It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extent of Human Radio Broadcasts in Universe - Pic.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgil

Doh...
Thanks for clarifying.
I wasn't thinking in 3 dimensions.
Must have left my thinking cap at home...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

See the post above yours...

ETA : Radio signal IS light. Its just on another frequency, invisible to your eyes.
see Electromagnetic Spectrum.

Sorry for the wikipedia link, but they have some decent articles on certain subjects...

edit on 18-5-2012 by SolidGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I have a question...how does it reach 200 light years, when the radio broadcast are only around 100 years old? I understand that it's omnidirectional, but what we're talking about is radio broadcast, not light. Are the radio broadcasts traveling faster than the speed of light? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone care to explain?

Think of it like this:

You stand in a field with 1 person 100m to your left, another person 100m to your right. You shout so that both can only just barely hear you. Your shout's hearing range from you is 100m but the distance between the 2 other people who can hear it is 200m. Therefore there is a 200m bubble of sound. Now transfer that to 3 dimensional space.

Hope that makes sense.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SolidGoal

Duh....I don't know what I was thinking...The "radio" part was making me think of sound. It makes sense now that I remember that radio waves are part of the spectrum..Thanks for the reminder...

edit on 18-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

No worries, we all have our "Duh" moments, just like I did a couple of posts earlier...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Blue Shift

It is! If you take off in a rocket ship it'll take you the same amount of time to reach the edge of the universe no matter which direction you go. To me, that says we're at the center.

That is completely false and I have no idea where you pulled that nonsense from. Science isn't even certain there is an end to the Universe, we can't see far enough, and since the Universe is expanding at the speed of light we never will see the end. Furthermore, the most currently accepted theory concerning the shape of the Universe is the infinite flat model, which would predict there is no end.
edit on 18-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

If we can't see far enough out to the end of the universe, how do we know the universe is expanding at the speed of light??

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
RF transmissions obey the `inverse square rule `

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Blue Shift

It is! If you take off in a rocket ship it'll take you the same amount of time to reach the edge of the universe no matter which direction you go. To me, that says we're at the center.

That is completely false and I have no idea where you pulled that nonsense from. Science isn't even certain there is an end to the Universe, we can't see far enough, and since the Universe is expanding at the speed of light we never will see the end. Furthermore, the most currently accepted theory concerning the shape of the Universe is the infinite flat model, which would predict there is no end.
edit on 18-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

If we can't see far enough out to the end of the universe, how do we know the universe is expanding at the speed of light??

It's actually expanding faster than the speed of light, we know this because of observing redshift from other galaxies. This means one day we will not be able to see any other galaxies with telescopes for the rest of eternity, because the light will never reach us since the distance between us and them increases faster than the speed of light.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Well that answered a whole lot of nothing for me.....lol

Sorry it just must be over my head at the speed of light....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join