It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs and 'falling leaf' or pendulum motion.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Speculation about the physics of UFO pendulum motion:

The UFOCAT documents 180 instances of pendulum or “falling leaf” maneuver by UFOs. In two of those instances (Reports Number 16,982 and 87,715) the maneuver is executed in reverse. The UFO falls like a leaf UPWARDS before accelerating away. UFOs are perfectly capable of going straight up or down. Belgian radar recorded a drop by a UFO of 3,000 feet in 2 seconds. So why the occasional pendulum or falling leaf motion?

There do not appear to be any sketches by witnesses of this motion, upwards or downwards, but it probably looked something like this:

link

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
More from Spokane, Washington on July 5th, 1947:

Providence Journal, Providence, USA, page 3, on July 6, 1947

Eight flying saucers were reported today to have made a landing on a mountainside near St. Maries, Idaho in full view of 10 persons.

Mrs. Walter Johnson of suburban Dishman said the saucers came down in timber there Thursday evening but had not been reported until she returned to her home in Dishman today.

The saucers were seen to fall near Butler's Bay on the St. Joe River six miles west of St. Maries, where Mrs. Johnson was visiting her parents.

She said they came into view at an extreme speed, traveling from the south to the north. Suddenly, they slowed, she said, and then "fluttered like leaves to the ground."

"The mysterious part was that we couldn't see them after the landing," said Mrs. Johnson. "We could see them flutter down into the timber, yet we couldn't see that they did anything to the trees."

Both the CAA and the Army Air Corps officials were notified of the incident but no immediate plans for an air search of the area were announced.

link

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
This is one of the CLUE of UFO Phenomena origin and the entities behind it.

nowadays there are almost no knowledge tying UFO phenomena and Occultism since most UFOLOGIST tend to view UFO phenomena as nuts and bolts alien spacecraft. A good background in Occult History should add to one's perspective in researching UFO Phenomena.

Great thread Karl12.. as usual a great thread with real UFO phenomena data/pattern that got way fewer post than those threads like alien-corpse, disclosure, conspiracy etc..

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
What if a flying saucer or triangle has six engines and one has to be shut down for safety because a part is about to fail? Might running on five cause some strange-looking movements from a craft that operates on gravimetric propulsion but normally uses six and they work in pairs?

A car doesn't look quite as graceful when coming to a stop with a flat tire, etc.

And if these things do use gravimetric propulsion, any unusual or even jerky movements aren't going to be felt by the occupants any more than what looks like 100-g acceleration to us causes them to spill their beverages.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Appreciate the posts guys -haven't got time to reply at the mo but here's another relevant example listed as 'unidentified' in the BlueBook files from Otis Air Force Base on October 10th, 1952.

There is a report for that date from Otis AFB, approximately 80 nautical miles southeast of Nashua. The time of the sighting isn't clear, as it was reported as being sighted between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, but was also reported as lasting 15-20 minutes. The Project Blue Book file consists primarily of a telex from Otis AFB to several recipients, including Air Defense Command, Project Blue Book, and the Directorate of Intelligence in Washington D.C., the relevant portion of which reads...

(1) OBJECT APPEARED TO BE A BLINKING WHITE LIGHT THAT FLEW UPWARD THEN STARTED A PENDULUM LIKE ACTION FOR APPROX 20 MINUTES AND THEN SHOT STRAIGHT UP PD THE OBJECT MOVED AT A TERRIFIC RATE OF SPEED PD OBJECT MADE NO NOISE AND SHOWED NO MEANS OF PROPULSION (2) SIGHTING TIME WAS FROM 2330Z TO 0030Z ON 10 OCT 52 PD (3) OBSERVED VISUALLY PD (4) OBSERVED FROM PORCH OF AIRMEN'S BARRACKS AT OTIS AFB CMA FALMOUTH CMA MASS FOR APPROX 15-20- MINUTES PD (3) PERSONS MAKING OBSERVATION WERE THREE AMN...

