It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the love of God, Buy yourself a can opener!!! NOW

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
welcome to my can opener rant thread
I want all the people who are working (that leaves me outside of the pile) to go out and buy at least 5$ worth of can opener at your nearest dollar store right now. Dollar store can opners are a buck, plus tax. These handy things are probably the greatest survival tool. Can be used to stab, poke, (posisble protection?). Today, i did some charitable work, and I left wondering, if the person I helped had a can opener. Go get some can openers, because when the SHTF, you will know why!

Or you can just be around a # load of food with no can opener.

The dollar store ones are cheap, so be gentle with them
edit on 16-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
My granpappy killed a tank with one back in world war one....
which is why we had to open cans of condensed milk with his bayonet

go figure

no stars or flags were harmed during the making of this post.

eta
if the labels fall off your cans
just hold them up the east pointed at the rising sun.
you should then be able to see the bones of what ever is in the can
edit on 16-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Bahhaha

I was just looking through new topics as i do and then suddenly this rather extreme and aggressive suggestion appeared.

Thanks for the reminder, But i already have three

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

haha..

I think the op made me want some soup.

Gotta find that can opener...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Just use a knife....I learned that when I was 12.

Hell...even a multitool can open a can.

edit on 16-5-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I always wonder what people would do, even with out the most rudimentary of tools such as a can opener...

in a true SHTF scenario people will be clamoring for any kind of order... even the most oppressive one.

all for the want of a can opener.

I just recently bought a mechanical one that applies the pressure to the side so the lids can be used to press back on to the open can... pretty cool.
edit on 16-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Or get a knife to open cans and protect yourself. They work all the same. A knife is all I used to open cans last time I went camping, just stab it in the top and saw around the top where the can opener cuts the cap. Worked like a charm

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Everybody should use a swiss army knife, they have all the tools needed to survive, the original ones are created to survive everything and to sturdy
I actually even have to different in my possession. A classic one with knifes, scissor, can opener and such and a second one that has a spoon and fork on it. You can't go wrong with those.

And i don't even know anyone who hasn't a swiss army knife. Even our german army gets equipped with such one (even though it's simpler but has a small saw which is great too)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
And if you follow the suggestion of the OP and buy those extra can openers, consider keeping one tucked in your purse or glove box and asking the next homeless person you come across if they need one.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
if its a vet and homeless
give him the can too..
hell, why not show you really care and take him home and feed him

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Most of my cans have ring pulls, not all, but most, and I have five sets of bundeswher KFS sets in a can opener holder.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Dollar Store can opener. Pffffft!!! Spend $89 on a Mosin Nagant 91/30. It'll open the toughest cans and can be used to fend off the aliens/zombies/Nibiru or anything else that may want your can. After shooting the can open, the barrel can be used to heat up your soup.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Man, most of you who reply are just being smart asses. Well a army knife, well a sharp knives to the lid will work, no no most cans have a ring.

Well i have a stash of cans and most of them do not have the ring.

but I bring this up for a cheap fix, not some expensive excursion to buy a fancy 50$ swiss army knife with GPS

More or less a quick fix for mass quantities
edit on 16-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You should probably clarify for the goofballs out there that you mean a manual can opener. Some people out there may read your rant and think they are to good for the dollar store, then go to Wal-mart and buy an electric can opener.

Personally, I have no clue why people own electric can openers. Is it that hard to open a can manually?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I still have my P38 from basic training. I will never forget the day they told us .. you can have a can of food sitting in front of you and you can still starve if you dont' have one of these. Since then, I've had it on my key chain.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I have can openers, I also have a drawer full of knives and a toolbox with hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers etc- Im pretty sure if the zombie hordes had shut down the local Sainsburys I could open the tin of beans in the cupboard..........

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I still have my P38 from basic training. I will never forget the day they told us .. you can have a can of food sitting in front of you and you can still starve if you dont' have one of these. Since then, I've had it on my key chain.

That;s the logic. when SHTF in the end, currency will be gone (or the doom i dream of) and can openers have a lot of swing and influences on people. Buy a lot of choclate, coffee and other goodies, plus can opener to appease people during trading or possible a community trade. just off the cuff on my thought process

link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

I prefer leatherman tools myself. Same difference though, sturdy multitools, I always have one on my belt, and a few more in my hike sack/BOB

link   
I you are not so keen on using your well taken care of survival blade I would suggest heading to the army/navy surpluss store to pick up a dozen old army p-38 can openers. The little p-38 can openers are small enough to fit handely on your key chain or find a happy home in your bug out bag/survival storage area, they may also work well as a barter item.

here is an example web site that carrys the little giant, unfourantly they are out but you can find them just about at any outdoor store.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Just make sure you find one that is NOT made in china otherwise you'll soon starve to death when the piece of CRAP falls apart on you..

Its never a good thing to rely on Chinese JUNK products, when in bad situations...
edit on 16-5-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join