It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots In Restaurant Outnumber Humans in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I thought this was pretty interesting because I was just thinking about this not long ago. I was thinking about robots n restaurants and bars and eventually working in other labor and service sector capacities.

Robot employees outnumber human employees in this Harbin, China restaurant. In all, the restaurant has eighteen robots, which do everything from cook food, welcome customers and serve food at tables.

The owner says the robots, which cost between 200,000~300,000 yuan ($32,000~$48,000 USD), can display 10 different emotions and speak simple phrases.

The robot stops automatically if a customer gets in its way thanks to ultrasonic range sensors, and will sound an alarm if it needs to be repaired.

Each robot also knows how to return to an appropriate power source when feeling run-down, which happens about every five hours.

www.technovelgy.com...

As robots become more efficient than humans I think this will happen. Who will complain if Robots work 20 hours a day?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Oh ok, so this Op is about robot employees in China.

For a second their I thought the Chinese were starting to eat robots.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Now if they could just get some of them robots to start making ALL of their products, maybe something coming out of China can finally have quality that is actually worth a damn for a change...

edit on 16-5-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Looks like a bogus article. it would seem that if this place was real their would be some footage.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The U.S. Military has a directive for all services to have a percentage of Military equipment be fully robotic over the next decade. The U.S. Army must have over 50% of all convoy trucks robotic by 2018. The USAF has a directive to have Aircraft at over 60% Robotic by 2020 and so on.

One of the main reason that the F-22 Raptor will not be produced in large numbers is that Robotic Versions of Stealth Fighters...which without the weight requirements that are needed to allow a Human to survive at altitude as well as the weight of ejection seats....will allow Robotic Fighters to be able to perform manuvers and obtain speeds that would kill a Human Pilot plus the lower Weight requirements will allow greater range as well as allowing greater weapons capabilities.

USN. Robotic Carrier Fighter/Attack Aircraft are already being tested with incredible capabilities. The same can be achieved with Tanks, Bombers, Self Propelled Howitzers and all sorts of new Weapons. This is a natural for kids who have been playing Video Games their whole lives and we will all see these Robotic Weapons VERY SOON. Split Infinity

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I doubt it's bogus. There's no need to fake something like this. There's other articles that the website sources and you can go to you tube and see robots doing similar things.

These are the first steps. There interesting but not earth shattering. Google robotic cars drive themselves so it wouldn't make any sense to fake something like this.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
www.technovelgy.com...

I want one!

How did the robot on the table get there?

This 'article' smells fake.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I don't think that's a robot server on the table. That looks like Wall-E and a prop. The robot server is serving the food.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

I'm confused further:

The article states the restaurant is in Harbin, China, but te article it sites as a source says it is located at the Chung-Ang University which is in Korea, about 2000k away.

When I google the name of the alleged resteraunt, i get nothing.

This restaurant was named "sea robot ho" is located in the city of Chung-Ang University.

View link below through google translate:

j.people.com.cn...
edit on 16-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Maybe it's something that was lost in translation. Like I said I don't see the need to fake this because you can see people making robots like this in their homes on You Tube. Here's another article and video on this. You can also see other robot waiters from China on You Tube.

The first robot restaurant in Harbin, capital of northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, will open in May. This is the fourth robot restaurant to be set up in China.

The restaurant's 18 robot waiters have been designed and made by Haohai Robot Company Co., Ltd in Harbin. Each one costs around 200,000 yuan (about 32,000 US dollars) and their robotic serving powers are usually limited to one task. They can work for five hours continuously on a two-hour battery charge.

"It is known to all, offering trays of food and drinks to customers is the most laborious work and now these robot waiters will do it instead," said Liu Hasheng, chief engineer of Haohai Robot Restaurant.

Liu also added that the price of food here is reasonable. "Each customer will spend 40 or 50 yuan (about 6.30 to 7.90 US dollars) on average like any common restaurant."

Like I said, it could be a fake story but I doubt it. Why would you fake something like this? These are simple tasks that you can see Robot's doing this and more all over the net.

If you're going to fake a story, say you have a robot that can fix any car. That's a lot of instructions vs. take the tray to the table.
edit on 16-5-2012 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Pretty cool! But we also have to remember that not all "robots" are in the form that automatically jumps into our minds (android type). The general definition is a mechanical device that can be programmed to carry out instructions and perform complicated tasks usually done by people. Doesn't have to look like a person, just has to be programmable and cary out complicated tasks... like a programmable coffee pot or microwave (stretching it a little) or the robotic arms they use in manufacturing... lots of different types out there even beyond the ones talked about in the article and the ones who look like R2D2.
Rise of the machines?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Good points.

That's what will happen. We will program robots to do more and more things for us and if AI ever occurs they will be in a position to control everything.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Good points.

That's what will happen. We will program robots to do more and more things for us and if AI ever occurs they will be in a position to control everything.

Worryingly, as we programme robots to do more and more for us.... What use will people be to TPTB?

new topics

top topics

join