It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 3 years, the release of "Back to the Future" will as far from us as the time they traveled.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Back to the Future came out in 1985. In that movie, Marty and the Professor traveled back to 1955. Thirty years earlier.

But 1985 will be 30 years ago in just three years.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Because it kind of freaks me out.

There has not been as much cultural change since 1985 as there was 1955-1985. the whole point of the movie was how different everything was and how much people had changed. You can't find that degree of difference over the past 30 years, I feel certain. Sure, we have the Internet and the Patriot Act. But in terms of general liferstyle, it hasn't been such a huge change.

edit on 5/17/2012 by FailedProphet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The Fat lady hasn't sang yet, 3 more years. I smell a revolution by then.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You're right, I thought at the least we'd have true wireless energy and fossil-fuelless cars by now.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If you consider how far our science and technology has come, I'd say there is quite the difference. Buildings and cities have changed, styles have changed.. So I disagree.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
In Back to the Future part 2 they went to 2015.

So where are all those flying cars and clothes that dry themselves?
A Pepsi is almost $50, we deal with robotics more than people, and we do have holograms now, so they got that right. No hover boards though.

Don't forget to bet on the Cubs to win the World Series 2015.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

I want my damn Hoverboard and flying cars already!

If I can't have flying cars I want a Hoverboard! You can keep the clothes, they sucked in the movie.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

edit on 17-5-2012 by Swills because: Stupid double post

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

Run for it Marty!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
If you consider how far our science and technology has come, I'd say there is quite the difference. Buildings and cities have changed, styles have changed.. So I disagree.

I never said there was no difference, just that there wasn't as great a difference between then and now as between 1955 and 1985.

You could drive around in a car from 1985, wear the same clothes, and listen to the same music now and you wouldn't be so out of place. You can't say the same thing at all about 1985 and 1955.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Going to have to watch those movies again, it's been awhile and I can only remember the plot not the finer details (age
).

Things have certainly changed, fashion is fickle, and what I see depicted for 2012 would not have looked out of place in any of those years (although the earphones wouldn't have been seen till the 80's walkman), I would call it a classic casual look

There have also been huge advances in the 'Green Industry', mostly brought on by AGW, doesn't really matter what side of that fence you're on, it has made people more aware of how they treat the environment. 10 years ago recycling was for hippies and treehuggers
, now it's the law! Growing veggies instead of flowers?? Madness!
Personally, I always wanted to lead a greener life but it was so damn inconvenient, now that refuse companies are required to collect separated waste I don't even think about it. Not sorting my rubbish would be alien to me now. As for that veg patch, more work than flowers but so much more rewarding especially in the pocket! Then there's the sustainable energy sector, biofuel (just a pity it's not hemp - yet), the hybrid and electric cars etc. It's making the usual suspects a lot of money but the average person's attitude and lifestyle has changed enormously since 1985 about things like that. Didn't the car that came back from the future run on rubbish??

That's just one example, I'm sure if you delve a little deeper you'll find more ways that people and our lifestyle has changed since the mid 80's.

OT: Anyone remember this program? Used to be one of my favourites

edit on 17-5-2012 by HighMaintenance because: meh

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I think the reason why it seems there is little change is that from the 50's onwards, things were only made to look different, or changes were practical. Things changed aesthetically rather than internally. Phones remained the same inside, but changed externally, cars the same. Technology was more about practical every day things.

Today, it's all about how many bits can you cram onto a millimetre sized die and keep it cool. How instead of making things look futuristic (as if that makes any difference) it's about making them smaller, faster, and less expensive.

Today, a landline is second to almost non existent in a house where mobile technology has become common place. The humble television is now a media centre, complete with internet access (and who remembers webtv and the obnoxious people who used it lol), radio is now DAB+ and your phonograph fits in your pocket along with the 7000 compact discs you've purchased over the years.

Your movie going experience is close to the same, but now the emphasis is on 3D whereas it was once a novelty. So much that it's now being used for High Definition Sports telecasting direct to your home media centre.

Hover boards never came to be, because the kids prefer to use a WII remote to shoot each other, but clothes that dry themselves, iirc, was almost a reality once..

As for costs... well, that is always going to be subjective really. a can of pepsi today is what.. $3.50 or more? 30 years ago I remember paying 45 cents a can.

I remember paper money. when coins were 1,2,5,10,20,50 cents only... *just after we changed from the old money*...

and I'm having the hardest time working out how to install a form of debian onto my 7" android tablet....

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I still think the biggest thing we (as a society) never really predicted, was the technology that not only allows us access to instant information about ANYTHING, but also allows us to talk to anyone, anywhere, even while we're walking down the street.

To me, that still feels like science fiction come to life.

I really do want a hoverboard though...

top topics

join