It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the love of God, Buy yourself a can opener!!! NOW

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Can openers are nice, but are by no means a life-saving tool. Ive opened canned foods with everything from a rock, to a buck knife, to another can. It is very doable, without a can opener.

The convenience of an opener is nice, though.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Proof that knives work best.

Lmao

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Amen brother.

If you can't out think a can...you deserve to starve.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I am a female and a stay at home mom. I ALWAYS carry one of those small military can openers on my key ring and keep at least one in the junk drawer. I am amazed at how tiny things like that are forgotten even when you are planning a trip. We hiked some of the Appalachain Trail a few weeks back, when we stopped to make camp for the night who was the only one with a can opener so the others could eat their pork and beans???

It's a good thing to have for sure!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ha Ha Ha!
Too funny!

You,know,when I went through a few hurricanes,can openers sold out.
Where did they all go?
Batteries and candles I understand,but can openers?
I guess everyone had electric can openers.

Sure,there are many ways to open a can,but it's so much more convenient for our lazy butts to use a can opener.
edit on 16-5-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Where did they all go? Probably to people like my mother in law who will only own an electric can opener. Go figure

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think I will stick with my trusty Kabar. It has yet to fail me and the one I use is my grandfathers from WWII.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Same here, P-38 (John Wayne) is great, except it snags in my pocket on my keychain.
A bayonette is real good also, something with a thick blade will work great.
Just remember,, you don't want to try opening a can with a folding knife, you might be missing a finger if your not careful!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
I think I will stick with my trusty Kabar. It has yet to fail me and the one I use is my grandfathers from WWII.

hopefully the can will pop up or skew in a wrong direction thus slicing your (can holding hand)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Reply to post by Jordan River

hopefully the can will pop up or skew in a wrong direction thus slicing your (can holding hand)

Why would you hope for that??? Or are you sarcastically admitting that the kabar is superior than a can opener? lol I think so.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 16-5-2012 by strafgod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
Reply to post by Jordan River

Why would you hope for that??? Or are you sarcastically admitting that the kabar is superior than a can opener? lol I think so.

Huh, i never used a blade to open a metal can, honestly, i would be concern all the while using my right hand to poke a hole, unless it cuts like butter, that the blade would skew and slice the hand I am holding the can with.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Its surprisingly easy to open a can with a knife but im sure its just as easy to cut yourself. Practice makes perfect. You could still get cut by the lid though even using a can opener, so...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Speaking of which.....

In the last 5-10 years The Chickensalad and an aquaintance of his, have noticed that its hard as hell to find a can opener that lasts more than a few months. No matter where The Chickensalad buys them, they just suck. They either break or just quit working properly. Its not just The Chickensalad either. Just about anybody The Chickensalad brings it up to, they also agree. But, if you have an older one, The Chickensalad is sure that its still going strong. Anybody else noticing this?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Originally posted by usmc0311

Nah, I'm a pro at it. Plus a Kabar blade will cut through a can lid like a hot knife through butter if it is a good honed blade.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chickensalad
Speaking of which.....

In the last 5-10 years The Chickensalad and an aquaintance of his, have noticed that its hard as hell to find a can opener that lasts more than a few months. No matter where The Chickensalad buys them, they just suck. They either break or just quit working properly. Its not just The Chickensalad either. Just about anybody The Chickensalad brings it up to, they also agree. But, if you have an older one, The Chickensalad is sure that its still going strong. Anybody else noticing this?

Let me see if I can do this right....

Kangaruex4Ewe has also noticed that the new can openers do not last as long or work as good as the old ones. Kangaruex4Ewe notices this with lots of other things as well. Kangaruex4Ewe thinks it may have something to do with China trying to take down the country through cheaply made, mass produced products. This makes Kangaruex4Ewe kind of sad.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Chickensalad

Yep, noticed it, at least with the kitchen variety, where you squeeze the two handles together, then twist the wheel. The ancient on in grandma's kitchen, over 50 years old still works fine. I have gone through a few of those this year. The ones in my multitools last forever, but who wants to hand open a can outside of the wilderness?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

First of all, you are a complete tool for hoping someone gets injured. Second, anyone with even the slightestaptitude for knivess can open a can without a can opener.

Ats really is turning into a juvenile place. "You don't agree with me so I'm gonna be rude". Pathetic.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Reply to post by captaintyinknots

I read that exactly the same way as you but I think he ment to say won't* instead of "will"

"hopefully the can will* pop up or skew in a wrong direction thus slicing your (can holding hand)"

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I still have my P38 from basic training. I will never forget the day they told us .. you can have a can of food sitting in front of you and you can still starve if you dont' have one of these. Since then, I've had it on my key chain.

Me, too. I've had it on my key chain since high school--and I'm retired. Nothing like the Real Thing, not some cheap imitation!

Yeah, sure. Use a knife, but that's not exactly with finesse. The idea is to get the lid off neatly. A P-38 will do that, though it can take awhile.
edit on 5/16/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
You know I am talking to the general public, not some 14 hour, rifleman, rotc, jock, Sargent militia group. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join