It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont. becomes 1st state to ban hydraulic fracturing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) -- Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin on Wednesday signed into law the nation's first ban on a hotly debated natural gas drilling technique that involves blasting chemical-laced water deep into the ground.

The Democrat, surrounded at a Statehouse ceremony by environmentalists and Twinfield Union School students who pushed for the ban, said the law may help Vermont set an example for other states. The ban may be largely symbolic, though, because there is believed to be little to no natural gas or oil beneath the surface in Vermont.

The gas drilling technique, called hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, involves the high-pressure injection of water and chemicals into the ground to split rock apart and release natural gas or oil.

It's being used extensively in the rapidly expanding natural gas industry in several states. Critics have blamed the practice for contaminating drinking water wells of some residents living near the drilling operations, but natural gas industry officials dispute those claims.

Shumlin said the increased amounts of natural gas obtainable through hydraulic fracturing were not worth the risk to drinking water supplies.

In the coming generation or two, "drinking water will be more valuable than oil or natural gas," Shumlin said.

"Human beings survived for thousands and thousands of years without oil and without natural gas," he said. "We have never known humanity or life on this plant to survive without clean water."

Shumlin then appeared to contradict himself, saying other states should emulate Vermont's ban on hydraulic fracturing but also should be the "guinea pigs" for testing the process.

Source

One down, even though it has no reserves!

Of course it is not going to happen but read the article anyway as there are some good points that are made.

Next will come the "bet you use gas" brigade in support of Big Oil/Gas. Yes I do and so does every one else, but that does not make it right to poison water supplies. I was using gas long before fracking was applied to the extraction. (By the way I do NOT use natural gas) I would just as easily use wood I guess.

edit on 17/5/2012 by PuterMan because: bad tag

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Awesome find!

Now I may just have to move to Vermont. My bfs family lives there and says its easy and affordable living.

His uncle is trying to get us out there on the slopes..... Maybe we will go and not come back.

Are they the only smart state or what????

ETA: Did you happen to read the comments too? Ugh! I agree with the one who said everyone in favor for fracking needs to move on top of one of the sites.... Hahaha... I second that!
edit on 17-5-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

i like the comment that says "give me ONE study that proves it pollutes ground water" (paraphrasing from the article comments - didn't cut and paste). give me a break! how many times has groundwater been totally screwed by a big corp and they've lied about it? there's even been 2 major movies about the same thing. we have to wait until an entire town gets cancer before we can say "oops..."??

edit on 17-5-2012 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Easy and affordable living?

Don't let me spoil it for you but unless you live outside of Chittenden County, you're going to pay an awful lot. Also, even if it is cheaper in the smaller towns, you still have to commute if you can't find a local job.

And the OP made a point about how Vermont has no reserves. The point of passing this bill is to send a message to those who support hydraulic fracking. That message is that the people of the state of Vermont (well most) are opposed to hydraulic fracking in general. Hopefully this bill will be taken up in other states.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
V for Victory
E for Ethics
R for Reason
M for Mother
O for Oh
N for No
T for Treason

top topics

join