A masons ring of the 32nd degree

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think that "7" stands for 14 degree... My grand father died and he was a mason. We wear left with his ring. They put it in this pyramid, I guess they did not want any one wearing it. I looked up the ring after he died and it said it was ment for a 14 degree... I wonder why its on a 32 degree ring?

The pics are distorted. The shape of the pyramid is really like the shape of the ones in Egypt.

edit on 17-5-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinocchio

I have never heard anyone speak of anything past 33rd and was wondering if you could elaborate on 66-99?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
FYI...TruTV...Looking forward to...

12 Conspiracy Theories About The Masons...

Source

Thanks for the source Loca. I'll have to check that out.

I must say thank you everyone for your interest.
edit on 17-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Those degrees are not recognized by many of our Jurisdictions . He is speaking of the degrees of the Memphis-Misraïm .

Linky

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Originally posted by network dude

You are very close. One must be a Christian to be in the York Rite, but the Scottish Rite is for all faiths

Just a brief comment: in the York Rite, the Commandery (or Preceptory) requires candidates to be Christians, but the Lodge, Chapter, and Council are open to people of all faiths. In the United States and Canada, the Scottish Rite is open to people of all faiths, but in most other countries, including the UK, the Scottish Rite requires candidates to be Christians.

it does discuss Jesus Christ where the blue lodge doesn't mention a specific deity.

The Blue Lodge constantly mentions a specific Deity: the God of the Hebrew Patriarchs, who was the God of Solomon the King. This is the only God spoken of in the Blue Lodge (as well as in the Chapter, Council, and Commandery, for that matter).

Thank you both for the correction. Not being in the York Rite, I was a bit cloudy. (but I thought I wasn't)

ML, You are correct as usual, but I meant we don't get into the different names God is given in the Blue lodge. (I know you know this as well, but I was trying to make sure I didn't look like a total bonehead)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Keep trying Bro. Senior.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

At the 33rd degree...

You get to put your hand on the Quran and swear an oath.

Then you're muslim from there on out.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This may have been mentioned before but the alledges "7" or Reish is actually neither on the ring. It is a very poorly done "yod" a diagrammic mark used to insert vowel sounds in otherwise consenant-based Hebrew. In the Jewish tradition, the title "God" is so holy that it is never uttered and when written is usually shown as "G-d". The yod is the smallest mark in Hebrews text. Jesus said that not a yod or a tittle (the smallest Greek diagrammic, 'breathing' mark) would pass from the law until everything was fulfilled.

In some useage, the yod is used as an abbreviation for "God." That's the significance on the ring, to remind the wearer of their obligations to TSAOTU.

Having said that, I am an ex-Mason. I left that organization because I came to understand that it is basicaly a deistic, pseudo-religion..a point recognized by higher degree Masons and very poorly understand by the lower lodge members. The persuit of moral perfection without the grace of God is ultimately impossible and leads to the sins of arrogance and hubris. No one can trult stand humbley before God who is dedicating his life to pulling himself up by the boot straps.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by osbornegg
Having said that, I am an ex-Mason. I left that organization because I came to understand that it is basicaly a deistic, pseudo-religion..a point recognized by higher degree Masons and very poorly understand by the lower lodge members. The persuit of moral perfection without the grace of God is ultimately impossible and leads to the sins of arrogance and hubris. No one can trult stand humbley before God who is dedicating his life to pulling himself up by the boot straps.

Interesting comment. I left masonry recently as well. Posted a thread about it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

PM me; would love to talk and compare notes.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dextraphite
That is pretty cool! Funny I saw a thread on here a while ago in which someone was claiming that the 33rd degree of masonry was non-existent and a fallacy and just made up to poorly portray masons. This proves him wrong.

Yes well... you know, the fact that there are 32 degrees doesnt mean there are 33.

Like the fact that there are 10 commandments doesnt mean there are 11.

Same logic applies.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by osbornegg
I left that organization because I came to understand that it is basicaly a deistic, pseudo-religion..a point recognized by higher degree Masons and very poorly understand by the lower lodge members.

Define 'higher degree' and 'lower lodge members' and why the degree numbers (past 3rd) have any relevance to the other.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

A special thanks to all the lodge members for participating here. I hope I haven't disrespected any of you by posting this thread.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

At the 33rd degree...

You get to put your hand on the Quran and swear an oath.

Then you're muslim from there on out.

