It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question for some of the computer people in here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
When i go into my cmd and use tracert on above top secrets ip address i get 9 out of 30 back and 21 timed out. Whats the deal why cant i see all locations
edit on 16-5-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Perhaps if you post in words rather than shorthand we may be able to help you. I understand CMD as command, so you are using Windows. And tracert seems to mean you wish to ping, or trace a route. What are you trying to trace, and what do you want to know?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
When i go into my cmd and use tracert on above top secrets ip address i get 9 out of 30 back and 21 timed out. Whats the deal why cant i see all locations

Because routers or firewalls between you and the destination are likely denying ICMP.
2nd

brill

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill

Because routers or firewalls between you and the destination are likely denying ICMP.
2nd

brill
Yeah i read that too but 21 out of 30. Im i wrong here is it after one denys ICMP i cant see any location after that? or are 21 routers or firewalls blocking ICMP? These kind of freaks me out thinking what locations am I going though? Or I'm I paranoid for no reason

ps thank you for your answer

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Perhaps if you post in words rather than shorthand we may be able to help you. I understand CMD as command, so you are using Windows. And tracert seems to mean you wish to ping, or trace a route. What are you trying to trace, and what do you want to know?

tracert is the "trace route" command in Windows

Brill is probably correct, its been roughly a decade since I studied CISCO and if you don't use it you lose it.

Or you could have a firewall blocking that stuff, I have peerblock and set it to block akamai and then had issues with SWTOR, not sure why they require to go through akamai servers to get into the game but I wasn't too happy about it.

edit on 16-5-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Brill is right they don't reply but they do forward the packets to the next guy down the line - his choice to send a reply or not, not replying ads a little more anonimity. I have been a network engineer since 94 seeing what you are seeing with tracert for the last 18 years.
edit on 16-5-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Brill is right they don't reply but they do forward the packets to the next guy down the line - his choice to send a reply or not, not replying ads a little more anonimity. I have been a network engineer since 94 seeing what you are seeing with tracert for the last 18 years.

Yeah i got that bill was right but could you answer my second question posted after regarding after one tracert denys icmp im i not allowed to view the other locations or are all the locations blocking icmps requests?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

Traceroute uses ICMP (pings) with an increasing Time-To-Live (TTL) count. When routers handle a packet they subtract 1 from the TTL count (which is usually 255). If TTL reaches zero the router deletes the packet and reports back to the originator with its IP address etc. this is how traceroute works - it sends the first ping with a TTL of 1, the second with TTL of 2 etc. eventually after a number of hops the TTL is high enough the packet gets to the destination.
Some Internet devices automatically drop ICMP packets to protect against DOS attacks - these are the blank responses you are seeing. It is not true to say that they are not forwarding the packets on: as per the above they would have deleted the packet with a TTL of zero anyway. Instead they just ignored it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

They all are, or there are problems with the return path. It's not a case of you hitting one time out and then subsequent hops time out by default, if that's what you're asking.

They would all actively block the request but pass traffic on. It could be network problems or lost packets.. And none of it's unique on the net.

Try it more than once, and at different times. It can take different routes. For instance, I just did it, and not a single hop times out, and from a total of 14 hops.

You can also try an online tracert tool from say Network Tools or Geek Tools as they will use a different starting route from you, if you're trying to determine if a website/server is down in general.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550

Yeah i got that bill was right but could you answer my second question posted after regarding after one tracert denys icmp im i not allowed to view the other locations or are all the locations blocking icmps requests?

Is this what you are seeing?

Ping www.cern.com ---- DNS returns that www.cern.com has an Ip address of 66.152.109.98
Cern.com apparently does not exist but they are maintaining their DNS
Start the trace route and it gets to 12 hops (tvc.com - the owner of the network or subnet 66.X.X.X)
Beyond that cerns interface is probably down.

Thanks I haven't really thought about this in a long time.

Cern dosen't respond

Pinging www.cern.com [66.152.109.98] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.152.109.98:
Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),
Control-C
^C

Tracert gets to hop 12 and dies

C:\Users\----->tracert www.cern.com

Tracing route to www.cern.com [66.152.109.98]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

top topics