It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone from Montreal on here protesting about your tuition hikes? I've got something to say...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Grow up.

Just before 9 a.m., the group moved into the metro. A half-hour later, they emerged from the Honoré-Beaugrand metro station in the city's east end and marched toward the Port of Montreal, blocking its entrance for about 30 minutes before moving on. Port officials said operations were not significantly affected.

Source

Making noise with drums and whistles, they moved through the main UQAM building, splitting up on a number of occasions as they searched for ongoing classes. A masked protester would yell out marching orders for the next target, such as: "Pavilion M!" A few men even grabbed two female students by the arm, telling them to get out. Some of the intruders jumped on desks and tables.

The teacher and students shouted at them to leave. But during the 10-minute standoff, most of the students eventually gave up and left the classroom, as did the teacher.

Source

Especially when you start preventing other's from getting their education that THEY paid for. How dare you prevent others from going to school. Even after a court ordered the school to stay open. Disgusting.

Consider this: A court order had forced the school to reopen; as a result, some teachers and parents helped striking students form a picket line to keep other kids out; riot police then burst through to help enforce the court order; and, in the end, the school closed again because teachers weren't prepared to teach. Read more: www.ctv.ca...

Source

And by the way, Quebec is the most affordable province in Canada to get higher education anyway, get a grip! What makes you so special ?

The average cost of undergraduate tuition for Canadians studying at Canadian universities was $4,917 in 2009/2010; however, university funding is a provincial responsibility, so tuition rates vary greatly from province to province. With tuition starting at $1,968 per year, Quebec is by far the cheapest province in which to study. Unfortunately, only residents of Quebec pay these low fees. Canadians from other provinces pay about $5,500 per year. McGill University and Concordia University, both in Montreal, are the main English-speaking universities in Quebec. Read more: The Cheapest Universities & Colleges in Canada | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

Source

I'm all for peaceful demonstration but seriously? This has been going on for months! Disrupting classes, official business and roads for those trying to make a living paying off their OWN educational debt.
When this all settles and you get back to school, don't be surprised to find a big 'F' on your papers for pissing everyone off.

And to think you young adults are going to get jobs after all this? Good luck because I would never hire you.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
starting at $1,968 per year,,dont know,,
how much for ST. FX ?? Halifax,, nova scotia,,Cape Breton,,

As far as that goes,,

how much for U.C.C.B in Sydney???

Anyone,,???

$1,968 per year,for a B.A?? how come no Qubec, Doctors around???
Or maybe i've got my Universities mixed up,,

LAVAL ,,,,,,,,,,,,$1,968 per year,?,,, really?

Me.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
They can't grow up, as they can't afford to.
They are the only ones who have the balls to do something about it in the country.

whaaa I can't get to work today...whaaaa they blocked some other kids out.....

These kids have no future, not with the way things are headed.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger
They are the only ones who have the balls to do something about it in the country.

Can't afford to grow up? You're kidding right? You don't need to afford RESPECT. Last time I looked, students don't belong to a union and going to school does not make you a SCAB. And don't confuse balls with idiocy.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This is what pisses me off.

Listen to what the girl tells these goons.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Not just my tuition, but my freedom is at stake. I don't care who we bother.
Anyway we've got something big planned before the end of the month.

Stay out of our way, as they say if you're not with us, you're gainst us.
Nuff said...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

You sit there and complain whenever someone is out there trying to make a difference.

What do you plan to do behind your computer, 'ol mighty one?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Well guess its too early too do a " just watch me " ?
So "BLAAA,,BLAAA,blaaa,, or was that baa,,baaa,, baaa,,?

for a surprise rebutal,, of,,some legitimete"?
questions?,,no? we'?,,blaaa,,blaaaa,,blaaa,, ok..it is UNIVERSITY.
fail.

What would Pierre do?

Me.
a canadian who thinks an increase in tuition fees, too a more in line Federal Resposability,, one price

for ALL PROViNCES,,,come on FEDS,,
cough up ,,,,,, for CANADIANS!

(200 million for an artificial lake?,,, how many Billion for Security??)

too the CONSTUTION TABLE,,,dare i say,,,
MEECH LAKE?

naww,,probably not,,

aND YA HEY,,, HOSERS ,,,LOL

how about using all that LOTTO Canada

Revenue and give ALL CANADIAN CHILDREN
BORN IN CANADA
IN THE LAST TEN YEARS,,
(well they could elect at that time,
,which UNIVERSITY they could go too ,,u know free of charge,,)

HEY CANADA whatever happened too

THAT DREAM?

Me.
edit on 17-5-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2012 by BobAthome because: spelling hoser,,ure a hoser,,no i'm not,, ,,,,,,,,,,hoser.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by FlySolo

You sit there and complain whenever someone is out there trying to make a difference.

What do you plan to do behind your computer, 'ol mighty one?