Link

Pdf File - documents

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Pendulum motion also reported in the Father Gill case from Papa New Guinea, June, 1959:

Father Gill's log of events and a summary report by his colleague, the Reverend Norman Cruttwell:

"Another peculiar thing was this shaft of blue light. which emanated from what appeared to be the center of the deck. The men appeared to be illuminated not only by this light reflected on them, but also by a sort of glow which completely surrounded them as well as the craft. The glow did not touch them, but there appeared to be a little space between their outline and the light.. . . ''

Father Gill described the movements of the objects, especially the smaller disks, as very erratic. They sometimes moved rapidly, sometimes slowly, approaching and receding, changing direction, and at times swinging back and forth like a pendulum. One object moved away and appeared to descend toward Wadobuna village, and everyone thought it was going to land. The Papuana ran down on the beach, but the object swooped up and away over the mountains, turning red as it disappeared.

Link

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
My stray thought about the falling leaf or pendulum motion UFOs is that they are only appearing to move that way to us, whereas in the multidimensional reality in which they exist, it might be a straight line. The shortest distance between two points not in the same dimensional structure.

A version of that old "Flatland" notion Carl Sagan used to talk about. Because of our limitations in perceiving only 3-4 dimensions, we don't get the whole, true picture.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ive witnessed UFO's drop orbs out here above houses... And do high speed low flybys .. i mean like right over head. Always at night. Im in covington WA.

2 different kinds... Blue triangular light pattern and a bright white light... it was night both times so i couldnt actually make out the craft. But both times were silent and directly overhead. The bright white light made it daylight out... However did not interfere with my phone i was on it.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'll take a stab at an explanation. Observers see lights lining the outside rim of the craft that emit light and dont look like windows. Observers say the craft rotates slower during the off axis rotation "pendulum motion" but then rotates much faster such that the rim lights look as one before taking off at incredible speed.

Many powerful man made devices such as lasers work on bursts of incredible power for only fractions of a second becuase the device cant sustain that energy level in anything but a short burst before recharging. Also think of the Gatling gun: multiple rotating barrels becuase no single barrel could handle the sustaned energy.

So, whatver advanced propulsion engine these UFO's have, maybe its works best under high energy bursts and maybe you get the most thrust by having lots of these engines on your ship. So you place them around the perimeter of your ship and then rotate your ship really quickly and fire off each thruster at just the right frequency such that the thruster being fired is always at the back of the ship.

This is great for high speed horizontal movement but what about moving directly up or down under gravity. All your thrusters pointing horizontally is not so good. So now the craft has to rotate off axis so that all at one point have a downwards facing thrust vector at one point in the rotation, hence verticle lift. Only, such off axis rotation must be far to violent for the craft at the high spin rate for horizontal travel so the rotation is slowed down greatly and the frequency of the thrusters is slowed down so that the thruster fired is always the one in the rotation facing downward rotating all the way around the ships perimeter.

Just a theory.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It is possible the craft is performing this maneuver to confuse the observers, many saucer sightings also report the craft just sitting in the sky motionless, which tells me that they are capable of maintaining a stable fixed position in the sky also.

It also might have to do with the way the craft is operated by the pilot meaning maybe they have a "mental" or "mind" connection with the craft and the mind is constantly moving so the craft is constantly moving . I think that might also explain why some witnesses see a craft darting around like an insect...

I read somewhere way back that the military tried to mentally connect a test pilot with recovered disk tech but the pilot could never maintain connection with the interface because he lacked the ability to focus uninterrupted and constantly lost the connection...maybe human brains are just not sophisticated enough to handle a stable connection with an alien mind-controlled craft...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Maybe the "falling leaf" craft aren't optimized for use in gravity. Maybe a second type of craft added a downward thruster for optimal use in gravity such that they can remain still without the falling leaf motion. Maybe maybe maybe. It's fun to speculate. I doubt there is only one type of craft if these Ufos do exist.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

ManInAsia
It could also be a type or defensive maneuver, making it's trajectory unpredictable. I think this idea makes more sense as they should be able to control the craft without such a seemingly random movement.

