It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I believe there was an intelligence to the development of the universe. However, I think that the general populace hasn't the faintest as to that intelligence's true nature.

And really, none of us KNOWS, per se. We can only guess, at this time.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I would be curious how pagans define gods and goddesses. Monotheists tend to define God relative to the universe - in other words as the creator of the universe or as the universe itself.

How does a pagan distinguish a god from a human spirit etc?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

That would be the 3rd definition I posted up there. A being that personifies a certain aspect of the world, roughly phrased.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

That would be the 3rd definition I posted up there. A being that personifies a certain aspect of the world, roughly phrased.

Of course by that definition a living person is a god or goddess, because they supposedly have free will and control of their body. A pharaoh or emperor is even more entitled to consider himself a god.

How about defining a god to be a personification of uncertainty?
edit on 16-5-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

That sounds like the Christian god, actually. I have the perfect phrase for that:

"Is it going to rain today?"

"There's a 50% chance."

"......"

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

That sounds like the Christian god, actually. I have the perfect phrase for that:

"Is it going to rain today?"

"There's a 50% chance."

"......"

That's funny, because I was thinking recently about the temptation of Jesus in the desert. The tempter presents Jesus with various problems to solve. Jesus solves them and becomes enlightened.
The first solution "man does not live by bread alone" means man is dead without God/uncertainty/free will.
The second solution "don't put God to the test" means you can never predict God because he is uncertainty.
The third solution "worship God only" means worship God and not the predictable creations of God.

Actually "a rich creamy sauce" sounds like as good a definition as any.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

...now I want dinner. Thanks so much.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Danbones

...what does that have to do with this thread?

A lot of people will never question what they have been told god is and wants.
they should
especially the send money part

proccess of elimination
I may not be able to tell you what god is
but I'm pretty sure I can tell you whay he isn't.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

What is God?

Ahh but heres a better question... What isn't God?

Heres a good definition....

God is the indescribable, uncreated, self existent, eternal all knowing source of all reality and being.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Hello Starchild23.
You said you weren't going to be eloquent, however, I found your op to be exactly that.

I enjoyed how you stressed the point of the finite, relatively subjective, and limited scope of human perceptions, in contrast to That which is infinite.
This fact alone should humble or little Egos from the ignorance of close-minded views which we only assume are absolute. And when we assume we make as 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me.'

Words can not contain a 'thing'

However, in order for us to share ideas or discuss anything, it is necessary to [attempt] to put into words 'that' which words can not fully describe. But in doing so, we must be ever mindful that the words, definitions, rationalizations, and conceptualizations are not 'that.' When we describe or define anything, we are not describing the 'thing,' we are actually discussing the words and definitions themselves!

With this understanding, let us continue.

Although these words and conceptualizations are but a corruption, God is 'The All,' which is Nameless, Timeless, and Formless. Although words, time, space, and form exist, these are only relative and finite points of infinity.

Where do we go from here? Only you can answer that. How do we treat life and all that is around us with the knowledge that All is One?

"On the day when you were one you became two.
But when you become two, what will you do?"

- The Gosepl of Thomas

Peace.

edit on 5/17/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The word GOD means Geometry of Divinity. Godhead, Archangels, angels, four and twenty elders, the beasts with different bodies and powers. Buddhas, thousands of them. Elemental beings of fire, air, water, and Earth. Each holds a hierarchical position. Angels are beings directing God.s angles of consciousness.

On Earth and there are the unascended Masters, then there are those that have passed Earth's school room final exams. They are the Ascended Masters and they have moved on to other positions of responsibility trying to help us.

Jesus, through the ritual of the ascension became an Ascended Master.

On Earth and at etheric planes, there are those who have made the vow to assist man until all ascend. They are called Bodhisattvas.

When we manipulate nature or the nature forces we are manipulating elemental beings. Eventually, when they can no longer contain the manipulative energies they have no choice but to return that energy back on man.

