It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid's hairstyle could cause anarchy in school. Threatened with suspension if not fixed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Originally posted by BigBruddah
I said if the next person to get a hair cut in the shape of a person and that person is a controversial figure they may divide the students.

See, I don't believe in the slippery slope. Nipping a child's imagination and expression of himself in the bud is a sad and sinful thing to do, IMO.

I don't really know how to put it but teens will argue and get mad over simple things and you can bet that if one came to school with a zimmerman face in his hair or obscene language people would go nuts.

Oh, yes, I know. People would react and respond. We can't have that, can we? My opinion is that when people get mad over simple things, that's THEIR responsibility. The whole country is moving toward the mindset of "I don't like what you're doing, so I want to make it illegal..." People have become SO uncomfortable with people who are not like them, they are playing the conform or die game.

Don't believe in birth control? Make it hard to get or even illegal.
Don't believe in abortion? Outlaw it!
Don't believe gays should marry? Change the Constitution!

The controlling forces in this country are using the law to MAKE people behave in a certain way and it's all part of the indoctrination of conformity. And I'm against it.

In the case of the kid's hair, shouldn't the people who are "responding" to it be dealt with? What's wrong with everyone noticing and admiring or otherwise commenting on his haircut? And if they take further action, THEY should be punished, NOT the kid with the cool hair...

The school already has to deal with enough crap from the students disrupting activities seeing as any proper punishment is not allowed these days and I think banning this wouldn't be a big deal.

The "disruptors" are the people responding and reacting to the kid's expression of himself. He just got a haircut. Would he be suspended for wearing a t-shirt with his favorite basketball team on it? I know schools have rules, but these days, a girl wears a cute new skirt and all the girls either fawn over it or hate it and SHE gets suspended for causing a controversy... It's insane!

The artistry of that haircut is amazing! I think the school is grossly overreacting!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Someone should take your entire post, put it in pamphlet form, and steadily hand it out to everyone they come across. I am sick of everybody's "Offendedness" (yes I made it up) myself. For some reason nobody can ever be made uncomfortable or upset by ANYTHING. It's disgraceful and I am amazed at the people who think that these ever encroaching rules of denying any form of self expression will never touch them. In this ludicrous PC society ANYTHING is apt to become fair game.

Star for you at any rate. Your post could not have been better even if it were dipped in chocolate IMO.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I agree with what you mean regarding peoples own individuality, but a school can't waste time worrying about students hair and the other petty problems rather than teaching the students. The school I attended generally made everybody conform to a suitable dress code and if you didn't like it you could leave. If you want to have streaks or a mohawk save it for the holidays. The school isn't a beauty pageant it is a place to learn. I don't understand why you are putting words in my mouth saying that excessively flamboyant hair means birth control should be removed.

You cannot say that he deserves to have his hair the way he wants when he chooses to attend that school. If its in the rules that he must have a clean and tidy haircut then he can follow that or leave. It's simple.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

made everybody conform

I think this says what the schools want....CONFORMITY...

They didn't get it from me, and they won't get it from my child.

People, especially children, need to be free to be themselves, not who someone, or some school wants them to be.
edit on 17-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

If you don't like it then leave. No one is forcing him to attend that school. Would you complain to your employer if your hairstyle wasn't deemed suitable for the workplace? Some places have rules that need to be followed, you can't cry foul every time something doesn't go your way.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

reply to post by isyeye

If you don't like it then leave. No one is forcing him to attend that school. Would you complain to your employer if your hairstyle wasn't deemed suitable for the workplace? Some places have rules that need to be followed, you can't cry foul every time something doesn't go your way.

So when a child has to face an issue like this, and that child is in a PUBLIC school, where is the option to just leave?
Homeschooling isn't always an option for many parents. In many cases the child IS forced into what school they must attend.

And yes, I HAVE complained about what hairstyle is deemed appropriate for the workplace. You should have heard some of the conversations I had with my bosses when I was in the military.

Come on people. We live in a diverse world. Some people like long hair, some short, some like a mohawk, some like their hair green. That's their personal decision. If someone doesn't like it, that is THEIR problem.

I think that when I go to play golf with my buddy that the people clothes that work at the place are horrible and tacky, but you know what, that's their decision to look like an idiot, not mine. I don't really care. I laugh and walk away...Let people be who the are, and if you don't like it, that's your problem, not theirs.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

BigBruddah, I'm not trying to say you're wrong or put words in your mouth. We each have our opinions. I'm just giving my opinion and it happens to differ with yours, so I'm using your posts to illustrate. No reason to be offended or upset.

I agree with what you mean regarding peoples own individuality, but a school can't waste time worrying about students hair and the other petty problems rather than teaching the students.

How much time does it take for the teacher to say, "All right, we've seen the cool haircut. Now, let's move on to why we're here... To teach you something."
How much time is wasted? Or better yet, what a great opportunity to teach a lesson about individuality and living with people who are different or have different opinions! The teacher blew their chance in favor of calling the principal to make the kid conform.

The school I attended generally made everybody conform to a suitable dress code and if you didn't like it you could leave.

And you grew up thinking that that's OK. This whole idea of "If you don't conform, you leave" is the problem I tried to address earlier. "If you're not like me, you have to change or go away." It's really kind of a sickness in our society that we cannot accept those who are different in looks, ideals, or behavior. They must be controlled or else leave. See, that's not OK with me.

Of course, I was raised in a time (50s and 60s) when we weren't forced to conform as much as today and society was doing what they could to encourage expression and individual thought.

I don't understand why you are putting words in my mouth saying that excessively flamboyant hair means birth control should be removed.

