It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Açaí berry.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
You may have heard of it, You may have not but i thought i would make a thread professing my love for these Amazing berry's and the various brilliant health sustaining attributes they have.

I have been using these berry's in powder form for around 2 years now and I've never regretting picking the stuff off the shelf

The fruit, a small, round, black-purple drupe about 1 inch (25 mm) in circumference, similar in appearance but smaller than a grape and with less pulp, is produced in branched panicles of 500 to 900 fruits. The exocarp of the ripe fruits is a deep purple color, or green, depending on the kind of açaí and its maturity. The mesocarp is pulpy and thin, with a consistent thickness of 1 mm or less. It surrounds the voluminous and hard endocarp, which contains a single large seed about 0.25–0.40 inches (7–10 mm) in diameter. The seed makes up about 80% of the fruit (Schauss, 2006c). Two crops of fruit are produced each year. The fruits can be harvested and consumed.
en.wikipedia.org...

The powder itself is reasonably cheap as health food however drinking it dissolved in water is foul, I tend to mix the stuff with lemonade or juice to make it more palatable, Alternatively for a slight price rise you can get the stuff in capsules

I've gotta tell you guys this stuff makes me feel great, I don't know all the benefits the Acai berry has to offer and i very much doubt anyone does however it's been known to prevent cancer and various other health problems (as detailed below) from occurring, The only problem is it makes me feel too good so I've got the balance out that feeling by frequently visiting ye Old Pub.

Details on known health benefits:

Acai contains several substances called anthocyanins and flavonoids. The word anthocyanin comes from two Greek words meaning “plant” and “blue.” Anthocyanins are responsible for the red, purple, and blue hues in many fruits, vegetables, and flowers. Foods that are richest in anthocyanins -- such as blueberries, red grapes, red wine, and acai -- are very strongly colored, ranging from deep purple to black. Anthocyanins and flavonoids are powerful antioxidants that help defend the body against life's stressors. They also play a role in the body's cell protection system. Free radicals are harmful byproducts produced by the body. Eating a diet rich in antioxidants may interfere with aging and the disease process by neutralizing free radicals. By lessening the destructive power of free radicals, antioxidants may help reduce the risk of some diseases, such as heart disease and cancer.
www.webmd.com...

Or..

The Acai fruit is believed to have many health benefits, and is therefore gaining prominence very quickly. Although many people are still learning about the health benefits of the Acai berry, the fact is, Central and South Americans have long known about these benefits. The Acai berry fruit is commonly found in central and south American countries such as Peru and Brazil. They come from the Acai palm, which grows in swarm lands. Perhaps that's why they have been largely ignored by urban dwellers until now. The berry itself is a small little fruit, the size of an ordinary grape. It is dark purple in color, and has a large seed. In fact, the seed is so large that it makes up 80% of the berry! But like all berries, the Acai berry is pulpy and juicy. The Acai palm bears fruit twice and year, and the fruit is harvested by people as food. When consumed, the berry leaves a slight hint of bitter after taste, which resembles that of chocolate. It can be prepared in many different ways before consumption. Mostly, the Acai berry is prepared as drinks such as fruit sodas, fruit juices, smoothies, and so on. Therefore, it is very convenient for consumption. When consumed on a regular basis, the Acai berry offers many health benefits. The Acai fruit is good for the body mainly because of its antioxidant properties. It is able to rid the body of harmful toxins in a relatively short period of time. The antioxidant process starts in about 2 hours after consumption of the Acai berry. As a result, shortly after consumption of Acai berries, an individual may start to feel a boost in energy levels. Lethargy will be removed, leaving more energy for other daily activities. It improves mental clarity and promotes sound sleep. It even helps with digestive functions. But perhaps the greatest benefit that has been given the most attention is that the Acai berry helps in the weight loss process. As you probably understand by now, the Acai berry helps improve the general health of the entire body by removing harmful toxins. Blood circulation is improved when the toxins are removed. www.disabled-world.com...

I personally believe the Acai berry to be a essential part of a healthy diet due to it's many many attributes, take it from me the stuff works

I've lost 3 Stone in weight since last year due to the Get up and go attitude this stuff has given me (Possibly the stuff has weight loss properties too) Just try it, I'm sure you wont be disappointed (Unless of course you have a terrible allergic reaction and your legs puff up along with you face and you die, In that case Ted takes no responsibility for this
)

Ted out.
(And Shortly off to the Pub)
edit on 17/5/12 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
thank you for the post!

i've never heard of this berry. i'm gonna have to do some research!

the earth does provide everything we need, and i hate that we have all this 'fake' food out there.
i try my hardest to eat 'real' food,but the system has made it so hard,and so expensive to obtain it!

more people should grow there own food if possible.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Reminds me of our native Sloe Berry which is high in antioxidants.
I gathered some from the wild last year and pulped them for preserves.
I agree with previous poster - we should grow real food and learn to appreciate what nature provides - it is the way to good health.
Since growing my own organic fruits and vegetables I have eaten far more healthy and feel the benefits.
edit on 17-5-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I completely agree, Admittedly this stuff is fairly expensive but it lasts a while and in my opinion it's completely worth it for the health benefits it brings' It also comes in an extremely tasty juice form

There are many other berry's of this Caliber as well such as The Goji berry which is not unlike the Acai but seems to have more of citrus taste, The Earth really does have everything we need

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

The Acai fruit is good for the body mainly because of its antioxidant properties. It is able to rid the body of harmful toxins in a relatively short period of time. The antioxidant process starts in about 2 hours after consumption of the Acai berry. As a result, shortly after consumption of Acai berries, an individual may start to feel a boost in energy levels. Lethargy will be removed, leaving more energy for other daily activities. It improves mental clarity and promotes sound sleep. It even helps with digestive functions. But perhaps the greatest benefit that has been given the most attention is that the Acai berry helps in the weight loss process

Sold me on it.

Thanks for the information.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Gotta admit the stuff really works like it says

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

also good for your insomnia
it aids in a good nights sleep

new topics