It's not making a difference. What difference? Free education? Don't you find it ironic that everyone has the right to an education but then deny those who are going to class? Why wear the masks? To remain anonymous when they start destroying stuff? Like little brats.

I don't have a problem with demonstrating to make their voice heard but these groups are just wrecking it for everyone else. So tell me, what difference? It's only little hike over a few years. But if they don't get their way they act like banshees. Is that conducive to the real adult world? Listen to these guys as the girl set them straight. "La lala waa waa waa" Real mature.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Originally posted by Vardoger

Can't afford to grow up? You're kidding right? You don't need to afford RESPECT. Last time I looked, students don't belong to a union and going to school does not make you a SCAB. And don't confuse balls with idiocy.

1. I can safely assume you don't even live in Montreal. Stay out of their business.
2. Stop with the anger. You are a bitter fool, that is just pissed because they are doing something you should have done long ago.
3. The ones who complain about those that voice their rights to free speech and the necessity have a place in society that is free from oppression are nothing less than armchair cowards.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
starting at $1,968 per year.

Poor babies..

Tuition at the University of Washington (Seattle), a state school, per QUARTER, $3,525.
Tuition at Olympic Community College (2 year), a state school, per QUARTER, $1,180

Tuition at a mid-tier private college, for example, Carthage College, is $33,000 per year. (This college is nothing special--just private.) Tuition at Harvard or Yale is about $40,000 per year.

Tuition pays for way less than the actual cost. Tuition at medical schools, for example, pays for about 10% of the actual cost. At some public universities the tuition approached half the actual cost.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

No I don't live in Montreal but I have been there. And I was almost attacked from road rage because I let someone go in front of me. Spit on my window and came to my driver's side yelling in French. A real class act.

And as for your "Free Speech" argument. I guess that only pertains to you because I have to stay out of your business and shut my mouth? lol Ironic isn't it? Go back to school.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2
reply to post by FlySolo

Not just my tuition, but my freedom is at stake. I don't care who we bother.
Anyway we've got something big planned before the end of the month.

Stay out of our way, as they say if you're not with us, you're gainst us.
Nuff said...

So it's about freedom then? So go join the occupy movement and keep it out of the education system.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Grow up.

Just before 9 a.m., the group moved into the metro. A half-hour later, they emerged from the Honoré-Beaugrand metro station in the city's east end and marched toward the Port of Montreal, blocking its entrance for about 30 minutes before moving on. Port officials said operations were not significantly affected.

Source

Making noise with drums and whistles, they moved through the main UQAM building, splitting up on a number of occasions as they searched for ongoing classes. A masked protester would yell out marching orders for the next target, such as: "Pavilion M!" A few men even grabbed two female students by the arm, telling them to get out. Some of the intruders jumped on desks and tables.

The teacher and students shouted at them to leave. But during the 10-minute standoff, most of the students eventually gave up and left the classroom, as did the teacher.

Source

Especially when you start preventing other's from getting their education that THEY paid for. How dare you prevent others from going to school. Even after a court ordered the school to stay open. Disgusting.

Consider this: A court order had forced the school to reopen; as a result, some teachers and parents helped striking students form a picket line to keep other kids out; riot police then burst through to help enforce the court order; and, in the end, the school closed again because teachers weren't prepared to teach. Read more: www.ctv.ca...

Source

And by the way, Quebec is the most affordable province in Canada to get higher education anyway, get a grip! What makes you so special ?

The average cost of undergraduate tuition for Canadians studying at Canadian universities was $4,917 in 2009/2010; however, university funding is a provincial responsibility, so tuition rates vary greatly from province to province. With tuition starting at $1,968 per year, Quebec is by far the cheapest province in which to study. Unfortunately, only residents of Quebec pay these low fees. Canadians from other provinces pay about $5,500 per year. McGill University and Concordia University, both in Montreal, are the main English-speaking universities in Quebec. Read more: The Cheapest Universities & Colleges in Canada | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

Source

I'm all for peaceful demonstration but seriously? This has been going on for months! Disrupting classes, official business and roads for those trying to make a living paying off their OWN educational debt.
When this all settles and you get back to school, don't be surprised to find a big 'F' on your papers for pissing everyone off.

And to think you young adults are going to get jobs after all this? Good luck because I would never hire you.

With your attitude only a total tool would want to work for you. These students are doing the right thing by causing disruptions and bringing attention to their cause.

So they made some people mad so they should fail out of school. Too bad you have the "I'm willing to be a sheep so use me at will attitude"

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

No I'm not a sheep. In fact, I have had my eyes opened years ago. You're missing the point. Quebec is cheap as borscht for edumactation. Why do you feel it is necessary to disrupt classes for others? What do you want? What exactly do you want to achieve? You had a collective agreement to freeze tuition hikes and everything was fine just a week ago. And now you're back at it? You got the government's attention and got what you demanded. But still not good enough for you eh?

