It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid's hairstyle could cause anarchy in school. Threatened with suspension if not fixed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Its a story as old as time; a kid gets a trendy new haircut and the school responds by predicting the end of society as we know it.

Shaving a picture of Matt Bonner in his head could net a young Spurs fan an in-school suspension

A young San Antonio Spurs fan faces an in-school suspension on Thursday if he doesn't somehow find a way to alter the image of Matt Bonner that was shaved into the back of his head. You read the previous sentence correctly. The Spurs forward, who is averaging just 14.6 minutes per game in the postseason, has apparently made such an impact on Woodlake Hills Middle School student Patrick Gonzalez that the youngster decided to have a hairstylist shave an image of the Spurs sharpshooter into the back of his haircut. Via Tas Melas, here's the image that has the principals at Woodlake Hills Middle School in righteous fear of the apparently inevitable anarchy and lawlessness in the school halls that will result if Gonzalez comes to school on Thursday without changing the haircut.

Because the image is so threatening, and so severe, if the style isn't "fixed" by Thursday, Gonzalez will have to take in an in-school suspension (the worst of all suspensions, because you don't get to go home and watch TV), because that seems very rational and fair to all the children.

Yahoo News

Funny, it looks like Chuck Norris to me.

Seriously though, schools have had to deal with new fashion trends for years now. They always say it will be a distraction to the other kids and that it will eventually lead to anarchy.

Then, everyone gets used to it, no big fuss is ever made of it and there is no total breakdown of society as we know it. Many of these fashion fads fade away and carry on only in embarrassing yearbook pictures.

Schools need to realize that we have the technology today to carve detailed images in people's hair. Get used to it. This kid probably isn't the first and he certainly won't be the last. Its the latest fad and time will tell if it lasts. One thing is for sure though; by making such a fuss over it this time, you can be sure more people will become aware of this fashion trend and it will spread all the more quickly, thanks to this school's actions in this case.

They should be thankful its just some lame sports guy carved into his head and not something more controversial. In the end, the world won't break down because of this kid's haircut and people will quickly get used to it and it will cease to be a distraction.

Besides, how long do they think it will take for that to grow out and become unrecognizable anyway?

edit on 5/16/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Nice find FortAnthem!

I agree with you. Somehow I don't believe individual expression through a haircut style is what is wrong with the educational institution in society these days. Isn't the state of California having to cut education spending again due to their 16 Billion dollar annual budget deficit? Well, at least the rich and the corporations still get their tax breaks.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I assume that its a public school but I have to disagree with you anyways. People are there to learn and I believe that they are trying to prevent this from happening again with a more controversial image. What if a kid got trayvon martin cut into his hair and it started issues. They have to draw the line somewhere and I think banning these types of cuts would keep it fair to all students.

You also have to look at the maturity of the young students and it would ultimately become some sort of distraction to some of them. I do disagree with the threat of suspension though, a talk to both the student and parents would suffice.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Yep, because its not corruption on Wall Street and Washington driving us to the brink of destruction. Its not high unemployment or out of control government spending and inflation that's going to bring society down. Racial tensions and the phony war on terror targeting American civilians will in no way lead to the breakdown of society.

All it will take is for some kid to walk into school with the wrong haircut someday.

Thank God we have responsible educators to keep society from collapsing upon itself.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Just another fine example of how the US Dept of education drives the programming into our young students to conform. If you do this, we overreact and you aren't considered normal.

Any display of originality leads to being marked as a social pariah or yes folks......failure to follow the "code" can even have you branded as a Heretic.

Phuc Hu uncle sam......and the horse you rode in on....it starts at the top...and trickles down to effective brainwashing.

I'll show you what normal is...just join me for a night on the town....you'll never want to be unique again..

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
That looks like Chuck Norris

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
They're worried about a child's hair while our educational standards are falling. Priorities people, we have a rough road ahead of us.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I would say something but it might spark a frenzy with some....

Who ever did the haircut did an awesome job on it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It looks like Chuck Norris to me too! A talented barber/hairdresser to say the least.

My daughter is 14 and will be attending high school this coming year. In the 8 years she has attended the public schools in our area, I could easily name 100 things that should be of more concern than a boy showing team spirit. It's about the control I think. Wanting everyone to conform to the perceived norm.

If our education system ranked top in the world then this may not have made some as angry. As it stands I am with a lot of other's who STRONGLY feel that there are more pressing issues concerning our future generation's education than wasting time, resources, and energy on a haircut.
edit on 5/16/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
what is GrandHeretic's avatar about?

as for the kids hair, i assumed it was some albino guy with african ancestery.

could be the hair, skin tone, nostrils i guess.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
what is GrandHeretic's avatar about?

as for the kids hair, i assumed it was some albino guy with african ancestery.

could be the hair, skin tone, nostrils i guess.

That's what he should have said it was. The case would have been open and shut before anyone ever knew about it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: I wonder what independant individual expression is allowed by students [during school hrs] at all?
... If the answer is "None!" ... well, then welcome to your [half arsed] communist state ok!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Well, it's a funny one.

