It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal workers raking in millions in bonuses, new database shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Federal workers raking in millions in bonuses, new database shows

A new in-depth database of federal worker salaries shows the government paid out a whopping $105 billion in salaries last year for most of its civilian workforce -- to boot, the workers got $439 million in bonuses.

Should be fun looking through that.

The database, which is now online, allows users to enter a federal worker's name and their department, and then look up their salary information. The trove covers about 70 percent of federal workers, with some eye-opening results. The average salary, for instance, for New Jersey's federal employees was $83,749. Many senior executives throughout the federal government make a six-figure salary. Attorney General Eric Holder makes $199,700 - like other Cabinet-level officials. And Jeff Neely, the suspended General Services Administration employee at the heart of the Las Vegas convention scandal, was pulling in $172,000. The database also shows the government has been liberally handing out bonuses, with many in the ten-of-thousands-of-dollars range. The top bonus in the Justice Department was $37,505. In the Agriculture Department, it was $62,895. Some of the biggest bonuses, though, were the product of a special presidential award program.

Bonuses over $60,000.00... huh.

I know people who actually work, and bring home less than half that in a year.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Dear lernmore,

The Federal Government hires scientists and medical doctors and others that have high salaries or they contract the services out and pay even more. You might want to look at what the average federal consultant gets paid for the same services.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

S&F

As much as i'd like to be outraged, this may not be that far off the mark compared to equivalent non-gov positions of the same level of expertise. 

I worry more about the cronyism like Solyndra, where all the investors and big wigs got their money back with profit while we were on the hook for $500 billion. That's the real BS!!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It doesn't surprise me. I have a friend who just retired from the DOD. Not only does she get
a pension and Social Security and excellent insurance coverage, she is also drawing
unemployment....until she dies!
Government workers are so overpaid it's shocking. It's a travesty. And the rest of us
are footing the bill.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The amounts didn't shock me as much as wondering why they're government employees in the first place.
I thought they'd be paid a bit less... but it did surprised me some.

The issue I have is that every time a government program, or agency, is created, it almost never goes away.

They seem to ruin everything they touch, and have to pay people for it. In the private sector, you either put out or go down.
Just look at the U.S. Postal Service, Social Security, Medicare, Dept of Education, F.E.M.A. as a few prime examples of how badly adding a bunch of bureaucrats works out.

It only took a F.O.I.A. request for me to start getting a clearer picture of just how many there are.

Pretty soon they're going to have to import more people from China just to fill all those positions at this rate.
Okay, I made that last one up, but still...

Congress is nothing more than a glorified cookie stealers club, and they aren't working for us, but fighting with each other about who gets to hand those jobs and contracts out to their buddies, regardless of whether the tag on their underwear is marked with an "R" or a "D". There's always a kick-back in there somewhere.

Living in a society with a permanently swelling Government is not something anyone (with any sanity) should ever wish for their kids, or theirs.

That, and I was just sharing the link.

The Solyndra plant is for sale BTW, if you can land one of those government jobs and golf with Barry.

edit on 16-5-2012 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I agree with the op, we as the people forget that we are the government and they are supposed to be our elected officials working in our best interest, somewhere this got switched around, and they are looking out for there (politicians) interests. We are starving, both economically and leadership wise! i think we need to get the lawyers out of washington and get back to our roots, and follow the much desecrated declaration of independence, and the way our forefathers planned it out for us!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
105 billion in salaries and 439 million in bonuses for what?

Being the most corrupt,incompetent government this nation has ever seen?

Wow and they have the nerve to criticize ceo's?

Meh

edit on 16-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

You can't draw unemployment if you are retired. Especially not till you die.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

New Jersey also has one of the highest cola's in the country. My state does also. 80,000 is actually the cola to just get by in many counties in my state.

There are almost 2 million federal employees, half make under 50,000.But don't let facts get in the way.

Salaries have also been frozen since 2010.

there are also far less federal workers per capita then since the Nixon administration.

this has been a ploy the conservatives have been trying to use as an excuse to cut the budget for federal workers.

of course for everyone except congressmen.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That's what I thought too. But it's not true if you retire from the DOD.

new topics

top topics

join