It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugout bag / 7-day / 90 day supply list

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am in the process of setting up a supply cache for emergencies for myself and family.

I am making a bugout bag for everyone in the household.

Setting up a 7-day supply ration for short duration emergencies, such as a long-term power failure or such.

Additionally, I will be setting up for long-duration emergency supplies, no more than 90 days.

My needs will not be for nuclear war, or the invasion of china, or heavan forbid, Mitt Romney being elected.

Although I will be planning for basic bio-hazard as that isnt that much of a stretch.

In my searching the web, I find that aside from food and water, there is much a wide opinion, that it has become difficult to rationalize what is reasonable. Mountain Home supplies which I have already made considerations for, what other useful items are necessary for my purposes.

I hope for some good info or opinions/links, that I can modify my gameplan with.

Thanks.
edit on 16-5-2012 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smirkley

Smart Idea! I think its time to get ready for something coming. Best Wishes!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Yes it is.

I have ample space for storage in my home.

But it wasnt 10 years ago back east, we had a ice storm that cut power for 5 days to most of the state.

I lived in my truck, had no heat except from my truck, all the food in the fridge went bad, and all the shelters were full.

I was stuck.

That is a real-life example I have personally experienced, and now that I have family, and the means to make a reasonable accomidations for such things, it is time for me to setup and at least be ready for what has and can happen again.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I assume you have exhausted your research on Google not to mention the ample information already posted on ATS by using the ATS search engine...

Not trying to be a snot but, they are hundreds of great videos on you tube, and many many pages of websites that can answer your questions. Not to mention the already hundreds of post on this subject matter in the survival forums.

The most prized possession of any survivalist is their knowledge gained through practicing their woodcraft skills to hone their ability. Many great videos on you tube to get you started in your woodcraft skills as well.

edit on 16-5-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I hear ya,.. and that was the problem.

Google has provided, and yes I have searched here also.

But the vast supply of information, has become informational overload.

I am just looking to asswmble a reasonable set of supplies for the three scenarios I layed out, and dont need or want to plan for armeggedon or such.

So I am looking for opinions here from those that can provide.

Thanks

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
you should listen to ats live survival show thursdays a 7:00pm,they talk all about stuff like that maybe they can give you ideas.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

When I made BOBs for my family, I got most of the supplies at walmart. You don't have to spend alot of cash at a specialty store.
Small first aid kit
Take a roll of tp and take the tube out of the center. Smash it flat and put it in a sandwich baggie
Hand crank flashlight and radio
Map
Hand sanitizer
etc...

Lots of excellent lists in the survival forum.

It's good to hear you are getting prepared. I live in hurricane country and the power can be out for weeks at a time. It would be stupid not to prepare and yet it's shocking to see how many people don't have more than a day or two worth of supplies. I guess they like lining up at the FEMA pods. Go figure...
Good luck

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
All of the needs can be met at your local Costco.
Case or two of the mountain house samplers, you will not starve.
Generator, you will have light and pending on size, heat or a/c.
Case of water xhow many ever you might need, you will not die of thirst.
Jackets, blankets for cold, shorts and t-shirts if hot.
Nothing to overthink here, git to work.

(Edit)
If living in the US, buy Made in USA please, where possible anyway as not alot is actually made here.
edit on 17-5-2012 by g146541 because: Made in the USA

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

A 7 day supply is a bit much for a bug out bag.

Primarily, the idea of one is to get you home (or at least to a hidden cache, etc.)

I'd hope it wouldn't take you more than that to get home. My bug out bag, on the other hand, is a 4 day one, but that's because my work is almost 50 miles from home. Anybody else in the household, 2 days.

The room for those extra days in food alone, I just can't fathom where it'd go. Unless you're sticking with ration bars...

Bare minimum...(you're looking for small, multi-purpose, and things that keep)

Survival Multi-tool (either Leatherman or Swiss Army knife)

Food (Ration bars are good, but cereal bars are a cheap and available alternative, MREs are nice too, but can take up room. A couple of cans of something is always nice too. I like those little tuna packs that have crackers and tuna. Keep for a while, just have to rotate in new ones, eat before they get too old).

Canteen (I prefer metal as plastic can give stored water a nasty taste, and you can boil water easier)

Hand-crank radio/flashlight combo (you'll need to see where you're going, and want to listen to what's going on, I'd recommend getting one with a cell-phone charger too...while they work).

Water purification tablets (can pick these up at WalMart in camping supplies).

Handgun (not really a bare minimum, but other people may be a threat, so included here. This all depends on if you can afford one, as they can be expensive. I'd go with a 9mm or .22 cal as ammo is small and cheap, and fairly common, so will be easier to find replacement ammo).

