It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thrustbucket

Caffeine, as an addictive stimulant is frowned on and not sold by the church. Members are free to drink caffeine (as long as its not tea or coffee) without losing standing in the church, so its hard to say its "banned"

If it is frowned upon and not sold by the church, then you had better inform LDS Church leaders that it is being sold in church building in Salt Lake City.

I just bought a Mr. Pibb in the Joesph Smith Memorial building a few hours ago.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logmafia

Caffeine, as an addictive stimulant is frowned on and not sold by the church. Members are free to drink caffeine (as long as its not tea or coffee) without losing standing in the church, so its hard to say its "banned"

If it is frowned upon and not sold by the church, then you had better inform LDS Church leaders that it is being sold in church building in Salt Lake City.

All the Mormon functions I went to served Coke.

The basic point is - - your body is a temple - - and you should treat it as such.

Those Mormon's can sure cook - - and they love their food

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
In all truthfullness, Romney being a Mormon is the thing that I DO like about him. Otherwise, I'd not give him a second look.
Mormons have excellent family values, they help their community, they reach out to those in need when others won't, they practice what they preach, they store food and supplies for emergencies, they stay away from caffeine and tobacco because it's bad for their body and their body is their temple. They are good, upstanding citizens who try to help others.
I choose not to be Mormon because, frankly, I like my caffeine and cigarettes and an occaisional beer or three. I feel they are just as Christian, if not more so, than the mainstream churches.
You don't have to believe, you don't have to support them, but don't deny them the opportunity to believe and to try to live up to the standards that are there. If they are not doing any harm, then why should we go against them? If they are not destroying lives, families, communities, countries and other religions, what's so bad about them?
You don't like what they believe, do and stand for? Fine, don't join them. Oh wait, that's my response for the homophobes... how bout that, whenever you disagree with ANY group, if they are not malicious, they are not bringing any harm to you or anyone else, then leave them alone and let them do what they're doing just like they let YOU do what YOU are doing. Pretty darn simple.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Logmafia

All the Mormon functions I went to served Coke.

The basic point is - - your body is a temple - - and you should treat it as such.

Those Mormon's can sure cook - - and they love their food

I said before that I have friends and family members who are Mormon and you are right, they can definitely cook!!! Best food you could ever want!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetiler

Come on guys and gals that love to slam, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'
I have to think that jesus is of the highest source but from James E. Pagett's point of view, Jesus did NOT want to be called a GOD, that Adam and Even, Jesus calls "supposed first parents. (maybe there is an annanuki type tie in? DNA manipulation? James E. Pagett said if I read right that Jesus's second coming was his visiting James Pagett and giving him truthful information.

Not saying I am convinced of James Pagett but I have to think ever since I heard the scripture that Eve came from Adams rib has to be some kind of bone marrow transplant or dna manipulation etc.

Yes. Do your homework.

I'm not necessarily defending everything or even anything about the belief or Joseph Smith. I DO defend the Mormon's as people and the way their church is organized.

I do find Joseph Smith to be a fascinating character. I've read his demeanor was more childlike and he cared nothing about business.

I've had visions and OBE's. Joseph's experience sounds almost like an abduction. I honestly have no problem believing that he was channeling. Jesus sounds like a Light Being.

Anyway - - - I think understanding "gods" from the earthbound perspective of most "men" is virtually impossible.

They can only relate from a limited perspective.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here's to Romney getting polygamy legalized. That will be enough to get me in his cult.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

You havent a clue what your talking about and just because you found it on the internet does not make it true or withing actual context of the accusation. I'd suggest actually going to a meeting and asking or better yet, go to the website and find out for yourselves. Your accusation is out of complete ignorance to the facts and is motivated upon a premise of hatred. You lack first hand evidence. Go get it, then put yourself in the corner for a bad mistake.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

You don't like what they believe, do and stand for? Fine, don't join them. Oh wait, that's my response for the homophobes... how bout that, whenever you disagree with ANY group, if they are not malicious, they are not bringing any harm to you or anyone else, then leave them alone and let them do what they're doing just like they let YOU do what YOU are doing. Pretty darn simple.

