It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious sensitivity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
So this has been bothering me for a while now, I dont understand why people get so upset with what they automatically coin as religion bashing. Almost every religion I know as well as most religious people I know get offended when someone says something about their beliefs. Even atheists lash out when the religious question their beliefs. Everyone claims that their religion is right though and points out why they deem those other religions as being satan inspired or false teachings or violent. They point out the historical figures in the books and point out the evils they committed. Yet if a non believer says one thing they are automatically just trolling and religion bashing. I mean this doesnt go for everyone but these people are demeaning everyone elses religion then pout and get ticked when someone question their beliefs. I believe if those of you out their who bash anything about anyone elses religion cant handle it when others do it to you without throwing a fit then you have some major growing up to do. I just sit their and laugh when I see this hypocrisy thrown all over discussions. How dare you point out negative aspects of my beliefs your beliefs are wrong I cant believe that atheist dares to say anything about my god blah blah blah. I am not trying to offend anyone with this I was just wondering if you could see the hypocrisy as well.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Critique the ideas, not the opponent.

This is the answer. Always will be the answer. I mean ... Aristotle has been dead for how long? You'd THINK we would have caught on by now.

Leave it to the dead guy to make us look bad

edit on 17-5-2012 by followtheevidence because: classified

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

People have long warned not to discuss religion and politics with friends, but I don't think avoiding uncomfortable situations is the answer.

The answer is to allow others to have their own opinion while keeping my own. It has become one of the hardest things for most people to do. It's like if your opinion is different than mine, I MUST argue with you or try to make you think like I do! It's ridiculous, IMO.

It does seem that the religious are far more sensitive than most others... I think it's because people usually learn religion when they are very young and it becomes so much a part of who they are that when their deity or religion is insulted, they feel that it's a direct and personal insult against THEM and they feel insecure and offended about it. They identify so much with their religion (which is what the religious leaders want) that they cannot separate a jab against their religion from a personal jab.

I am not sensitive at all about my personal beliefs. (Well, no more sensitive than I am about my hair, clothes or car). You don't share my beliefs? That's fine.
It takes all kinds.

I think personal beliefs are an individual thing and I don't understand the draw of religion, except to feel like you're part of a group. There's some feelings of safety and security in that. But I have never understood how someone's PERSONAL beliefs come from the same book that millions of others use to form their "personal beliefs".

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I've seen a few that get pretty heated over the topics of religion (or lack there of, w/e) on the threads. That beings said, I have a few people who I've chatted with on ATS that couldn't be more polar opposite in the belief in Christ and all that. But we've never flung mud or called names.

You can discus something without it turning into a personal insult fest. Zeer0 & Akargon come to mind pretty quick when I think of those who don't agree with my faith, but have never been insulting of it either.

So, I agree there are those that take what should be intellectual discussions and drag them through the mud, but they only look like the greater percentage because they yell the loudest. While the rest of us continue to coolly and calmly discus the topic at hand.

Atleast, that's my perspective...I usually skip a post once it starts flinging mud. When you lower yourself to insults, all you prove is you don't know enough about what you're talking about, and have to resort to school yard bullying.

Just my two cents.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I simply don't care if a person wants to believe in God or not.

A different belief doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't hurt people.

But what I can't stand are the people who abuse Christianity's message in order to control people and put people down and gain special privileges over other people, such as scapegoating an entire group because they don't believe in the same thing, or saying that people who don't believe in God can't be moral or good people.

For one thing Jesus outright says there is no one good save God alone.

For another thing, it's none of your business what a person believes, as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

And the simple truth is there are far too many Christians and other theists out there who are using their religion to hurt people, to put them down and keep them down, such as when they stupidly start ranting about how all atheists oppress all Christians everywhere in the world, or how all Jews are evil and the cause of putting down those poor oppressed Palestinians.

Do what thou wilt at no harm to others shall be the whole of the law.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Almost every religion I know as well as most religious people I know get offended when someone says something about their beliefs.

There are many reasons for this.

1. Most highly religious people are entirely close-minded about the possibility of any other religion being correct or "more correct" than their own. Therefore, they see any attack on their religion as a personal attack or at least an attack on everything they believe in.

2. Many highly religious people are not that informed on their own faith, its history, or even specific parts of the religion that are now outdated or viewed as morally wrong. For example, how many Christians know that in more than one place in the Bible (specifically Leviticus), it advocates DEATH as a fitting punishment for homosexuals. Is there ANY actual Christian who would agree to this, even though it is right there in the Book? I don't think so.

3. Many highly religious people have preset notions about the beliefs of other faiths, without ever taking the time to actually educate themselves on said faiths. If they did, they'd realize just how similar many of them are. Indeed, quite a few of the world's major religions share certain people as key figures of the faith. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam specifically share many people and ideas, and holy lands. Buddhism and Hinduism also share many concepts.

The bottom line, such discussion threatens their way of life, and so it immediately takes on an adversarial tone, instead of a polite discussion. On the flip side, there do exist many highly religious people who can detach and have a serious conversation about their faith and comparative religion, but they are rare breeds.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Star and Flag for content alone, friend. I happen to be in full agreement on this matter. As you may or may not know, I myself have gained a few "labels" from the self-styled Internet preachers that come here to "save" us all. To some, if you are not a card carrying member of one of the Jesus Cults, you are automatically a Satanist, or a follower of Satan, and if you read any "Hidden Knowledge", better known as Occult Teachings, then you are automatically in league with Demons. And if you read the Bible and research it through, and you are not being guided by the Christian "Holy Spirit" who supposedly tells you what it means....then you simply do not know what it says, according to them, that is.

As far as I am concerned, all of the Jesus Cults are not only completely brainwashed, they are all in for a major surprise one fine day.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for commenting and showing some insight on this topic. My main problem is that if I say something about about an important figure or a certain subject in any said religion those that are a bit too sensitive on the subject flip, yet when addressing another religion they do it in the same way. Sometimes in very nasty ways. I dont get why these people get on these forums and get all sensitive when people point out cold hard facts or do not agree with their ideology. It seems to be a bit masochistic to come to an internet forum knowing people are going to denounce your religion and getting upset knowing what people were going to say anyway but then posting it anyway. Just astounds me... I dont get the rationale behind it.

new topics

top topics

join