It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay Down After DDoS Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Pirate Bay Down After DDoS Attack

www.huffingtonpost.com

The Pirate Bay has been down for over 24-hours as a result of a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, according to the website's Facebook account.

It's not uncommon for the popular file-sharing website to be down for a few hours, but an outage this long is rare.

Torrent Freak and ZDNet have speculated that Anonymous may be behind the attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This is truly an odd peice of news as the story continues to read on as follows, but before you read on, take a look at the headline in the post and then continue to read...

The BBC reports it is unlikely that Anonymous is behind the current Pirate Bay DDoS though, since they typically defend--not attack-- sites like The Pirate Bay.

So who should we believe ? , was this an anon attack or was it some other group, or should we just feed the media junkies with bling titles like " Pirate Bay Down After DDoS Attack" why not simply write something along the lines of " Pirate Bay Site Crashes ", but nooooooo, its easier to sell news with key words like " DDoS" and "Attack" as they are buzz words and google does need the money not to mention that GM pulled out of Facebook advertising as they finally realized that Facebook advertising is just another hype market that in reality has zero ROI.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Works for me.

Peace

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

twitter.com...

funny
nothing about it on their twitter feed

maybe it's being quietly blocked?

fixed link

why does /#!/ get added to it?
edit on 16-5-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed links

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
PB is working on this side of the world....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It was down about 6+ hrs ago, as always the media is late to actually bring out the news. Then again, i couldn't go out and twitter or post it on ats before it hit main stream media fast food outlets right .

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

The BBC reports it is unlikely that Anonymous is behind the current Pirate Bay DDoS though, since they typically defend--not attack-- sites like The Pirate Bay.

It was stated by Pirate Bay 2 days ago they didn't agree with ANON's tactics... If ANON wants FREE and OPEN internet, they shouldn't attack certain websites.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

From what i am aware of is that the site functionality was operating but apparently its torrents and trackers were hit thus making downloading impossible or extremely slow at best. As for if this was anon, well anyone who does any attack is considered an anon. Its become the lady gaga of the internet and its funny to see how the media knows this and plays with it.

link   
The pirate bay isn't loading for me.

But when I use Tor it loads.

Hmm
edit on 5-16-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

It was stated by Pirate Bay 2 days ago they didn't agree with ANON's tactics... If ANON wants FREE and OPEN internet, they shouldn't attack certain websites.

Especially websites witch are helping keep a free internet. If Anon did bring PB down then they are letting power get to their head just like the people in our Goverment.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
still down for me and has been for 8 plus hours, I dont know why
second

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It was definitely down last night

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It's still down now, I think (but I've got the slowest connection in the world so they all load slowly for me).

Don't know why people just don't leave that site alone.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
ah yes..how dumb of me, placed a link that shouldn't have been there. Oh well, we all have our ups and downs, no harm done.

edit on 16-5-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well here in the U.K, VirginMedia have actually blocked PB completely so we haven't been able to access it for weeks now. It's only a matter of time before every internet provider follows suite. Just watch.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It is a DDoS attack, TPB have said so themselves, most likely record labels or other copyright holders are behind it. They also said not to worry, they will be back up and running tomorrow, lol.

EDIT: They (TPB) have also stated that __._ is under heavy DDoS attack.
edit on 16/5/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Is the story described in this ATS thread from the other day the reason?

Originally posted by stuncrazy

The Pirate Bay Knocks Anonymous

www.escapistmagazine.com

"We do NOT encourage these actions. We believe in the open and free internets, where anyone can express their views. Even if we strongly disagree with them and even if they hate us," read a Facebook message from the Pirate Bay staff. "So don't fight them using their ugly methods. DDOS and blocks are both forms of censorship."

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

No, it is another source, as I said above, most likely record labels or such like trying to make it look like anonymous, TPB have said so themselves.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

He said

It seems to be running, not sure about the torrent side of it all

and then in 2nd line posted a simple link to The Pirate Bay.

This seems an over the top post action?

edit on 16-5-2012 by xecoybh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join