Repeating myself but this motion is noticed when the craft approach the ground and slow down, so that is why I suggested some sort of unpredictable motion to prevent it being targeted. However it could be something else entirely.

We could also be seeing the image of the object distorted through the field projected around it i.e. it may be stationary but a mirage of it is created when the object is close to the ground, either by a change in it's field related to it's proximity to the ground or again as a deliberate defensive ploy.

If one has observed animals and insects you can see they also have defensive instinct mechanisms that kick in, a mosquito has at least two I know of where it goes into erratic flight or else drops vertically straight down when it senses mortal danger in the form of your hand coming towards it.

I'd also be inclined to agree with Adon that there is no optimal configuration for any artificial craft or organism in all environments, there are inherent design limitations i.e. what might be good for crossing half the galaxy might be hard to work with in the atmosphere. What might give optimal camouflage or maneuverability may be too energy intensive etc.

Good contribution Adon!

edit on 25-1-2014 by ManInAsia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Blue Shift

My stray thought about the falling leaf or pendulum motion UFOs is that they are only appearing to move that way to us, whereas in the multidimensional reality in which they exist, it might be a straight line. The shortest distance between two points not in the same dimensional structure.

A version of that old "Flatland" notion Carl Sagan used to talk about. Because of our limitations in perceiving only 3-4 dimensions, we don't get the whole, true picture.

As always, very interesting stuff mate
I certainly don't pretend to understand it all but a friend on another board has also mentioned something similar and brought up the 'hierarchy problem' (which has gravity leaking into other dimensions) and 'Brane cosmology' which apparently states that a 4D universe is a 'brane' in higher dimensional space -it's speculated that if you are using gravity propulsion then your space craft is 'winking in and out of space time' thus producing a falling leaf effect - I could have it completely wrong though.

karl 12

The craft was then approximately motionless above the Saint-Félix point; but it soon started to go down with a slow rocking movement, like a falling leaf, and disappeared soon behind the point, which is a high hill. The appearance had lasted several minutes.

link

Also looks like there's another falling leaf report involved in the French UFO flap of 1954.

1954 – Dr. Robert, driving through Baillolet, France at nightfall, saw four objects flying slowly in echelon formation at about 300 meters altitude. One of UFOs dropped abruptly to the ground with a falling leaf motion, landing only 100 meters away. The witness felt an electric shock as the engine and headlights of his car died, and his car stopped the moment the object touched the ground. Incapable of moving, Dr. Robert watched as a figure about 1.2 meters (4 feet) tall moved around in the light of the object, then all went dark. Some time later the headlights came back on by themselves, and Dr. Robert saw the craft take off toward the north.

Sources: Aime Michel, Flying Saucers and the Straight Line Mystery, p. 185; Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, pp. 231-232.

Link

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
With an axially symmetric craft, ascent or descent in a tight spiral might look just like a 'pendulum'/falling-leaf motion.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Pretty remarkable UFO pendulum motion report from Medellin, Spain on June 14th, 1974:

UFO with occupants approaches witness and hovers over farm

Santiago Pulido Romero, 46, was going to his father's farm when he saw an object flying at low level. It was "round on the bottom and with a sort of cone-shaped tower on top." When he switched his car lights on, the object came towards him at very high speed, only to move away from he turned out the lights. Inside the craft, Santiago could see three tall men, "who seemed to be holding on to some sort of control levers" and wearing helmets.

" 'How did the apparatus move?' I asked him.

" 'At very high speed and spinning in the same spot, although at times, it zigzagged or remained still, or swayed like a pendulum of a clock. For a moment it would look like a star, and then, in the next moment, it was right there beside me. At times it seemed to me to move like a whirlwind, you know what I mean? — like an incredible maelstrom...Well, it's just that I haven't the ability to explain it; words fail me!'

"What shape was it?'

" 'Round on the bottom and with a sort of cone-shaped tower on top. The round part was transparent and a great yellow light came from inside it. The tower shone and looked like a metal structure.'

