It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone from Montreal on here protesting about your tuition hikes? I've got something to say...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Education for future generations should not cost a dime. Its our #ing future generations?! Who the # will run it if we cant afford education?!

We have rich off their ass corporates telling us to get a job, guess what, I work two part time jobs, go to school and still only eat Ramen for breaky, lunch and dinner. You tell me to grow up?!

EDIT: not in Quebec but I feel their pain.
edit on 17-5-2012 by AaronWilson because: (no reason given)

EDIT 2: [angst /off]

Where was I?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

Sure I can feel your anger. At one point after reading about how education is free in Libya, I thought that would be great here too. In fact, I still do. But to disrupt others while learning is wrong and it has changed my view on the appropriateness of it all. But let's assume university is free in Canada for a moment. Imagine that scenario with our western ideologies and the welfare system. What would happen to the quality of the education system if every unemployed, unmotivated lazy individual took your slot to make a life long career of being a school bum? How would you feel about it then?

And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying hardships on students equates to growing up. I'm saying they can skip school and protest on the grass all they want, just don't interfere with others who don't follow their lead. Even while writing that part something occurred to me. If 50% were protesting while the other 50% remained in school, well obviously they (protesters) would fail and lose the money they put into school. So now, university is canceled until August. Which means no one will lose their tuition. Nice play.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You guys cant see $h!^, really.
Comparing tuition fees is ridiculous, its not because you guys was idiot enough to pay that much money to go to college that everyone needs to, thats just selfish thinking.

I hear all day long we cant afford as a society to give them free education.
Thats a pile of BS reasoning.

Now you tell me we cant afford as a society to educate our kids.
While big corporation, like Cellphone Service Providers are making billion in profit and aren't taxed enuff, Heck, they got soo much money they are planning to buy an NHL Hockey team and finance part of the new building.
Insurance company, try to tell me we cant taxed these burglars just a tiny bit more so our kids doesn't end up owning half a million in debt(10 year w/interest) just to become an airline pilot for AA?
Because you know how bad things can go when you own that much money and doesn't see any light at the end... up above.

Anyways that was just an hypothetical situation. What is really going on is just a carefully planned operation by the Liberals of Jean Charest to quiet down the constructions contracts scandal. Its working perfectly tbh, since every Baby Boomers and their kids are way done with tution fees, so they are all backing up Charest big time.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Star for you. Let's not forget the CGEP pillar in the Quebec education structure. It took a while for taxpayers and students to accept that concept a few years ago, but in selling the idea, the notion of affordability was loudly touted. Education was considered a right and not an elitist privilege. It thus became part of the culture.

Let's face it, our parents told us they wanted a better life for us than what they had, just as we want a better one for our offspring. However, it isn't stacking up that way any more. Why not taks a stand when the opportunity presents itself to say enough already! It's a sad reality that they start their first job with trying to pay off school loans of sixty-five thousand rather than paying off a mortgage.

So I am behind them, though I abhor violence and do not condone that. I am fully confident that anarchists and police infiltrators are a part of that, as they are in every manifestation. (look up Montebello infiltators if you doubt what I say) I am an adult and a parent and despite the risks, I am considering joining their ranks on the weekend, because as a grad of a Quebec university, I know it is about a lot more than fees, and maybe it's time the parents joined the kids no matter how horrible the press makes them appear to be.

I found the following article from the Canadian Center for Policy Alternatives about the situation.
Here's an analysis to reply to the OP

edit on 17-5-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I dare any
French or English Student
too throw a bottle/brick/ etcc,,
with there Mama and/or Papa are standing beside them,,

Gotta luv Canada,,

Me.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

opps,,

I dare any
French or English Student
too throw a bottle/brick/ etcc,,
with there Mama and/or Papa are standing beside them,,