I know you probably won't believe what I am telling you is the Truth, but if you pray and ask some of the fore mentioned beings, they will verify this fact. Go ahead and doubt if you want.

The Bible and other books talk openly about the Archangels and angels. Why can't we believe what was stated.

Ever been saved by and Archangel? I have, at least 3 times. Numerous other times by other angels who merely showed me an oncoming event. If we started calling on these beings they could help us out of this mess.

Our attunement determines our connection to spiritual being who want nothing but to help us.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Hi, Starchild! How are you.
I think that the ''god'' that some (well, most) religions refers to is something a lot more deep than that.
In physics, a lot of folks are searching the answer to a very big problem:
What forces all the waveforms of an event to collapse only one way? In other words, why is the Universe so coherent? What is the equation that governs ALL equations?
Physicists are looking for the answer. Religious folks call it ''God''. Maybe ''god'' could be a cool name for the equation... if ever physicists put their finger on it.
I tried to search for the Universe's inner logic for years. I considered Kabbalah, Matrix codes, hard physics, New Age.
I still don't know the answer. Maybe the answer is simply currently ungraspable, as were x-rays in Plato's time.
Peace.

edit on 17-5-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I believe there was an intelligence to the development of the universe. However, I think that the general populace hasn't the faintest as to that intelligence's true nature.

And really, none of us KNOWS, per se. We can only guess, at this time.

S&F

The general populace would be lost (or found) without vagueness. We have so many different definitions of God or Gods or Goddesses (in respects to Religions), that they eventually become personal. That is why for God today, people don't look at him as some separate, distant ruler who is taking notes and is going to judge you for your eternity, but more so as some personal father figure that is guiding their every whim. So the definition will fall short everytime, because people are using their personal experiences to justify attributes and existence, and then back it up with bible versus to show their friends.

I think the thing is that most people don't really care about all those fancy details. God is good all the time, and cannot make mistakes. So pretty much anything good that happens was because of God, and anything that bad happens is just a test, and to not be tempted by satan who God is just using to improve your faith. What matters is that this is no accident, and that I have a purpose and am worth a damn in this universe that makes no sense to me.

edit on 17-5-2012 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

God is the indescribable,

Okay...

uncreated, self existent, eternal all knowing source of all reality and being.

You just said god was indescribable. I myself have only one word that can begin to describe god: Source.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

That wasn't my quote my dear...

reluctant-messenger.com...

edit on 17-5-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If that's their brand of logic, they should upgrade.

In the future, perhaps it would be best to avoid looking to that site for answers.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Every sermon you witness today is a symptom of believing you can define an infinite concept using a finite language. In believing you know the desires of Source, in believing you know the thoughts and intentions of Source, you have asserted your understanding of an infinite concept.

This, considering the limited nature of our language, our experience, and our perspective, is utterly impossible. The fact that we often imagine "God" as a man simply proves this. To think that man is the most divine shape in the universe...that cannot be accurate. And yet we consign it to such a reverence, such an honorary position in our culture. God is not seen as a bird, nor a wolf, nor even a galaxy or a star. God is seen as a man.

This demonstrates our LACK of understanding. I won't even bother enumerating the number of personality flaws, to boot...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

If that's their brand of logic, they should upgrade.

In the future, perhaps it would be best to avoid looking to that site for answers.

Take it as you will...

I love that site... lots of great reads.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

God is the incomprehensible one, the inconceivable one, the Father, the perfect one. He is an infinite spiritual being, He is the timeless and uncreated one, the life source, the one who created the totality; and within him, is the totality, and of him, the totality is sustained.

- JC

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
I would be curious how pagans define gods and goddesses. Monotheists tend to define God relative to the universe - in other words as the creator of the universe or as the universe itself.

How does a pagan distinguish a god from a human spirit etc?

Well, Wiccan/Pagan here. My take? The Earth is alive and and that is the Goddess, and the Sun is God. Simple, huh?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join