I didn't say you said that. It's the attitude of "conform or get out" that I'm addressing - only on a larger scale. It's pervasive in our society and shows up in small (classrooms) and large ways (government).

If its in the rules that he must have a clean and tidy haircut then he can follow that or leave. It's simple.

The article doesn't state anything about the rules that I saw. And his mother claims she went to the school and got permission beforehand, but of course, the school denies this.

Source

Gonzalez says she came to the front office to ask permission. School leaders say she mentioned the haircut, but they never gave her the ok. "There was no permission that was given if the parent thought that, then it was a miscommunication," said Aubrey Chancellor, Judson I.S.D.

And my favorite quote from this article:

District officials say the haircut is a distraction. "Whether it's the Spurs or whether it's the Cowboys, anything people obviously support, it doesn't matter."

So, if you support ANYTHING, (puppy adoption?) it's seen as a distraction and disallowed. Man! What a wimpy society we have where we just cannot take it if someone supports something that we don't! I'm ashamed of this society and I'm glad I'm not just now growing up or raising any kids today. I feel sorry for kids who are raised in this "conformity" mindset.
edit on 5/17/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

So what if a kid got a picture of Jesus and Hitler in his hair.....WHO CARES! It's a picture....not even a real one its a hair picture. People need to stop making a big deal out of everything. Everyone needs to drop this "zero tolerance everything is offensive and dangerous" attitude that's consumed this country. It's a highschool with teenagers ohhhhhh so serious

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I also remember a kid in the news who dyed his hair green for St. patties day....same story as OP, different kid different time.
In my day it was the piercings. They were sure it would insight anarchy. They always had people take them out until one day a kid figured out ''Hey, there is nothing in the handbook about this at all'' All they could do after that was nicely ask a couple times. Why they never changed the handbook to suit them I will never know (I'm sure they do nowadays, but they didn't for quite a few years) but long story short what does that school handbook say about dress code on hair dos? If this kind of thing is mentioned the poor kid gets a bad deal and will have to adhere to the guidelines to go back. If it is not mentioned in anyway as against the dress code, then they will just have to change it next year. Can't punish a kid for a rule you just now made up....fairly anyway.

PS. I'm not sure what the guy shaved into the back of this kids hair looks like in real life, so I could be wrong but...looks like a piece of art to me. I couldn't do that good. It's hair anyway...with short details...how long before that grows out and has to be cut off? Anyone I ever knew with a pic shaved in their head has it a week maybe a week and a half.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Ginger
2nd

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

That's right ! Conform and be normal or stay away from us normal folks.

See I totally get where your getting at. If you don't intend on being like most are, then you are deemed unfit and should be exiled from America!!!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Sorry, but I'm going to rant here.

This is ridiculous. To the person that posted the school's or district's actual rules, good find. Could not believe that sideburns have to be cut a certain way, even. Wow. I'm all for creativity and individuality and the public school system scarily lacks both these days. I have a 10-yr-old daughter and I always have to abide by the clothing police.

My daughter is a very innocent girl, thankfully, and super naive, but if she wants to wear a tank top to school, public school, she's made to feel otherwise. I have to make sure that the strap on the shirt is thick enough, otherwise it is an "illegal" shirt. Girls cannot wear tank tops with straps under 1" wide because "it could cause a distraction in the classroom due to the attention of the opposite sex." Bra straps cannot show. Skirts must either be slightly above the knee or have leggings underneath them. Shorts must be the same length, too. Flip-flops or revealing shoes cannot be worn (this may be a safety issue, now that I think about it). No bracelets or dangly jewelry, should some kid accidentally strangle on a bangle or cut themselves on an earring.

Foolishness. Don't get me wrong, I see how some parents let their kids dress and am appalled. However, it's getting out of hand, especially with the sexist rules. Boys may have haircut and pull-the-pants-up rules, maybe graphic tee logos & hat restrictions, but girls basically have the "slut rules." Some pompous bunch have decided what may or may not cause and uproar or look scandalous and anything outside of the rules is basically deemed slutty. These are kids in an elementary school, k-6.

Instead of making my daughter feel self-conscious or slutty for wearing a tank top (not a tube top or anything) and attracting unsolicited attention from the opposite sex in the classroom, how about let's teach boys to treat girls with respect and not to treat girls like objects. If a boy cannot behave because a girl is wearing a modest tank top that covers the entire waist, then the problem is with how that boy is being raised or how society allows boys and men to act and if they can't behave, we must blame it on the girl or woman for luring them or inciting poor behavior.

Insane.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
individuality is frowned upon. you must comply. big brother out.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
These schools are basically corporations now..without the taxes.

The parents who pay tuition, and property taxes to the school district are contractually bound to the school. The parents signed into an agreement with the schools rules and terms. Its a business.

Like it or not, the parents and the kid are breaching the contract.

I own a business and sometimes I let my customers slide, this would be an instance Id let them slide. Its someone the kid probably idolizes, don't punish him for showing enthusiasm for his hero. Let the kid smile and enjoy his team.

...By the way Im a mavericks fan, and we don't care too kindly to the spurs.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm going to have to guess that regardless of the school policy, due to the boys age, being in middle school, his parents paid for that cut, and paid a pretty penny, so I bet they fight for him.

That was always one battle I choose not to get into with my sons. It was their hair, so I let them be. I may not have taken them out in public with me sometimes, but whatever.
I think the schools are just doing everything possible now days to make sure they turn out as many conformists as possible.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yeah I got burned for long hair in high school in Canon City CO.It's a laugh to hear the same garbage.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Ha, his school would pee itself if they saw the girls at my school! They keep shaving half of their heads!!! A picture shaved into a head is nothing compared to how unsightly these girls are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join