It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Berlin Wall Around The USA - Thanks Democrats!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

But I see that you appear to be completely blinded by partisan hatred.

I am a liberal, a progressive and someone who has worked to get everything that he has. I've been through unemployment, I've taken abuse from insensitive employers because of my disability and I am not going to sit here and watch some veteran DEGRADE everything that I've worked for because of my political affiliation!

Do you get it, sir?

A good work ethic is NON-Partisan!

you know sword, i wonder if these people that are protesting so loudly against this, are actually american...they sound like they are citizens of a foreign country trying to destablize america.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

You should know by now that I am not a Democrat. I am a constitutional conservative.

That being said, I do not have a problem with immigrants, illegal aliens or anyone else sending their money to another country. Why? Because that is freedom! People have the right to do as they wish with their own money.

This bill, and your idea of an "export tax", is nothing more than a continuation of the Obamacare-style of mentality that forces people to pay fees and fines for not doing what the government tells them to do.

Is that the precedent we are trying to set here? Should we tax people for using their money how they wish?

Once again, you have shown that you are no better than those you point fingers at. They want to tax the money when it leaves....by your own statement so would you.

Which side are you on again?

reply to post by Mkoll

I know it's not a physical wall. I think you may have missed the point.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

So, if someone wants to renounce their US citizenship, you think they should still be free to live in the United States?

Perhaps not live there, but to be banned from ever coming back (to visit family and friends) and to have 30% of your wealth taken on the way out? That is a barrier to keep the (justified) brain drain from occurring and nothing but.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You're going to have to prove that because otherwise, it's a tad bit xenophobic.

It's just ha-ha-larious when someone comes in here with "liberals this" and "liberals that" and their ignorance shows enough to the point where someone has to call them out.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Lets try and control ourselves a bit shall we. The Berlin Wall really? Talk about spitting on the graves of the people who died trying to cross that thing. To compare the two is either sign of complete ignorance of both or an attempt to mislead, very easly mislead ATS readers.

The bill has nothing to do with people who leave the country to live elsewhere, or who want to hold dual citizenship, or work in other countries, or go to school in other countires etc. This bill is for a very tiny group (1700) last year that renounced US citizenship to avoid paying taxes and yet want continue to live and work in the US. The law will never go anywhere because not enough people do it that it matters and it is simply a symbolic slap in the face to facebook guy who did it to get out of paying his taxes.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll

So, if someone wants to renounce their US citizenship, you think they should still be free to live in the United States?

Perhaps not live there, but to be banned from ever coming back (to visit family and friends) and to have 30% of your wealth taken on the way out? That is a barrier to keep the (justified) brain drain from occurring and nothing but.

So, again, you think a person would be able to RENOUNCE their CITIZENSHIP but still get to visit the country they left? That's absurd. This is to prevent people from renouncing their citizenship while still enjoying the fruits of citizenship. Supporting millionaires taking advantage of the USA without contributing to it is pretty unpatriotic.

And what's wrong with paying taxes? Are you against taxes in general, or just against the rh paying their taxes? I pay about 25% myself. I dont see why a millionaire shouldnt as well.
edit on 17-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Funny thing is, my wife is British, and didn't have to pay an "Ex-Pat Tax" from ENGLAND.

You lie. If your wife renounced her citizenship, she would ABSOLUTELY have to pay a fee.

www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Wow, that took a whole 5 days!

Sipping on the morning coffee I just caught a live sat feed of Schumer (D) introducing it.

With the whole argument floating around that businesses are getting taxed to death and bailing the country, I always thought, "You can't force people to do business here".

Apparently the Democrats think you can.

While I agree it's a cruddy move (to Indonesia where there's no capital gains tax) by the Facebook co-founder to avoid paying millions, overbearing legislation like this won't do anything to welcome business here. In fact, it's only going to scare more away.

What next?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore
legislation like this won't do anything to welcome business here. In fact, it's only going to scare more away.

It wont? How so? Are you saying their are businesses who really want to move to the US, get rich, and then leave without paying any taxes, and that the US should cater to them?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Excuse me, if you are offended. Of course a good work ethic isn't partisan. Not my intention whatsoever to have it come across that way. HOWEVER, let's have a look at the people in Detroit (for example). You know who I'm talking about. Just watch and episode of "Hardcore Pawn" if you need to be specific. I'm talking about the ones that come in with a piece of junk, demanding $400 for it, when it's worth about $5. These people are the freeloading scumbags who are the benefactors of this tax money, and they shouldn't be a benefactor of ANYTHING! They're lazy. Here's an example of the trash I'm talking about. Now, I'd be willing to bet my farm on which party this guy votes for.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

She didn't pay a dime to the British government and got her U.S. citizenship in August 2011. Thanks for the link though, I'll make sure she knows that the Labour Party may come knockin' to pay for that "free healthcare".

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Sure, why not, as long as they apply for a green card through the proper immigration channels. This guy isn't planning on living in the U.S. Yeah, he may want to come here to VISIT, but not necessarily live here. Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to freely live where they want to?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to freely live where they want to?

False dichotomy. He is 'free' to renounce his citizenship. He is not 'free to live where he wants'. He is moving to a foreign country, which will require him to follow various protocol as well.

My contention is not that I support the Bill. It's that the argument against it, as addressed by yourself and the OP is disingenuous in that it distorts the facts. Calling it a 'berlin wall' is hyperbolic nonsense.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

reply to post by stanguilles7

She didn't pay a dime to the British government and got her U.S. citizenship in August 2011. Thanks for the link though, I'll make sure she knows that the Labour Party may come knockin' to pay for that "free healthcare".
Again, you lie. If your wife renounced her UK citizenship, she would have to file paperwork and pay a fine. What likely ACTUALLY happened is she didnt renounce her UK citizenship, but just gained dual US citizenship.

Furthermore, the fines in place have nothing t do with just one party. Rules regarding protocol for renouncing citizenship have existed in the UK for a long time. Your partisanship is obvious. So are your lies.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

False dichotomy. He is 'free' to renounce his citizenship. He is not 'free to live where he wants'. He is moving to a foreign country, which will require him to follow various protocol as well.

Exactly! He's moving to a foreign country. He's doing so with the full intent of following their laws, which don't happen to rob people of their wealth. There's a reason why Singapore has more millionaires per capita than any country on the planet.

My contention is not that I support the Bill. It's that the argument against it, as addressed by yourself and the OP is disingenuous in that it distorts the facts. Calling it a 'berlin wall' is hyperbolic nonsense.

So, this law is designed to keep people in....or be punished severely. That sounds pretty similar to me.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

There's a reason why Singapore has more millionaires per capita than any country on the planet.

Yes. Largely because they are essentially an American protectorate who enjoys the protection of the US/Government/Military, without actually contributing much for that protection. They are a US Puppet state.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Again, you lie. If your wife renounced her UK citizenship, she would have to file paperwork and pay a fine. What likely ACTUALLY happened is she didnt renounce her UK citizenship, but just gained dual US citizenship.

She didn't fill out any paperwork. So, that being said, she hasn't "renounced" anything. I'll make sure she never does now though, simply to avoid the unjust taxes. Thanks for pointing out my error.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

What part of "scripted TV show" do you not understand?

This show isn't representative of any demographic.

Why are you even here if all you're going to do is make gross generalizations of people you don't even know?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Wow..... and people thought he was crazy for saying this

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

reply to post by The Sword

Yes, far left. It's a country that rewards failure and sloth, and punishes hard work and success.

That sums up this thread rather succinctly and most accurate rather sad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join