore - - it is you who is interpreting from your own feelings.

You use the words bashing, ludicrous, have used the word please in all caps before a question. You yourself have inserted your emotional context. Something about mormonism as a cult really got you riled up today because you've posted like 43 replies in a very short time span.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join