It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocks Found At Trestles Beach Ignite In Woman's Pocket

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

Hello wutz4tom..interesting story...

Just taking a S.W.A.G. here...(Scientific Wild A$$ Guess)..he he..

Since the beach is right next to the Marine base, and since...the beach is a damp or wet place....

I am THINKING PHOSPHOROUS is the culprit..???

It was wet or damp when it was found, but dried out, and once oxygen gets to it, it will ignite.

It is one of the reasons it has been banned in a lot of places for warfare.. to get it to stop burning, (while it is imbedded in your flesh), you must put it UNDERWATER... to stop the combustion..

Nasty stuff...never heard of ANY rock getting hot.. except those next to a campfire..lol..

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Can we get the "'s Pocket" added to the subject of this thread. The way it's cropped right now is incredibly unfortunate.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
And Jesus took him and withdrew and told him three things. When Thomas returned to his companions, they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?".

Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the things which he told me, you will pick up stones and throw them at me; a fire will come out of the stones and burn you up."

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Star Trek......Anyone remember the episode where Spock throws a rock and it explodes?
There is so much odd and crazy goings on now days I just do not know what to say.
2012 or no 2012 all of this is building up to something big and we are not going to like. It is just a mater time.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
they need to fix the title of this thread!!! when I read it, I was wondering why she was eating rocks and why she combusted.. But they were in her pocket, still a very interesting story.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuggingWicked
reply to post by wutz4tom

Hi, i've heard of spontaneous combustion happening where cardboard was stacked up and had got damp which then created a rotting effect, much the same as compost gets hot when it's rotting down.
but for stones, pebbles im not sure.
Maybe they where flint and she had knocked them together to cause a spark, possibly?
edit on 17-5-2012 by BuggingWicked because: spelling sorry

See now that is the first thing I thought it would be flint rocks.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100
they need to fix the title of this thread!!! when I read it, I was wondering why she was eating rocks and why she combusted.. But they were in her pocket, still a very interesting story.

It should read "In Woman's Pocket". I think sometimes the thread titles get cut short for some reason. Is there a title length limit in some forums? I know I have seen a lot longer thread titles.
edit on 5/17/2012 by fixer1967 because: edit

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
They haven't tested the rocks to know what they are?

Coins in pocket getting hot?
Ever read about the Peshtigo fire? There were coins that had melted and fused together that were found in people's pockets. That as well as the many fires that started spontaineously had something to do with elements in the atmosphere.
www.jstac.org...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Just outside Camp Pendleton tells me that it was likely white phosphors from a old white phosphorus grenade. the area was used for training during WW2 and likely a old white phosphorus grenade was lost and all the metal of the grenade long ago rusted away leaving the white phosphorus.
en.wikipedia.org...
60 years ago there was little in the area of Camp Pendleton and there was not even a freeway just a two lane highway. and the coast for miles was used by the marines and navy for training

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
are you sure you're not thinking of potassium, and the teacher had it stored in a jar of oil? phosphorus will faintly glow when exposed to air, but i don't believe it can ignite. potassium on the other hand...breaks down water into hydrogen and oxygen while releasing heat, which then ignites the released gasses.

So does sodium... and it is an orange metal. Sodium will burst into flame when it gets damp but its not a hot flame. Back in chem class we soaked some tissues in a sodium compound... makes an interesting reaction when someone blows there nose in it

Sodium isn't orange in its pure form, sodium is metallic silver (white sometimes due to tarnishing).

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Liar liar pants on fire.

(sorry,someone had to say it)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I read about this phenomena in New Scientist a few years ago.

In short. The rocks are in fact iron/steel (maybe a dirty alloy considering the presence of green oxide) and have been submerged in water for many years. The oxidisation of the metal happens at pressure and when removed from the water and allowed to dry, can spontaneously combust or even explode.

I'm trying to find a link online as New Scientist lock all of their articles.

The article was written after a cannonball was removed from a wreck site and kept as a memento by a scientist. The cannonball ignited some time after, when it was on his desk.

www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com...

digitaljournal.com...

edit on 18/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom

Rocks Found At Trestles Beach Ignite In Woman's Pocket

www.10news.com

SAN ONOFRE, Calif. -- How rocks collected from a southern Orange County beach caught fire in the pocket of a San Clemente woman's cargo shorts, landing her in a hospital with third-degree burns, remained a mystery Thursday.

The 43-year old woman's children picked up the seven orange and green rocks on Saturday at San Onofre State Beach, which is popular with surfers and known locally as Trestles.

The rocks combusted and set the woman's shorts on fire and continued to burn the wood floor of her Avenida Estrella house, according Capt. Marc Stone of the Orange County Fire Authority.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline

edit on 18/5/12 by argentus because: added "Pocket" to headline to reflect that of source

Thank you to the mod who fixed the headline for me.
I did copy and paste the full titile,but it didn't all show up?
..Much appreciated

edit on 18-5-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Thank you friend..you Are Correct. For some reason it was cut short when I initially copy and pasted?? I was not don't intenetionally..thnx
tom

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I thought moses was referring to a red head when he mentioned that!!!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Scientists investigating the mysterious explosion say there were seven rocks in total that the Hiner children took from the beach. Field tests found traces of phosphorus -- the flammable orange chemical used in matches -- on the rocks.

"It'll burn right through flesh, bone and skin. I've never heard of anything like this before," Dr. Michio Kaku, author of "Physics of the Future," an examination of science in the coming century, said.

The beach where the rocks were collected is near Camp Pendleton Marine base. But Marine officials say there's no evidence any military materials were involved.

San Diego State University geologist Pat Abbott says this was not Mother Nature's fault.

"I know the orange is not part of the rock," Abbott said. "It's not natural. It's human made."

It appears that the severe nature of her burns, and the quickness with which it went through her skin, is not explainable by this just being phosphorus.

Also, I'm pretty sure scientists would know the difference between flare pieces and rocks (for whomever said that in an earlier post....)

Fascinating....
edit on 18-5-2012 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just saw this on the news tonight, and they're also saying that it was most likely phosphorus.

Pretty crazy story whatever it was.

Can you imagine picking up a rock, putting it in your pocket, and then out of nowhere you're on fire?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

Yeah, I would have to agree,and Why Now has this happened? People aren't just recently starting to collect rocks?

Thnx
edit on 18-5-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Nah. Moses was a very well traveled man, but I don't think he ever did make it to Ireland or Scotland

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Any one heard any updates on this. I have not been able to find any.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join