Gotta luv Canada,,

ya worth a double, post

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

lol Leave it to 90% of the Anglophone population to b tch and moan every time the Francophones stand up for their beliefs (keep in mind they have been the first to protest against every single war of aggression that we have been dragged into since our inception, as well as every corporate "totalitarian tiptoe" bill that gets passed without even making the news.). I have way more respect, at this point, for Canada's better half (French Canadians) than I will ever have for 99% of my english speaking brethren. This is because, historically, the Anglophones in this country always seem willing to bend at the will of TPTB (hell, most of them still believe that Harper actually has a say in governmental policy), while the Francophones always push back. This is the source of my respect. I know it doesn't mean much on a forum, but you have my support. I have seen videos of the PD's loose-cannon responses. Just remember to keep an even keel, as they want you to mess up and get emotional, giving them an excuse to arrest you. That is what they are trying to do. They hit and kick people until they get mad enough to strike back and then they arrest them on the grounds of "assaulting a public servant." Don't fall for it. Show them that you are better than that. Stay frosty.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I counter your dare with one of my own. I dare you to go out and actually research the topic before going on a public forum and antagonizing people that you know nothing about. French Canadians deserve alot more respect than any American I ever met. The fact that the media condemns them left, right and center is confirmation that they are being repressed, just like the rest of us, but they seem to be the only ones who see it.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by buster2010

No I'm not a sheep. In fact, I have had my eyes opened years ago. You're missing the point. Quebec is cheap as borscht for edumactation. Why do you feel it is necessary to disrupt classes for others? What do you want? What exactly do you want to achieve? You had a collective agreement to freeze tuition hikes and everything was fine just a week ago. And now you're back at it? You got the government's attention and got what you demanded. But still not good enough for you eh?

The sad reality is you guys and gals are too young to notice how spoiled and immature you're behaving. The sad reality is you young people are letting your emotions and hormones decide what is best for your future and not your heads. How come no one else is rioting for cheap education? Just Quebec. So everyone else (majority) are just lame complacent kids but Quebec for some reason is above everyone else?

Now if you had a nation wide protest that would be something different because that would mean everyone agrees with you. But they don't. They pay more than you and suck it up.

Well FYI, Quebec has always been kind of the leader when it comes to stirr up the # a bit. It's usually Quebec that wakes up the rest of the WASP part of Canada.
As for "cheap tuition". Why not NO tuition fees at all, as it is common in most European countries. Just keep a note average of 1.8 and don't double classes and semesters and you home free at age 27 - 29 with no student loans to pay back.
And while you are pissed that they "block" classes/traffic etc. I am glad they finally do it. Since I am a kid of the 60's/70's I had come to loathe the present generation for its lethargy. Not anymore! And again Quebec leads the pack.
And btw. Don't assume that ALL quebecers yell at you in French when you piss them off. I would reply to you in German, since this is after all my mother tongue.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

lol Leave it to 90% of the Anglophone population to b tch and moan every time the Francophones stand up for their beliefs (keep in mind they have been the first to protest against every single war of aggression that we have been dragged into since our inception, as well as every corporate "totalitarian tiptoe" bill that gets passed without even making the news.). I have way more respect, at this point, for Canada's better half (French Canadians) than I will ever have for 99% of my english speaking brethren. This is because, historically, the Anglophones in this country always seem willing to bend at the will of TPTB (hell, most of them still believe that Harper actually has a say in governmental policy), while the Francophones always push back. This is the source of my respect. I know it doesn't mean much on a forum, but you have my support. I have seen videos of the PD's loose-cannon responses. Just remember to keep an even keel, as they want you to mess up and get emotional, giving them an excuse to arrest you. That is what they are trying to do. They hit and kick people until they get mad enough to strike back and then they arrest them on the grounds of "assaulting a public servant." Don't fall for it. Show them that you are better than that. Stay frosty.

I could not have said it better!
I live in Montreal since the mid 70's. Also I do not speak much French, - (more lazyness and no need for it than any other reason) - I do admire the Quebeck "Kick the S**t out of them WASP's" mentality. I tried a few other provinces and felt "bored as hell" in them.
Glad to see them finally doing this what we did 40 years ago.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

This is what pisses me off.

Listen to what the girl tells these goons.

They have done this girl a huge favor. Maybe it will dawn on her that she is wasting her time and MONEY at this useless school. If you want to make money and have a good career don't go to a school where the objective is to pay money to complain and not go to school and learn.

FACE IT Universities are FILLED with kids going into to debt to skip class, cheat, drink beer and fail. Anyone with ambition and smarts should steer clear of schools like that and go ahead and learn what they need to learn to survive and get what they want.

I was one of those kids. I enjoyed it for a year before i moved on. It never cost me a dime and thank God. I think about friends of mine with USELESS degrees.. family members.. who toiled away for years trying to pay off the debt. What a waste.