Link

Another account from Colombia in 1963:

Castillo worked then as an engineer with the Costa Rican Electrical Company and was at the volcano with his boss and another engineer. Suddenly, around 6 p.m., they noticed what they first thought was an airplane, which was then joined by two other objects flying very close to the mountains. As one came near them, they saw it was disc-shaped with a dome; it descended in a falling leaf-like motion to few meters above the ground. “Suddenly there was like a tremendous high frequency sound which almost blew my ears,” said Castillo, “but I was unable to move… I noticed that I was paralyzed.”

Costa Rica UFO Dossier – Pt 2

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Possible pendulum motion UFO report from Weir, Lancashire, England on 10th of December, 1982?

A husband and wife with their four-year-old son were traveling near the small village of Weir near Deerplay Moor. They saw an odd fast flashing light and stopped their car to see. It, however quickly disappeared. But now the wife saw a bright white light directly in front of them in the distance but approaching,

As it grew nearer, the light resolved into two lights with a red rectangle between them. It's motion was peculiar. It would zig-zag but more than that it seemed to do so "in steps"--- sudden changes in direction, side-to-side and even backwards sometimes. Despite these motion peculiarities, the thing was ultimately to pass directly over their heads. It was always slow, and dead quiet. As it approached, the couple felt that they were seeing more of the object, from the "frontal" lights and red strip, to part of the arc of lights extending backwards, and finally to the whole object of two red strips connected by semi-circular bands of white lights [these were either lights packed very close together or an actual band of light].

While directly overhead, two white lights raced rapidly to the horizon in the direction that their slower moving visitor was heading. The lighted array seemed all one object, which they presumed to be shaped like "a rugby ball".

As Professor Swords mentions at the link below, it does seem there a quite a few similarities between this object and one witnessed one year later in Ireland:

Several witnesses had reported odd lights in the sky. Two of those witnesses decided to drive home puzzling over what they'd seen [ten red lights "swarming like bees"]. But it wasn't a completely peaceful drive. As they proceeded down this country lane, their car was "buzzed" itself and followed by an odd object. This thing didn't stop stalking them until they reached a larger road.

What was it like? A large object [twice the size of a helicopter], with two red rectangular lights connected by semicircles of closely packed white lights.

Asked what was the object's whole shape, the guys said: it was shaped like a "rugby ball."

Coincidence Again, and Again, and....

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Could it be that the UFOs are falling through Earth"s magnetic field? If the craft produces a meissner field which excludes all external magnetic fields, then this would be the reason. It would be like dropping a flat stone in water. They both would have that falling leaf motion.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
As this thread has been started by quoting Hill, it seems a bit odd to me, not to mention, his explanation for this motion.
Hill experimented a lot with flying platforms. And there they realized that to lose height with the same kind of lifting force, you need to make a rocking motion or a wobble. Like that part of your lifting force vector goes sideways and you can adjust like that a bit the height just by doing the rocking, falling leaf or wobbling.

He concluded that from several observations it has always been stated, that upon a start, it always first needed some time to power up something (usually also the sound goes from a hum to a high pitch).
So he concluded that the propulsion system delivering the lift is not so fast and easily adjustable and therefore this often seen rocking motion to lose a bit of height without the need to decrease the propulsion.

It also would give you some safety, as you would always immediately go into a hover as soon as you stop the rocking or wobbling. Or if you have more lift, a wobbling would allow you to keep level, and as soon as you stop wobbling you would fly upwards. It would give you kind of an easy quick prestart, without needing to wait until the propulsion system reacts to the demand for a stronger lift.

I also get the impression that In todays reports this is reported much less common. I simply think, because in the meanwhile this has been better solved technically. But I also do think these crafts are man made, which would match such an evolutionary development. But that's another story, not on topic...
edit on 26-7-2014 by hulli because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Almost identical police officer testimony from the Michigan 'swamp gas' case:

"It would swing back and forth like a pendulum, then shoot upward at tremendous speed, hover and then come down just as fast."

Washtenaw County deputies B. Bushroe

Thread

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
that link to "the physics of ufos" goes to a bizarrely unrelated page now. it's some sort of homework help page called "the physics of ufos" which, as far as i can tell, had nothing to do with ufos at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join