It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Servicemen steal and sell nearly $2 million in guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Servicemen steal and sell nearly $2 million in guns

rt.com

Investigators have tracked down around $1.8 million in missing US military weaponry, and no, the loot wasn’t just left behind in barracks and bunkers. Instead it went directly to street gangs.
The results of a nearly two-year-old probe established to investigate missing military gear reveals that nearly $2 million worth of assault rifles, night-vision goggles and other guns and gadgets were pilfered by servicemen from within the Armed Forces and then sold illegally both through local outlets...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
usnews.msnbc.msn.com
www.worldwatch.org

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I really hope it was ONLY the profit incentive that drove these US military members to sell weapons to domestic and foreign gangs and individuals, but I'm not sure if a motive was given yet.

I'm sure that there are less moles here than there are illegal arms dealers, since they were paid for the weapons instead of just handing them off to a foreign group.

I'd like to hear from both civilians and those who are/were involved in the armed forces and get their take on this.

This actually happened a few years ago, but it's good to hear this actually made it out.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
In any population the size of the US Military you will have criminal activities and criminals. The percentage is lower in the Military than the general population, but still this is no different than creeps who steal from their workplace anywhere else. In this case though they are selling something very dangerous, so the punishment should fit the crime. A Life Sentence would not be unreasonable for this.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Oh please!
This is from the electronic propaganda arm of Vladimir Putin.
Russia Today is as reliable as Sucha Faail.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Oh please!
This is from the electronic propaganda arm of Vladimir Putin.
Russia Today is as reliable as Sucha Faail.

Oh please!

If it was from the electronic propaganda arm of Obama Bin Laden you would be ok? CNN..?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This isn't hard to believe at all. There are a lot of gang members in the military. In fact some gang members join the military specifically for the training to take back to the streets and teach their buddies, as opposed to straightening out their lives.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
RT is subsidiary of RIA Novosti, obvious there's going to be bias.

Easily proven -

RT - No gays allowed: Saudi Arabia bans homosexuals from schools

Published: 16 April, 2012, 23:20
Edited: 17 April, 2012, 17:29
rt.com/news/saudi-arabia-gays-ban-213/

Moscow Times - Moscow to Consider Anti-Gay Law
20 April 2012
www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/moscow-to-consider-anti-gay-law/457123.html

Nothing on Russian anti-gay attacks at RT.

But on geopolitics, they release articles needed to counter US propaganda.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Allow me to add more sources so ole complaineypants can actually click a link.

www.nydailynews.com...

Dozens of U.S. Marines and sailors swiped nearly $2 million worth of government goods, according to reports, allegedly selling them to street gangs, foreigners and other big bidders.

The stash has included assault rifles, night-vision goggles and $800 flashlights, investigators found as part of a two-year probe.

www.stripes.com...

A wide-reaching investigation by military and civilian authorities has uncovered a criminal conspiracy within the Armed Forces to steal and sell nearly $2 million in guns and combat gear to gangs in the U.S. and foreign countries including China, military officials have confirmed.

The probe began more than a year and a half ago when agents with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service began to conduct undercover operations to disrupt and reduce the theft, transfer, sale and possession of stolen U.S. Government property. With the aid of Marine and Naval authorities, NCIS has recovered $1.8 million in stolen guns and combat gear to include assault rifles, night-vision goggles, flashlights and other items, military officials said.

charlotte.cbslocal.com...

NCIS agents also found property stolen from the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Army and other federal agencies, Fahy said. That information was forwarded to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the FBI and North Carolina’s State Bureau of Investigation, among numerous other federal and local agencies.

edit on 5/17/2012 by Anonymous404 because: fixed tags

EDIT:

Originally posted by xecoybh

rt.com...

Since we're going off topic now, I found one for you. Next time do a search on their site.
edit on 5/17/2012 by Anonymous404 because: Sorry, should've written that

edit on 5/17/2012 by Anonymous404 because: fixing my edit

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404

[snip]

EDIT:

Originally posted by xecoybh

rt.com...

Since we're going off topic now, I found one for you. Next time do a search on their site.
edit on 5/17/2012 by Anonymous404 because: Sorry, should've written that

edit on 5/17/2012 by Anonymous404 because: fixing my edit

I last read RT 21 april almost after MT news was pub., so I wasn't aware of that news from 27.

But what I saw happen was a reader post the entire Moscow Times news as comment to above Saudi news, hours later the comment was no longer, admins deleted it.

I opened on a morning and left tab open until evening, after a refresh it was no longer there.

They didn't take kindly being exposed for double standards...

So thank you for that update.
edit on 17-5-2012 by xecoybh because: matched edit

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

the article headline is highly misleading - i would say even dishonest

they cannot claim " 2million in guns , stolen " - then agregate optics [ NVGs run to > $3k each ] and flashlights worth $800 ea.

rather than a sensationalist dollar value - that is padded out with other theft - i would like to see the actual number of firearms stolen / per anum

that would be a far more accurate depiction of the scale of firearms theft

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I understand. It would've been better for RT to name it "nearly 2 million worth of equipment stolen, including weapons."

But they basically took the headline from every other news source that wrote this up.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

and reuters ,Fox and cnn have even lesser crediblity.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well, just where are these all being sold at? I can pretend to be a street gang for a day! Oh.. Err.. nvm.

I'd never have a use for a quality rifle. lol

* on a serious note, I've been reading about these in normal media now and then for years.... I'm no fan of RT or anything Russia but Vodka. They got the story right on this one though...
edit on 17-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

According to some of the other posts, they were sold through outlets and on the Internet.

If I had to guess the arms were sold locally at gun shows, swap meets, or flea markets. It was in the south, and there's little to no hold or security check on anything but pistols. I'm from Alabama and have dealt with this personally.

On the Internet, probably the Deep Web or somewhere difficult to track, unless they were complete numbskulls, which I like to think that, although these guys were dumb enough to be criminals, our servicemen aren't dumb.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

Yeah, okay.. Online says it all. Sorry I asked.

In a serious way, this isn't the kind of thing that should give anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling in the hands of teenagers in street gangs. eeek!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

According to a few of the sources I've posted, some of the items wound up in China.

top topics

join