It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the love of God, Buy yourself a can opener!!! NOW

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I own about 6 pairs of the Leathermans. Some at home, in the shop, car, etc. Best utilitie knife ever made.

I do have some extra can openers just in case.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
You know, it's all good to have a can opener, but it's my experience that those dollar store can openers break rather easily. During my Homeless days I probably bought 20 of them, and they all broke within a month or two.

If you're ever S.O.L here's an old Hobo Trick. You can grind a can open on the sidewalk. Simply place the end you want to open down, place your weight on the top and grind the lid on the pavement in a circular motion. Check your progress frequently and soon enough the lid will be wea enough that you'll be able to press down on it and pop the can open. It's long (My personal record was 5 minutes) But it beats trying to smash the can open.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Great advice in these replies.

Im going to look for one of those P38s, heh.

Thanks!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Didn't read the thread, just read the title...

Just a few hours ago I was looking in my cupboard and saw a tasty looking canned soup... then I realized I did not have a can opener. I was really sad.

The end.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Pretty sure I could open a can with any old common pointed rock, with pretty good efficiency I'll add. However your right it would be a good idea to have one, certainly easier, but like others have said, it would be more efficient to open cans with something more multifunctional to cut down on unneeded items and weight.

But yeah my point, cans aren't that strong and will open easily one way or the other, when your hungry and desperate.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
You should probably clarify for the goofballs out there that you mean a manual can opener. Some people out there may read your rant and think they are to good for the dollar store, then go to Wal-mart and buy an electric can opener.

Personally, I have no clue why people own electric can openers. Is it that hard to open a can manually?

It's called arthritis.

Second...
edit on 17-5-2012 by QueSeraSera because: posted before reply finished

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I have one already.

But I would advice buying anything that is to cheep, as they do break pretty easily and the quality does not last long.

Myself I carry one of these around, a Multitool There are many versions of it, made by a bunch of companies, just what you see in the link is one of the better ones out there on the market for the price.

And I have found that its a very useful little tool in a whole bunch of situations, you can even open cans with it as it has a knife, and you would be surprised how many times that little tool came in handy in everyday life. Way better then a can opener, not saying can openers are useless, there just not all there cracked up to be....Mmmm, K good thread way deserving of the flag and star I gave it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
While on the subject of can openers, I would suggest stocking up on many cans of Lima beans because they are very, very high in protein. Lima beans are a superfood. If you got some canned ham to add to them then you will be very fortunate. Protein intake folks, it's all about the protein intake. ~$heopleNation

You'll never know how hard it made me shudder to hear :ham and lima beans"

We had a special name for that combination, and it wasn't complimentary...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Just to prove to myself that it could be done, this afternoon, I opened a can with a utility knife (rockwell 60-62) that has the score lines to break off worn tips. It worked and nothing chipped. Of course I was extra careful but if you're primary work knife is more delicate than that then maybe you should try finding a tougher one.

OR...

I could just use my handy-dandy P-38 to open cans, and save my knife for knife-stuff!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Sure, if you have it, but if you don't it doesn't mean that you can't get into a can, which was what the OP was implying. My point was that your knife can pull can opening duty and still be able to do knife stuff. A good knife will come out of can opening duty unscathed, so why go hungry for fear of harming a good knife?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

LOL!
When I was a kid I decided I needed a utility belt, sort of like Batman's. The trouble is...there are so many things you decide you simply must have that soon the utility belt weighs more than the batmobile.
Then I remembered...the guerilla fighter's philosophy.
May the gods gift you with fat, rich and well equipped enemies!
edit on 18-5-2012 by Luminaught because: Accidents will happen, it's only hit and run.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
or better yet get a leatherman or a gerber, got a million tools in one

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Sure, if you have it, but if you don't it doesn't mean that you can't get into a can, which was what the OP was implying. My point was that your knife can pull can opening duty and still be able to do knife stuff. A good knife will come out of can opening duty unscathed, so why go hungry for fear of harming a good knife?

I'm mostly here for the lulz, since I don't plan on eating out of cans anyhow - but you know what they say about the "best laid plans of mice and men"

No, I won't go hungry for lack of an opener should I encounter a stash of cans - there are a million ways to worry them open, with or without committing "knife abuse"... but that'll work too. So will a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, a rock or a concrete slab, or any number of things that ought to be found in the company of a stash of cans - seriously, who's going to abandon a house, take all their tools, but leave the grub?

I bet even if the only can opener in the house is electric, I can find a ginsu in the kitchen drawer!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I see we have different ways of looking at knives. To me they are tools and are for use and abuse. They are meant to be used, wear out, then be replaced.

I don't have that paranoia, that some preppers seem to have, that they will have to live the rest of their lives in the wilderness with only what they have on them, so that whatever they have has to last longer than them, their children and even their grandchildren.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
These handy things are probably the greatest survival tool. Can be used to stab, poke, (posisble protection?).
edit on 16-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

What's wrong with the knife?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I see we have different ways of looking at knives. To me they are tools and are for use and abuse. They are meant to be used, wear out, then be replaced.

Yes, it's a simple difference in viewpoint. I'm more of a "blade is the soul of the warrior" kinda guy, and you seem to be more of a "stuff is made to be used" kinda guy. I probably pay an inordinate amount of attention to the things my life may some day depend on, but in all honesty, knives are really just a convenience, made to be used.

I don't have that paranoia, that some preppers seem to have, that they will have to live the rest of their lives in the wilderness with only what they have on them, so that whatever they have has to last longer than them, their children and even their grandchildren.

I'm not quite that far gone - I know how to set up and use a forge, so I can make more if I need to. I expect that whatever the disaster, there will at least be derelict cars for years to come, and those leaf springs can make some useful stuff!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I didn't mean to say that you had that mentality, just that some do. Many have said that what will actually keep you alive is what you know. Knowing how to work steel will mean you will always have a good blade and things to trade, like can openers.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join