It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the love of God, Buy yourself a can opener!!! NOW

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
For the record, to properly open a can with a knife:
1)set the can on a flat, solid surface.
2)position the knife tip directly over the center of the lid, holding the knife at the handle.
3)use the butt of your free hand, or a rock or pice of wood, and firmly tap the butt end of the knife, puncturing the can
4)saw through the can with the knife. Voila. Open can.

You can also repeat steps 2 and 3 all the way around the perimeter of the cancan, but it takes far more time.

Either way, there is little to no risk of cutting oneself.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have one of these on every key chain, and in every rucksack, or bag i have, and also in every glove box of every vehicle.......

P38

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
For the record, to properly open a can with a knife:
1)set the can on a flat, solid surface.
2)position the knife tip directly over the center of the lid, holding the knife at the handle.
3)use the butt of your free hand, or a rock or pice of wood, and firmly tap the butt end of the knife, puncturing the can
4)saw through the can with the knife. Voila. Open can.

You can also repeat steps 2 and 3 all the way around the perimeter of the cancan, but it takes far more time.

Either way, there is little to no risk of cutting oneself.

Lol, i will take this challenge

To properly open a can with a can opener (Manuel)
1: Attach top of can to can opener clamp
2: Squeeze handles (puncture can)
3: twist 360 degrees

You must be a riot at BBQ's
edit on 16-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Are you insinuating that china made products are designed to fail in a shtf scenario?!?
lol

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
yes buy at least a few because they dont make em like they used to!

seriously they are made from soft bendy metal and get too dull to pierce the can or go around...

theres a few i bought that way that didnt work even the first time tried! even if you're handy and troubleshoot them it can be hard to realign them to work esp when the plastic parts break off or the metal bends and breaks - been there done that.

are can openers allowed in AIRLINES carry on?

and remember for survival stock, cans are heavy and the liquid, metal take up alot of bulk. DRIED beans, grain seeds, ie rice. dry milk are more concentrated, lighter, and spread out more when rehydrated.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
When I was a broke teenager living in my own apartment, I never had a can opener, always opened cans with my pocket knife.

Had to do it a few months ago when I moved in my new house and had no clue where the can opener was, too many boxes.

I say, invest in knives

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

LOL!!

Well, thanks for trying...thought I'd give it a shot myself...and its not easy to type in the 3rd person....

anyway...Im so glad that its not just the manufacturers in my area making crap products...well, i mean im glad im no the only one suffering...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

I absolutely am... or not. I haven't figured out which answer will garner me more stars yet.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

I say, invest in knives

boils down to that! better investment heheh but cant carry it around so innocently for 'food'

or any thick/sharp kitchen knife - knock lines into top until they connect and walllah- pop lid open no need to keep going around with a dull new opener that doesnt open

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I have one of these. It's a commercial #10 can opener. But, you can open any size with it. Mounts to a counter or table.

Plenty of hand helds too. Get several smaller ones to BOBs, car, just handy to have them when there is no electricity.

Des

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I have one of these. It's a commercial #10 can opener. But, you can open any size with it. Mounts to a counter or table.

Plenty of hand helds too. Get several smaller ones to BOBs, car, just handy to have them when there is no electricity.

Des

Oh ya, I am looking at this from a civilian point of view rather than some army vet, perhaps.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Chickensalad

It isn't! I had to go back over it a few times. And no, you are definitely not alone. A lot of people don't take pride in their work anymore, or we have stuff shipped in from other places and expect to get a $99 product for .99 cents. It's hard to find sturdy, good, products at decent prices anymore.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
What happens when the cans run out?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

No more Soylent Green?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
What happens when the cans run out?

You use mine to beat rodents with...perfect size for that....

Des

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Thank you for my first smile of the day..
Something so simple yet so lethal. I like.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
A can opener is certainly convenient, but not altogether necessary. As many have said, its easy enough to just use a knife. I've even used a slipjoint folder to open cans before. You just have to be careful and use a little common sense.

That said, most people on forums such as this are going to have a multitool that includes a can opener. I know I have several.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

lmao! i was just thinking the same thing!!

a p38 is very cheap, you can get them at any surplus store, and they will open anything from a 5 lb coffee can to a small ration can!

I still have mine from the military! i carried it on my dog chains, and now on my keychain..

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Why would you need a can opener? Just do what this guy did
:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
p38 demoreply to post by thunder2u

i just found a demo of the p38 on youtube!

enjoy !!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join