There are many Pro-Gay Mormons - - just as there are many Pro-Gay Christians.

Many choose to keep their faith - - while fighting to change the doctrines of their church from the inside.

We need them too.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

There are many Pro-Gay Mormons - - just as there are many Pro-Gay Christians.

Many choose to keep their faith - - while fighting to change the doctrines of their church from the inside.

We need them too.

A good friend of mine is gay and a member of the Mormon Church. He says they know he's gay and don't treat him negatively, but do want him to remain celibate and not participate in any form of homosexual sex. That's really my only exposure to it in that way, but it seems more positive than many supposed Christian Churhes are.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

In all truthfullness, Romney being a Mormon is the thing that I DO like about him. Otherwise, I'd not give him a second look.

I have a problem with a Presidential candidate who is unable to discern a true Christian faith from a fake one. It bothers me because, as a leader of his caliber, he should be smart enough to walk away from such falsehoods. If he can't, then what else will he accept in the name of the American people that is false? What bills will he sign? What treaties will he enact? What terms will he enforce? Will he give the same devotion to other lies?

The LDS church, based in Salt Lake City, like several other "Mormon" churches, base their religion on their sacred texts. These texts have proven to be conflicting with each other and misleading. The result is that the typical LDS member does not know his/her religion. They know what they are taught about it. For them to understand these errors in their sacred texts, they would have to be able to critically and objectively examine their texts. This they cannot and will not do, ever. The reason they cannot bring themselves to this level of self-examination is because they are constantly loved and reassured that their church is true. They are constantly involved in uplifting each other and their church. It flies in the face of logic to think they would, for whatever reason, reverse course. Romney, included. He is loved and adored by the church members. They are voting for him because he is a Mormon, the first Mormon to be a President. Who wouldn't? They believe that he has high moral standards and is family-oriented because he is LDS (aka Mormon). He has a beautiful family, is wealthy, and is supposedly good at business....all great Republican values.

From a Christian perspective, he is as much a Christian as is a Moslem, a Jew or a Jehovah's Witness.

If I have to vote for him or Obama, it's a tough choice. Frankly, neither will make a difference. Both are stymied by the Congress and the Judicial branches. Pass a law, and the judges will rule it unconstitutional...just like Prop 8 in California. We have a bigger problem than Romney being Mormon. We have a broken system. That, my friend, is why people have taken to the streets.

edit on 5/18/2012 by Jim Scott because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/18/2012 by Jim Scott because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I haven't read through all the thread, but I'd hope that the folks who defended Obama on charges of him being a muslim (who cares what he believes!!!) are also here defending Romney.

Will now "look" and see if we have hypocrites here. . . . . . . . .

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

*pst*

*whispers*

Mormons are not christians. Their Jesus came from outter space and he allows the marriage and fornication of multiple women and he will not allow you into heaven if you refuse a 9 year old bride and if you do not keep constantly breeding everytime one of your wives' ovulates.

Fundamental of mormonism...google Warren Jeffs and then ask yourself "where is Jesus in any of that?"

Mormonism is actually the Cult of Hathor (Egyptian fertility godess) and you can google that too. Mormons get more bootie than a toilet seat.
edit on 17-5-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

Not defending Mominism but you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Warren Jeffs it a polygamist offshoot. Mainstream Mormonism is pretty mains stream modern Christianity. And like most modern Christian faiths has little to nothing to do with the teachings of Christ.
edit on 18-5-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott

I have a problem with a Presidential candidate who is unable to discern a true Christian faith from a fake one.

In your opinion it is fake, in his opinion, it is true. That is the same for any religion, not just Mormonism. Your disagreement with it based on false information and opinion, does not make it any more or less legitimate than any other faith.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I haven't read through all the thread, but I'd hope that the folks who defended Obama on charges of him being a muslim (who cares what he believes!!!) are also here defending Romney.