A green tarp (small, just enough to make some kind of shelter if you need it, or at least keep the rain off you, and can help hide you)

A Machete (firewood, weapon, etc.)

Waterproof Matches, firestarter, lighters (you need fire to purify water, heat up food, etc.)

Compass (and how to read it)

Map (to help you get where you're trying to go. I usually mark mine with important places along my pre-planned foot route, God forbid I ever have to make my whole work trip on foot... Places I could loot for things, for example or find food.)

Anything else is really just extra. Assuming your goal isn't to survive on what's in your pack, but really more to prepare you while you make the trek home or to your loved ones.

edit on 17-5-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Thank you Gaz, good info.

(and long time no see, but good to see ya)

My bugout bag, including for each family member has but one objective. To get us somewhere safe. Yes this location is already known and ready, and it is within 150 miles. Basics like water, medical basics, Limited food stuffs that store well and provide energy, money and clothing, and some items of protection. One bag per-person in the household.

The 7-day plan is for home. Immediate foodstuffs, medical supplies, water again, communications, etc. This area is for short duration events like extended power failures during cold weather, roads washed out leading to food stores. you know, small type events that may provide hardships, but not necessarily life threatening.

The 90-day plan is for long duration events. This will include food and water to last 90 days for each member of my household. More elaborate medical supplies, energy and communications needs, personal hygene needs, more serious personal protection, biological protection, stuffs in this area.

I am about at the 7-day level, and want to expand to the 90 day level. I dont expect to be able to prepare in-home for anything past that, so if the world goes to crap, i save enough bullets.

Obviously if I need the bugout bags, I am leaving most of the 7-day stash behind, and all of the 90 day stash behind. But if I am staying at home, i want to be good and safe for at least 90 days. Anything after that is pointless as likely, survival will be left to the thieves and ruthless.

Maybe after meeting my full objectives outlines I can consider longer durations in my plan, but honestly, how many of us will need to worry bout that.

thanks Gaz for the info. Good stuff.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If I can't hold out at home, it'd really suck going on the road. I think we're currently at about a month on the supplies, but I'm working towards gradually increasing that. My realistic end goal is 1 year supplied, and for 10 people. Granted, only 3 of us in the house now, but I'm sure if anything happened I'd have a couple friends show up (and their kids).

Good luck to you in your prep plans.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I will not speak on your 7 day BOB, i find everyone has there own opinion about content.

The 90 day-
BUY FOOD YOU AND YOUR FAMILY CURRENTLY ENJOY NOT MRE's, if you eat ham buy cans of ham - DAK at Walmart for $3.86 per can each can is a pound of pre-cooked ham that you can eat out of the can without cooking in a pinch, they are good for over 4 years and as the linked video explains the expiration doesnt mean its bad, it only means the manufacturer will no longer assure quality, but if stored properly can last for far longer.
Canned Chicken 5pk case of pre cooked chicken 13oz $8.90 at Sams Club good for 3 years
Pineapple 6pk case $5.90 Sams Club good for 3 years
Tuna 10pk case $9.50 Sams Club good for 3 years
Box of Salt 3lb box $2.00 Sams good for infinity

I have kids as it looks you do aswell, i chose to get foods we eat everyday just purchase them differently and from a different place, im sure you noticed a theme as to where i buy, you have to get things your children will not fuss over yet supply them with the daily nutrition needed, so things they eat now but aimed at nutrition and storage.
Secondly and almost as important when you have kids, get travel sized board games, card games, dice, light non powered but entertaining bobbles. Books,get ahold of books your children will enjoy, not just those that are needed to have like The Bible, the Constitution, The Decloration of Indepandance, The Gettysburg Address but things like Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in The Hat, Night Before Christmas, and The Ship of Dreams.Learn to act them out a little, read with enthusiasm and feeling make it entertaining, you may have a long time before the lights turn back on.
Last but not least Sterno and a Sterno stove, must have, these are some of the things ive done for my Bug In Plan. Good Luck Mate

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
May I suggest you look into the book Build The Perfect Survival Kit by John McCann?

A very informative book which covers a number of topics and different survival situations and the various types of gear which is necessary for these situations.

Also, in all of the survival classes that I have taken, the best survival experts always have the smallest bags. I was taught that this is because they have tested their bags time and time again and have come to know what they need and what is just extra bulk. In addition to this, the more knowledge you have to do certain things, the less equipment you usually need to get it done. Remember that knowledge is highly important because you're taking a BAG with you. If we could take an RV full of techno-super survival equipment, we'd all be experts.

Pack light.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Just a thought I would add puri-tabs as well an adult can go upto 3 weeks without food and only 3 days without water and I personally wouldn't want to drink stream water without it being sterilised

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Something to add to this.