Smart People with ambition will not fail. And if those schools are full of disruption, protest, distraction.. smart, ambitious people will not go there.. even if it's FREE!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Education for future generations should not cost a dime. Its our #ing future generations?! Who the # will run it if we cant afford education?!

We have rich off their ass corporates telling us to get a job, guess what, I work two part time jobs, go to school and still only eat Ramen for breaky, lunch and dinner. You tell me to grow up?!

EDIT: not in Quebec but I feel their pain.

EDIT 2: [angst /off]

Where was I?

IT DOESN'T COST ANYTHING! IT'S FREE! REAL Learning is FREE. DO you get it? Universities are a SCAM. Protesting them is POINTLESS. Don't go! What do you want to learn? What kind of job do you want? Are you going to university to get an expensive piece of paper? Just buy one online for 10 dollars and then go learn what you need to learn. You cannot turn a McDonald's into a health club. Stop trying to change university. Just don't go. DUH

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Well, star for you in return my friend. I do not condone violence either. Like you said this is about more than just a tuition fees. As for the Montebello/Toronto G20 bovine feces, those actions taken by police officers was deplorable. I can't believe those cop would help pave the way for their children to be subjected to fascist governance. Sometimes I wonder if I did a good thing by bringing kids into this world, then I see their faces and think...What the hell was I thinking...LOL...just kidding. Felt like I needed to lighten the mood abit.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger
They can't grow up, as they can't afford to.
They are the only ones who have the balls to do something about it in the country.

whaaa I can't get to work today...whaaaa they blocked some other kids out.....

These kids have no future, not with the way things are headed.

Can't afford to grow up? You're kidding right? You don't need to afford RESPECT. Last time I looked, students don't belong to a union and going to school does not make you a SCAB. And don't confuse balls with idiocy.

FS I call BS on you, to have real balls they would protest without hiding their identities. They are in fact acting like the spoiled brats that aren't getting their way. They are the one throughing a tantrum. In my book they'll get what they deserve. A good spanking.

As for their future... If they sat down and studied they might just have a better chance, don't you think?

btw here is the tuition payments I have to deal with as the student in Ontario that I am right now.

tuition

For the record I pay my own way and make the necessary sacrifices to be able to do that. My kids are also learning that to get that education they will be looking for, that they will have to work and pay for it as they go along. No free rides here. Independance and self reliance are the lesson.

Those cry babies in QC want everything handed to them because they have learned from their governement that that is the norm. A society cannot be expected to pay the way for each one of its members through taxes. Those that believe the big corporations should fund all the social programmes would rapidly find that these same corporations will go elsewhere to do business. The economic circle would be left broken and your jobs would disapear. Your land would then be in the same shape economically as Greece. Broke and at the mercy of everyone else.
edit on 18-5-2012 by palg1 because: A little more info

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
These protest are going day and night
with thousand of people
Its been like this for 93 days
the student have Occupy Montreal
4 studentsl put Montreal to its knee with the 3 smokes in the subway
all subway line were shot down for hours

They are starting speaking about curfew and putting the army in the street to protect public building
last night 4 banks had their windows broken
its getting more and more ugly
the student president that is the leader of these protest
really know how to speak to his young army

Protest like these never happened in Montreal
one of the protest had 300 000 people marching in the streets in downtown Mtl

Will the protests escalate ? yes .. already escalating
Will the student bow down to the government ? No
Will the Gov bow down to the students ? No

what good can come out of this when both side doesnt want to be defeated
edit on 5/18/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

You know, I tend to agree with you there a little. I didn't go to university. Sure it was rough for many years bouncing in and out of jobs with no real idea as to what I want to settle on. Until I did as an independent data/voice contractor. I learned everything on the job. And if it wasn't for my work history bouncing around, I would have never made it to this point. Now I have the potential to earn as much as a lawyer.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I starred you because it sounded like we agree. Despite how your post started off.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I can see why you harbor contempt towards these students. You never went to university.

It's so easy to see.

Resentment?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

BWAAA, save me from your pseudo psychology paaalease
Really, that was pretty funny!

If I was so angry at my lost chance, then I would be encouraging them Sherlock. And resenting those who could afford it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

reply to post by palg1

I starred you because it sounded like we agree. Despite how your post started off.

I apologize for that. Sometimes my sense of ha-ha gets a little muted. Vardoger was the real target.
edit on 18-5-2012 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join