The sad reality is you guys and gals are too young to notice how spoiled and immature you're behaving. The sad reality is you young people are letting your emotions and hormones decide what is best for your future and not your heads. How come no one else is rioting for cheap education? Just Quebec. So everyone else (majority) are just lame complacent kids but Quebec for some reason is above everyone else?

Now if you had a nation wide protest that would be something different because that would mean everyone agrees with you. But they don't. They pay more than you and suck it up.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

No, you're missing the point, education should be free for all quebec citizens, you know we pay two taxes right? Why can't they get the money elsewhere, I have to pay for my food, clothes ( I only wear brands, don't want to look corny, eh? ) and I gotta pay for my Iphone which costs alot per month since I go alot on youtube during classes.

And who are you to say we are spoiled? I don't even have enough money left to buy diablo 3 and all my friends have it, and now I look like a broke douche!!!

Thanks alot for your support!! Better not cross me during a protest, with my mask you'll never see me coming... Just warning ya!!!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2
reply to post by FlySolo

No, you're missing the point, education should be free for all quebec citizens, you know we pay two taxes right? Why can't they get the money elsewhere, I have to pay for my food, clothes ( I only wear brands, don't want to look corny, eh? ) and I gotta pay for my Iphone which costs alot per month since I go alot on youtube during classes.

And who are you to say we are spoiled? I don't even have enough money left to buy diablo 3 and all my friends have it, and now I look like a broke douche!!!

Thanks alot for your support!! Better not cross me during a protest, with my mask you'll never see me coming... Just warning ya!!!

Alot is two words btw I noticed you misspelled it wrong a lot.

Federal taxes are collected by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), formerly known as "Revenue Canada" or the "Canada Customs and Revenue Agency". Under "Tax Collection Agreements", CRA collects and remits to the provinces: Provincial personal income taxes on behalf of all provinces except Quebec, so that individuals outside of Quebec file only one set of tax forms each year for their federal and provincial income taxes. Corporate taxes on behalf of all provinces except Quebec and Alberta. The Ministère du revenu du Québec collects the GST in Quebec on behalf of the federal government, and remits it to Ottawa. The provincial governments of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Ontario no longer impose a separate provincial sales tax and in those provinces the federal government collects goods and services tax at a rate higher than in the other provinces. The additional revenue from this Harmonized Sales Tax is paid by the federal government to the five harmonizing provinces.

You have two forms, everyone else has one. Nice argument but your wrong. Whilst everyone else still pays higher anyway. And your sarcasm. It's obvious you're only in it for the thrill and have no real basis for what you believe in. Otherwise, you wouldn't be using your stellar witty banter as an argument. How about coming back with a real reason as to what you want to achieve? hmm? I'll give you a moment to ask your friends...

And further. Now you're threatening violence against me for having an opinion? See folks? This is what I'm talking about.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Hahaha you caught the troll!
No, actually I'm not a student, I'm actually pretty sick and tired of hearing these whiny kids, doing really stupid things on behalf of our youth in montreal. I hope we're not portrayed as such.

And sorry for the stupid posts, was acting like a spoiled student.
Peace and have a nice one

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Let me play devils advocate here for a moment. Ok, The issuse with the protests in Quebec is not about the tuition fee per say. It's about getting higher fees because the government says they need the money when there are many many....MANY more places were they can cut expenses. We should help them keep the low tuition fee. Why? Because all over Canada we are getting screwed over. I firmly believe that education, health care, farming and infrastucture should be No'1 on everybodies list. Lets fight together to keep all those escencial services cheap. Why gang up on them when they are the only ones standing up for themselves. It's our right to cheap education with all the taxes we pay. But instead of regulating bonus', unnecessarily high wages and a rediculous retirement program at the level of gornement, they increase every thing else. Where is that sensible I ask you?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The Quebec students demonstrating get very little sympathy from outside of Quebec. Not even from other universities.

Here is some 2012-2013 tuitions for comparison for a BSc or BA degree.

In BC
UBC $4700 for Canadian citizens plus approx $1000 in add. fees
SFU $4914 for Canadian citizens plus approx $500 in add. fees
U Vic $4959 for Canadian citizens plus approx $650 in add. fees

In Quebec
McGill $2492/$6183 for Canadians who are Quebec residents/from outside Quebec, plus approx $1600 in fees
Concordia $1246/$3092 for Canadians who are Quebec residents/from outside Quebec, plus approx $650 in fees

You must meet one of fourteen criteria to get the cheaper tuition in Quebec. I just found out that I qualify for the cheaper rate for being born in Quebec, even though we left when I was 6 weeks old and that was over 51 years ago.
edit on 17/5/12 by erwalker because: Took too long composing my reply after reading others' posts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join