It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

running on empty, frustrated with the bankers and other circumstance, Any ideas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This month has really been a bad minth for me and a friend of mine. Friend is 81 year old widow, and my friend of 20 + years. The mother I never really knew but lost at a young age to cancer.

First off, the property management company to whom she writes out the rent check to every month for the past 3 years decided to deposit a clearly post dated check the day before her Social Security check was due to deposit or the first time since we've lived here, they've always honored the 24 hr day before. Well naturally she was charged.. .. a gulp $35.00 overdraft charge because the stupid bank honored the post dated check before the third. Now that we were screwed there further more it cost another final balance after ever bill was paid two months worth of light and two months worth of phone and car insurance yada, yada, beause we have no other visible means of support(because I don't speak Spanish or drive so I'm further screwed in this country of my birth I can't find a job because of legal problems with a credit card if you catch my drift) she had a nasty fall and was in the hospital for 3 weeks and now undergoing therapy for her arm and walking problems since she had been on ordered bed rest the first week and the hospital discharged her before seeing she could walk properly (I know Welcome to Obamacare) now she's having to do a 20 day therapy program in a facility, that has no phone in the room, you have to have someone whoever it is that has access to a portable phone to talk to her for a few minutes.
So, she can't chew out the property management company or the bank for doing what they did . Otherwise the people are fairly nice there.
The property management knows I'm here and they still don't do business with me. The bank won't do business with me, I'm not on anything of hers which is good because of afore mentioned problems of mine. Any ideas?
Calling the bank every week to get a total did nothing the 2 remaining checks must've come in after the bank told us every thing was o.k. with the balance and we were in agreement then.
Just a real rant to get it off my chest when your poor the rich always take even more advantage of you o make you poorer. There is one thing they keep saying is true there are two Americas, one in which the rich flourish and one where the poor don't have a chance.

edit on 17-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

edit on 17-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

edit on 17-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The "poor" does have a chance. I have been homeless twice and built my life back up through hard work and sacrifice. It took two years of living in a tent and saving every nickle I could save until I was able to invest in my own business. This is not the first time I gave it all up and applied myself to my goals. It took less than seven years to start making up for the time spent with nothing. I now have a nice place to live, a few nice things, a couple of toys and a solid six figures in the bank.

I was raised a welfare baby and rebelled. I never got a high school diploma or a college degree although I have attended both. Life is about what you make of it and how hard you are willing to work to make your own path through it.

Sometimes you get knocked down a couple of times and get up or you don't. Either way the choice is yours. Some people wait for a check to show up, others work to get paid.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I respect your work ethics and applaud you for being able to pull yourself up by your own hands while your advice is good and sound, I'm at an age where they start discriminating, when they say they don't, and work around any possible means to be accused of age discrimination. What works for some doesn't always work for others.
Hopefully with your means of success building you'll never go through what we're going through. We don't like having to depend on the system for things , unfortunate, that we have to.
Prior to the beginning of recession was working, my friend had worked and put into this ailing system of Social
Securiy for a total of 48 years when she was laid off from the last job in she had in 2008 due to the recession. She certainly didn't deserve to be faced with all of this, she really always was a very caring and giving person, to those in need.

She was able to hold down a job even with COPD oxygen therapy 24/7 until the recession. Unfortunate that she was "forced to take a retirement because she hates not having a job to go to.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

I was not intending to make slight or fun of your situation. I was simply trying to help you understand that you have to think outside the box. If you rely on jobs from others they own your reality, not you.

It has always been tough out there for people that do not grow up with money in the family.

BTW next time you think you are poor try doing these things it will help put things in perspective.
1. Take a hot shower for as long as you want, realize you are doing it in water that people in poor countries wish they could drink.
2. Turn on a house light - Whole house electrical is a luxury.
3. Post on the internet - Poor people don't even have computers, much less internet.
4. Go to a grocery store and look around at the variety of rice. You have access to more and a larger variety than many people in many Countries.
5. Don't even get me started on Television.

Good luck with your situation.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your answer was flip, if that's the way you took it. Just having a really bad day. Thanks for the reminders it helped. We got this computer a couple of years ago on a really, really good sale from a big box store.

I have to accompany her to dr's office and the normal transport company didn't show up or even call as a courtesy to tell her what was happening. Her appointment was at 10:15pm. The director of the facility was just as upset caalled drs. office to tell them what was happening and this wasn't our fault and arranged for a different transport company to pick her up and bring her back. She had all ready been waiting for two hours for the original company and we didn't get back to the facility until 1 pm. today.
Those stupid oxygen tanks only contain so much, she can go without it for awhile in an emergency, butt doesn't like to do so. Until she got on this. I never really thought about how many hours these people have, I've seen them in malls, grocery stores, restaurants, now I have new respect for people who have to deal with this, and its not always smoking that causes it, a lady that was in the lobby of the drs. office said she never smoked or was voluntarily around smokers at all got stuck on the oxygen after a heavy cold. She knew someone else whose practically a chain smoker is 86 and had no cancer or breathing concerns at all go figure.
Thanks again for the reminders, and well wishes.

new topics

top topics

join