Recently, I ditched the old backpack housing the BOB, for a new one that has wheels and a pull-out handle.
This way, if I have to hoof it a long way home (remember, I'm an hour away), it's be a bit easier on me if I can pull it some of the time.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
If your only doing 90 days worth of food and supplies, with canned food you can easily do that.
If you get things like just add water mixes to, that helps on buying things. pancake, biscuts, waffles ..those types of mixes are great and last for a long time. I freeze them for a few days then vac pack it all.
Canned food from the store, just check the dates on them. you can do this with almost eveything you use...

The best way to do this, is to track everything you eat, buy for your household for a month...then tripple it...and you have a ballpark of the cost. Buy what you eat...meaning don't buy peaches if you don't like them. Buy what you eat already and like.

do this with food, beverages, medical supplies(asprin, couch med..ect) cleaning supplies, everything you buy for your home to live. Keep in mind that you might be using extra things like gas or charcoal...you will need to cook your food and stay warm. If the electric and or gas is out..do you have a back up plan for heat and cooking? is it safe to do...meaning your not going to burn down the house or have dangerous fumes produced in the house.

You know there are many books on what to do and what to have, but it is your choice, only you know what you need.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I have around 400 water bottles
1 bug out bag (no food in it) here
1 big plastic box 4-5 feet long * 2 feet high
that has a big quantity of different food
and at least 20 cans of soup but they are still in the kitchen
to heavy to pack those up

It would be hard transporting that on foot .. obviously
but if i can go by car.. would take me 5 min to pack all up
i live on the 3 floor in a ciment building consructed 5 yrs ago
so its pretty new and solid
Im in a good spot if there is a flood
could probably last 3 months alone with my reserve
or 2 weeks if i bring neighboor in need in my home
if people needs help when SHTF i would be able to help
have medical and camping supply in my bug out bag
it might sound crazy doing all that
but i dont want to be caught by surprise when everyone will have the same idea to buy food at the same time
because if the SHTF .. the ones that have prepared themself will be able to survive longer
there is no doubt on that

I feel its my duty to warn people to prepare and make reserves
but its not easy lol .. even to my mom when i say that to her she looked me like .. uh ?
at least my half father did made much more reserve then me
wine, cofee cans, water bottle, juices so many kleenex box and toilette paper.. but NO FOOD
told him he should buy cans and pasta and big bag of rice
bought a 9 kg bag last week myself

Come on folks .. time to take things more seriously
how many days again it took fema to bring water to the superdome ?
edit on 6/22/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is all good information.
I am in no way a survivalist....but always wanted to have the barest necessities......if I had to leave the house fast.

Shouldn't things like safe deposit box keys, extra cash, important papers be included????

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
This is all good information.
I am in no way a survivalist....but always wanted to have the barest necessities......if I had to leave the house fast.

Shouldn't things like safe deposit box keys, extra cash, important papers be included????

Yes, they should be.

If any of you have ever experienced an evacuation or know someone who has...CASH is king. Low bills. No one will make change for you. If they are going to sell you a gallon of gas, a bottle of water, you better pay in exact change. Even stores will do this. Try and keep about $200 in ones in your bag, obviously less for kids. My bag and Husband's bag have cash in ones, and a roll of 90% silver dimes each.

As far as papers, I made copies. We have our drivers license and credit cards copied, back and fronts, one paper. Obviously that isn't real ID but what if you just needed the numbers?

Safety deposit keys, I don't have one anymore but a copy of your house key wouldn't hurt.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Go camping for a long weekend and see what all you need, take the family, let the kids play and have fun.
There are a million and one things people will say you need, but you know what you need best, by your skillsets and abilities..or lack of.
Moutain house food is ok, but why not canned food? you need water for mountain house food..with canned, there is juice from the food in it already and can be drank...just saying...there are arguements for and against everything you will need or how to do it...
Your best bet, is to just get out and do a few practice runs camping, that is what most will be able to do, to check there skills and abilities...short of a real SHTF.
Keep in mind the seasons of the year..if you live in an area that has 4 seasons and the different things you need for different seasons.
Make a list of what you needed, used, amounts and what you can do with or without..this will help you figure out what works for you..and don't be a fair weather camper either, plan a trip and do it reguardless of if it is raining or snowing...because you will be facing those possible things on a bug out and a true survival situation.
If you have paperwork that you need to take with you, have a envelope for that, keep it small...cash(amount needed will vary per person..do what you think you need)
Have a plan but also have a back up plan..and even a back up to your back up is a good thing.
Just my .02 cents.
edit on 13-8-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join