I think you're confusing the 33rd degree with the Shriners.

It's gettin' pretty bad when I have to correct anti-Masons on their anti-Masonry!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Had to confirm it before posting, but was just given the breakdown. In the states, aside from memphis misraim which is generally NOT recognized by grand lodges, there are 3 degrees of freemasonry, also called the blue lodge. After your third degree, that's it - you're as much in the club as anyone else. Once you complete your third degree you can optionally persue any/all of the optional continuances.

The ring is specifically scottish rite. To be scottish rite, you do need to first be a freemason of the 3rd degree. From there you can attain the 4th - 32nd degree, the 32nd being the title of "Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret". The honorary 33rd degree (titled "Sovreign Grand Inspector General") is by invitation only, and usually reserved for vips, celebrities, or generous donators. The only 33rd degree mason I have personally met was a 32nd degree who donated a sizeable amount of money to a masonic childrens hospital (I BELIEVE the scottish rite hospital in dallas,tx) and he'll tell you firsthand he doesn't believe it was his masonic career, but the donation that landed the 33rd.

York rite has 7 degrees and is another branch you can proceed to after your third, but is completely seperate from the scottish rite, and the degrees shouldn't be considered "ranks" I'm told. While you must be mason to join either rite, they are seperate from one another.

The best/easiest to follow link I can find on it is:

www.trosch.org...

So yes, it's a Masonic ring, but also implies the wearer continued past the blue lodge and chose the scottish rite continuance. So as best I can tell the answer to "how many degrees in masonry?" is simply three, however ONE of the optional continuances (the one relevant to the ring) has up to 33 degrees

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired

I have never heard anyone speak of anything past 33rd and was wondering if you could elaborate on 66-99?

He is probably referring to the Oriental Rite of Memphis, a Masonic rite popular in the 19th century, that had 97 degrees. In Europe, this rite was tabled by the Grand Orient of France, which had authority over it.

In the United States, the Sovereign Sanctuary of the Rite of Memphis had a meeting and tabled itself voluntarily, and formed the Grand College of Rites of the United States to take its place. The degrees of Memphis are no longer conferred, but the rituals are made available to members of the College to study (I am a Fellow of the College, and have copies of the degree rituals in manuscript form).

There are now modern organizations calling themselves the Rites of Memphis and Mitzraim, but they work without legitimate Masonic authority, and their members are not recognized as Freemasons. Some of those organizations have cut their number of degrees down to 33 in imitation of the Scottish Rite.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthExposed

I pretty much agree with most of what you wrote, except the 33rd degree conferrals. In reality, most of the guys who are very active in the Scottish Rite will eventually receive the 33rd degree. It's not reserved for VIP's and big contributors....most 33rds are normal, run-of-the-mill folks.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Apologies, the scenario was definitely true at one time, and I believe in certain jurisdictions the 33rd degree was harder to attain than in others say 40 years ago. There's so many diferent jurisdictions these days that it's incredibly difficult to say something about masonry that is universally true. Plus, it's not like it's incredibly easy to find 33rd degree members who will freely talk about it - you folks and your secrets hehe.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthExposed

I have heard that the Scottish Rite system in the UK and on that side of the globe is vastly different than that of the US. In the US, you go from 4-32nd in a weekend usually. You watch a minimum of 5 "plays or skits" acted out and then you are conferred the rest. In some cases, all 29 degrees are acted out, but that is a very long weekend. I actually did mine in one day. One very, very long day. And I can safely say that I retained about 1.3% of the information presented. Luckily, I go back to each reunion and participate in the degrees so I can understand them better.

In the UK, apparently you have to return your work much like the first 3 degrees and the usual progression stops at 18. A smaller percentage go to 32 and an even smaller percentage get to 33.

Not being from the UK, I am only relaying what I think I know, so it's entirely possible that I am wrong.
(My disclaimer)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthExposed
Apologies, the scenario was definitely true at one time, and I believe in certain jurisdictions the 33rd degree was harder to attain than in others say 40 years ago. There's so many diferent jurisdictions these days that it's incredibly difficult to say something about masonry that is universally true.

The are as many Scottish Rite juridictions in the United States now as there were 40 years ago, two.

Masonic Light is correct on receiving the 33rd Degree. The Junior Warden in my lodge is getting his this summer and he has been unemployed for close to a year so he is obviously not making any large monetary donations to anyone.

edit on 17-5-2012 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join