It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drawing Tablets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
As I've said before, you guys know your stuff, so I'm here to get some ideas. I'm looking to buy a graphics tablet for some basic illustration. What's everyone's preference? I've heard some good things about the Wacom Bamboo, but the active area of the tablet seems to be quite small unless you want to make the leap up to 200 or so dollars. I'd be willing to spend that, but I have a feeling the reason it's priced so high is because of the packaged software that comes with it, as well as the name. At this point the Bamboo Capture model seems to be pretty reasonable at 99 dollars. Any artists out there who have experience in this area, who who have tried a variety of them? Any advice to follow when choosing the one that's right for you? Anything you realize you should have considered before buying one? Let me know.

Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgenstern89

Wacom Intuos is the correct choice. If you can afford it a Cintiq.

I have three sizes of Wacom's and never use the largest one. It's simply to big. The medium sized tablets I find the most useful and I keep a small one for my laptop. The Medium or Large should work out for you, unless you have a reason for the Extra Large version. Like I said the big one sits in my closet as it takes up to much real estate and I find the medium one fills my needs really well.

I'd like one of the new Cintiq 24HD's but can't afford it just yet.

If you have the budget for a Cintiq, I have seen some complaints in regards to the 12 WX and praise for the 24HD. I don't know as I've not used one.

If your just using a tablet to try it out as a hobbyist and your budget is limited, you might find a Wacom Bamboo to be OK. If your serious you will end up buying an Intuos or a Cintiq anyway.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I switched for a Cintiq last year and would find it very difficult to revert to an Intuos tablet...

I have the 12WX and the only complaint is about the buttons and sliders being in front. I've seen the next generation has it all under the tablet. But it's really no big deal.

And I use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro for drawing. It's like the next best thing after paper!

But if you can only afford an Intuos, you won't be disappointed, it's a nice tablet.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Oh sure, you rich one percenters and your fancy Cintiq's

Next year I get a new workstation and hopefully a Cintiq 24. Software and hardware upgrades raped me this year already and I need a new workstation. It never ends

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Actually, I'm more part of the bottom 1% of the 99... LOL

My first Wacom was a UDR 1212 that lasted nearly 14 years!
It cost me 1200$ then...
Wacom ain't cheap, but I have never had to complain about their products.

My daughter is using my old Intuos now. And it has been used and abused.

But as soon as I can get a 24, I will. I want to be able to see my entire page as if I was holding a paper, instead of half of it.

Nothing's perfect, but it's getting there!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

They do last for a long time. My large one is over ten years old I think.

I'd imagine a Bamboo is sufficient for a lot of people. They look affordable. I've never had a tablet from Wacom go bad though. Still have them sitting in a closet.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ive wanted a Cintiq for so long now but its hard to justify spending as much as an entire new computer on one piece of hardware.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

As said above, a Wacom is a very good investment.

It is reliable and surprisingly long lasting for a piece of hardware. You wouldn't regret a dime spent on it, that's for sure.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

The only major adjustment I had to make with my previous tablets was to get used to drawing on the side while looking at the monitor. You have to find an angle that will translate your moves as naturally as possible.

You can always have it resting on you, but however you take it, you won't be able to look at the tablet, and sometimes, it leads to errors that force you to go back a step or two. It slows you down just that much.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I think I can definitely rule out the fancy ones though.

They would be amazing to work with, but I'll probably stick with something a bit simpler especially since it's my first one.

I didn't think about translating the movement on the pad to the screen. I'm assuming then that there is a slight learning curve that comes into play until you fall into your "groove" then.

What would you say the advantages of this are versus drawing on paper, scanning, and then inking in photoshop? I assume shading and things of that nature would be a great deal easier. Do you tend to use a combination of both, or have you gone completely to using the pad start to finish?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
personnaly i think all drawing tablets suck. i find drawing on paper then scanning, then work from there is far better.
but thats just me.

edit on 19-5-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I used to draw on paper and then ink and scan and made corrections with a software.

While the Cintiq is a real plus, the software you will use will be important. Personally, I now use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro as the feel of the drawing is very very similar to a drawing made directly on paper, and is relatively cheap, being just above a hundred dollars.

And it is a very simple and easy to use program, yet very powerful.

To the risk of looking like I make self promotion, here's a link to some drawings I posted here on ATS, and that I made on Sketchbook.
link

It is a program that helps keep the warmth of your pencils. I don't ink anymore, and that was something I loved to do.

And yes, eventually, you will find your angle while using a tablet!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

I had the same feeling as you and thought I would never produce drawings worthy of the name directly through a tablet. Ever.

But that was before the Cintiq!
That is a game changer for sure!
Like everything else, it needs adaptation, but erasing is less messy on the table and the paper...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

If you want a simple vector package. Try Gimp its opensource and free to DL

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Wacom basically has a monopoly on the drawing tablets market, so the prices aren't likely to come down. I've been wanting a Cintiq for years but just can't afford it. I did however find a used Wacom Graphire 3 6x8 inch tablet on eBay for $30 and it is excellent. It's an older model so the pen doesn't have all the functions as the Intuos, but it does everything I need and I'd definitely recommend getting one at least that size for starting out with. There is a huge learning curve when you first start using it and realize you can't look down at your hand or pen tip when you're drawing. One advantage to pen and paper is that you'll save money in the long run on supplies.

join