I thought school was to educate children. Prepare them for the real world.

Could any one of you expect to walk into your job with that sort of hair cut, unless you were doing menial tasks? I doubt anyone would care if he garbage man had a funky punk haircut...

But if you're doing my taxes, I'd going to go for the professional looking guy, regardless, because that's what I'd expect.

If this is an outrage to people, I have no idea what type of school you attended. But we had a uniform that had far more strict rules to adhere to than this sort of thing...

I don't see the problem to be honest. it's HAIR... it's not like they're stifling his political or religious stirrings...

edit on 17-5-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I checked out this Bonner guy to see how good of a job that hairstylest did there:

He does bear a resemblance to Chuck Norris.

You can check out his stats here: Fox Sports

Its funny; all of the player headlines on that page have something to do with this kid's haircut.

I wonder how they did that cut. Is this some new tech someone has devised to make such accurate images on hair or is this just some really talented artwork on the part of the hair stylist?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

I assume that its a public school but I have to disagree with you anyways. People are there to learn and I believe that they are trying to prevent this from happening again with a more controversial image.

Is this a controversial image? I'm not sure I understand. Isn't it a sports figure? How is that controversial?

And as regards him being in school to learn, yes, he's there to learn. But this is his HAIRCUT. Not his school clothes. It goes with him wherever he goes. There's more to life than school. It's not like he puts it on to go to school, he also wears it to the movies, church and the swimming pool.

I don't agree with making him "fix" his haircut. Even if it was Trayvon Martin or even George Zimmerman. I agree with the poster who said this is just more indoctrination to conform and not think for ones self... Sometimes I would love to be a parent of a kid they were trying to silence... I would have a field day!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Many moons ago when I was in high school, I had hair halfway down my back. I was one of only a couple guys in our school with long hair. While sitting in class one day, my best friend put my hair in pigtails, and when I went to the next class, the teacher was a little po'ed, and told me to take my hair down before I entered her classroom.

I did not. When the teacher came back into the classroom, the first thing she did was proceed to complain about it in front of the whole classroom...I stood up, shook my pigtails a little, told her that if I was a girl there wouldn't be a problem, and that if a girl could wear her hair in any style they wished, so could I, and if she had a problem with it, feel free to contact my parents. I didn't hear another word about it....Let kids be kids. Schools think they own children, but they don't. It's none of their business what they wear their hair like...but that's just the opinion of an old ex-longhair with attitude.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by BigBruddah

Sometimes I would love to be a parent of a kid they were trying to silence... I would have a field day!

I keep waiting for this myself to be honest. A lot of these school "issues" have me fuming on a daily basis. I am the first one to put the hammer down if my kid is in the wrong. I also will not hesitate to put it down when she is in the right.

It's a cold, cruel world out there. Kids need at least a short time to be kids before being thrown into adulthood. They also need to be taught that they are individuals capable of free thought, and that they DO have the ability to discern what battles they feel they need to fight and which ones can be forfeited (at the appropriate age of course).

They do not like it when a kid marches to the beat of his own drum. It's a scary thing to a world full of chronic conformists.
edit on 5/17/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/17/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: Fixing quote boxes....

edit on 5/17/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: I'll get it eventually...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I said if the next person to get a hair cut in the shape of a person and that person is a controversial figure they may divide the students. I don't really know how to put it but teens will argue and get mad over simple things and you can bet that if one came to school with a zimmerman face in his hair or obscene language people would go nuts. The school already has to deal with enough crap from the students disrupting activities seeing as any proper punishment is not allowed these days and I think banning this wouldn't be a big deal. He can do whatever he wants when he quits school. If he doesn't like it he can be home schooled.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Well, there is a dress code: www.judsonisd.org...

Hair:
• Must be neat, clean and well groomed.
• No type of head covering, cap or hat, hair rollers or long-handled combs may be worn inside the building.
• Sideburns must be kept neatly trimmed and must not extend below ear level or flare at the bottom.
• Symbols and/or styles which are identified with gang membership, affiliation or representation shall not be allowed.
• Extreme hairstyles and/or coloring cannot be a distraction to the educational process.
• Notched eyebrows are prohibited.

So at least they arent being hypocritical.

If they intend to maintain their standards they cant let things slide. Even jingoistic pro-Texas pro-sports stuff that everyone lives so much.
edit on 17-5-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
WOW, just wow... when I was in high school there was a short trend of girls shaving off the hair on the lower portion of their head leaving just the hair from the top and a shaved underside. I loved the style and used to have my step-sister carve designs into this spot, one time she carved an actual anarchy symbol on the back side of my head. And since it did not stick out enough she began coloring the flesh below with magic markers every morning. No one in the school administration ever said anything to me about it except my art teacher, who commented that it was a very unique way to express creativity.

Its hard to believe how quickly the mindset has completely flipped to the polar side.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join