Will now "look" and see if we have hypocrites here. . . . . . . . .

He's not a Muslim, but even if he is, it shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter that Romney is Mormon either (especially since Mormons are Christians just as any other denomination is)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
If nothing else is accomplished by Romney running for president, at least it gives the opportunity for people who know absolutely nothing about or lots of false information about Mormons to at least be exposed to the truth, that it's a Christian religion, even if they don't accept or believe it. Maybe it'll get through to a few and that's a few more then there were before.
Additionally, a president's religous choices really shouldn't matter, he's there to run the country, not the church and he's president, not God.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I am a deist and from my point of view all organized religions are cults.
Any religion that tries to tell people outside of there church how to live is a cult and i do not believe they have any rights to dictate to me in any way. IE Religious harassment.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I think religion matters. Romney was a Bishop in the Church. How would Americans react if a Catholic Bishop was running for president. How will Romney be able to separate his devotion to his church and his religious views from policy making?

Since Mormons believe that God lives on another planet, with Jesus, will that effect his views on space exploration?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Mormons have excellent family values, they help their community, they reach out to those in need when others won't, they practice what they preach, they store food and supplies for emergencies, they stay away from caffeine and tobacco because it's bad for their body and their body is their temple. They are good, upstanding citizens who try to help others.
I choose not to be Mormon because, frankly, I like my caffeine and cigarettes and an occaisional beer or three. I feel they are just as Christian, if not more so, than the mainstream churches.
You don't have to believe, you don't have to support them, but don't deny them the opportunity to believe and to try to live up to the standards that are there. If they are not doing any harm, then why should we go against them? If they are not destroying lives, families, communities, countries and other religions, what's so bad about them?

I guess you could categorize them and say "they all help their community and have excellent family values" but there are lots of people who are that way and aren't mormon.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardToStarboard

I would concede that their TEACHINGS may, in fact, be "very Christian." However, the fact that Jesus in Mormon teaching is not "true God and true man" but rather a created being negates any Mormon from truly professing to be a Christian.

Dude - - YOUR guy was born of a virgin impregnated by God.

How insane and stupid that one myth decries another wrong.

These debates are many things; insane and/or stupid are not on that list. Back to the question posed by my reference - Jesus, true God and true man? Yes or no?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardToStarboard

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

i didn't condemn or judge anyone.the facts speak for themselves. this is not a matter of interpretation, it is a matter of creating new content not in the bible. Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship. it's like apples and oranges. The apple is clearly different than the orange so I am simply pointing out the differences. Mormonism is NOT Christianity.

Only in your opinion. In reality, they very much ARE Christians.

Mormons ARE Christian. In that their only savior is Jesus Christ.

I don't think the Christ portrayed in LDS is the one from the bible since LDS denies that Jesus was/is God. They also deny that He was eternal (denying John 1:1) and instead say that He was a created being just like man. That's an heretical statement according to the Catholic/Protestant/Anglo/Orthodox view. It also nullifies His propitiation for sin (i.e. - by denying He is both God and man the LDS church essentially renders the cross powerless).

I'm using the following link as reference. They, in turn, use the main LDS site as their reference (I just like the site because it gathers all religion facts into one nonpartisan location for easy reference and study).

www.religionfacts.com...

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: Edited quote formst

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: (no reason given)

They don't deny Christ is God, they deny the trinity concept which is NOT clearly defined in the bible. The "Trinity" was created by the Catholic Church and passed on to many of the Protestant churches but is not a "cornerstone" of Christianity.
en.wikipedia.org...

Christ himself prayed to God, did he pray to himself?
He was to ascend and sit at the right hand of God, was he going to sit at his own right hand?

They have a point.

Can you provide a reference showing LDS doesn't deny that Jesus is God? I would truly be interested in seeing that from an LDS source or one that cites them directly.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join