It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you survived. What happens next?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Hi there, fellow potential survivors, and please, don't click on the link above for immediate gratification just yet.
So, here you are. The S just HTF bigstyle, but you were ready. 99.9% of the human population just got wiped out by plague/meteor strike/alien harvest/too much nasty CO2 (LOL) whatever. But you were ready, you had stockpiled food, fuel, seeds, and you were one of the lucky 0.1% that didn't die. What happens next? You have shelter and food, and the beans and lettuces you planted are sprouting forth, but then you see another human being approaching. Do you view them as a threat? Or do you see them as a potential ally? They could be either, or both, they may try to kill you to capture your stockpile, or they might join with you and try to rebuild humanity.
Where is the line between personal survival, and the survival of the human species?
Anyways, to the link above. It takes you to the first episode of the 1975 UK TV series 'survivors'. I did a quick ats search, and could only find reference to the recent re-make (2010 I think). I didn't see much of the series as a child when it was first broadcast, we had no TV at home, but I saw a few episodes at friend's houses and it lodged in my mind (the creepy theme music
).
I still don't watch television, (I prefer to programme myself) but I have thoroughly enjoyed this series, and think it raises many interesting points around dealing with the 'long game' after a SHTF event. So, bearing in mind that this is 37 year old TV, I recommend it to anyone who is interested in what may happen after the fan has stopped spinning.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Next?

Next I'll create my own religion, comprised only by female acolytes and devote servants.

Happy ever after.

EDIT: "devote FEMALE servants"
edit on 16-5-2012 by Outofcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outofcontrol
Next?

Next I'll create my own religion, comprised only by female acolytes and devote servants.

Happy ever after.

find mate, mate, and repop the earth..

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Next?

Happy ever after.

You understand me! Thank you

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Next?

Happy ever after.

You understand me! Thank you

ya happy ever after
as long as there is no mother-in-laws
you have to go through...

*geeze becky you couldnt do any damn better*??

*Mom, he is the LAST MAN ON EARTH*

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Outofcontrol

Old dog says "be careful what you wish for" although yes, propagating the species would be a noble enterprise.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

You want to repopulate with ONE male specimen? I think the 2nd and 3rd gen kids would look a bit more like the ones out of the hills have eyes..

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah

You want to repopulate with ONE male specimen? I think the 2nd and 3rd gen kids would look a bit more like the ones out of the hills have eyes..

be long after im dead
and did the deed.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Hahaha very true. At least you'd be the last man to have sex.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
IF you survive...would we WANT TO? You will spend all your time fighting to stay alive against those of us who dont have what you do...and werent prepared.

Im as 1st Responder...and even so...Im not sure I want to live to see an APOCALIPTIC word-Worst Case Scenario. I hope Im dead and gone by then....

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to have to take people out; I really don't think there would be as much of that as the average person imagines when they think about these scenarios.

Once a person's caloric intake drops below 1000 cal per day, they become remarkably docile. At the 800 cal level, they are overcome by lassitude and don't do much to even clean themselves.

If the supply networks that stock the groceries and restaurants collapse, then the average person's caloric intake with be below 1000 within a week.

If you keep yourself fed and healthy, you'll be more than a match for the skinnies.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by freebornman

but then you see another human being approaching. Do you view them as a threat? Or do you see them as a potential ally? They could be either, or both, they may try to kill you to capture your stockpile, or they might join with you and try to rebuild humanity.

First, I grab the binoculars and try to judge the book by its cover. Then, I scan behind the guy, in the woods, and other surroundings, etc., see if I see covert movement.

Then, I look in other directions for the same. All my people (fellow people who came to us to survive) arm up and take their positions.

I view them first as a threat, but with the hope they can be an ally. In any case, he's already seen us, and where we are, and since staying hidden is likely one of the best ways to survive the event, that already is something. I'd hope he could join us and contribute, but there would definitely be a probation period. Trust is earned, not granted. If he decides he'd rather move along, not so sure then. Would have to be a case by case, and mostly from my gut (and the consensus of those with me).

If we did send him on his way, it'd likely be while blindfolded, and then driven far, far away, but to an end destination he'd at least be ok with. I wouldn't want to make him an enemy, but I don't want it to be easy to get back to us either.

IF you survive...would we WANT TO? You will spend all your time fighting to stay alive against those of us who dont have what you do...and werent prepared.

Im as 1st Responder...and even so...Im not sure I want to live to see an APOCALIPTIC word-Worst Case Scenario. I hope Im dead and gone by then....

That's why survival rule number one is to stay hidden. If we survive the event...we then have other people as our biggest threat. So, being unknown is the single biggest survival advantage you can have.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

of course, anyone you "turn loose" is going to be an excellent source of intel for your enemies. In fact, sending one of your party out as a "spy" to join other groups might for a few days be the best way to find out who the new neighbors are. And they might be able to perform a Trojan Horse while they're at it.

Or at least steal some aspirin on the way out of camp.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'd prob try to find a few females and try to repopulate. hopefully they dont have aids or something. then i would write a book/carve into stone how i was god and i created everything

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Interesting topic, just finished watching the 2008 remake of Survivors because of this thread, and just found out there will be no Season 3. Would recommend you guys watching the newer version.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Hopefully I would be with other survivors and armed and would meet this person halfway knowing my back was covered then decide if to accept them or not but if on my own no chance I would consider them a threat

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
A part of me wonders whether you'd be so grateful to see another human that you might not be welcoming, and ready to over look the person's faults for the sake of company.

One person alone is a saint
Two people are lovers
Three's a crowd
Four is a community
Five is enough to have a civil war

new topics

top topics

join