It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq and Afghanistan veterans to return their medals to protest war on terror at Chicago NATO summit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

And them throwing it away like this, in a public show of contempt, that shows even more about their characters doesn't it? It reveals that there isn't a medal on Earth good enough for them.

And that's my type of soldier.
One that only cares about the end product, and the fancy icing put on top won't fool them.

I'll concede my point.

*applause*

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This is the nightmare of the Politicians.

When troops and soldiers return home to spit on everyone that made them fight a war that was based on lies and secrecy.

When a troop gets decorated for doing something honorable in the field- even if the war is bogus- He still deserves the good that comes along with making good decisions in bad situations. That said, after years of fighting- no matter how much good that comes out from these horrible times, political discourse still remains unsettled and without end in sight.
This; if you ask me- is the reason these troops and soldiers are doing what they are doing.
Its not that their awards mean nothing to them-cause they do.
Its just that medals dont mean as much as actually making things right- by making a statement and returning something that only hinders the advancement of any kind of resolve.

OOH RAH

edit on 16-5-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

....let there be light...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
"What Have We Been Doing?": Decorated Veteran Aaron Hughes to Return War Medals at Anti-NATO Protest

Transcript of the video is at the link posted above, as well as the longer version of the video.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
How often does it have be said?
"War is a Racket", United States Marine Corps Major General Smedley D. Butler

S & F, hope more wake up like this

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
alot of them (those who actually survived being at front lines, convoy, and dropping all those tons of Uranium)...

are suffering/dying from CANCER and other war-syndrome illnesses, comparable to agent orange on steroids.

no surprise, as even depleted uranium has a half life of 4.5 BILLION years, no?

hope their voices are heard, but remember veterans have been SHOT or killed at previous protests months ago...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
They are free to do so.

I just have one wee issue with this.

They are awarded the medals due to individual acts of bravery which illustrate character, not political ideology.

If they believe the war is wrong, then they are free to protest. But by denying their individual actsof heroism, well, it seems dichotomous to me.

Not necessarily. There are medals that are awarded to a majority of service members as a whole, not individuality. I have a medal for participating in the War on Terrorism and the War in Iraq, as does every other service member who served during those years. I suspect these are the medals they intend to return, and more.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I hope this goes off without a hitch , but i doubt it will.

Something seems .... off.

This meeting will be full of high ranked war criminals getting together to discuss some candy floss bulltish , there will be a lot of protesters , and a lot of attention from people WORLD WIDE ........ when these soldiers come marching through those crowds .... something tells me there could be a little *problem* .

Does anyone honestly think they will allow these soldiers to humiliate them infront of the whole world ? ... on the *cough* 20th of May *cough*

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

reply to post by muzzleflash

They ddn't fight for a medal. The medal just represents the character they showed in the face of danger.

What they do with it is their business.

It is symbolic, but a false symbolism because the medal doesn't represent the government. It represents their strength.

Nonsense. By returning their medals, they are saying they have no interest in 'honors' bestowed upon them by a corrupt government.

*IF* you were the soldier you claim to be, you would know this.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Is there a list of people that are giving up medals?

If this guy wants to give up "freebies" I can understand that. An ARCOM and a GWOT(SM), really?

How many actual "decorated" veterans are giving up medals that are earned in combat? Purple Hearts, Bronze Star (w/ V device), Silver Star (w/V device)?

If I had to guess I would say very few, but I may be wrong.

I am all for people having a belief and fighting for that belief. I fully support the men and women that choose to do this.

I have to ask is is all a hollow show? Are they also going to give up their GI Bill benefits? Are they going demand that their DD 214 be amended to show that the medals are not theirs anymore?

If not than this is simply another "dog and pony show". Make a real sacrifice for what you so whole heartedly embrace. Don't just give up a $7 piece of metal and silk.
edit on 16-5-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
More power to them. However, you would not catch me with that lot, or throwing my medals back for anything. It would call into question a person's individual honor and dignity, and others who served alongside. It is disrespectful to the guys and gals who where injured, maimed, and killed in those two conflicts as well.

Moreover, there are still guys and gals over in Afghanistan doing their jobs, looking out for the person next them, and performing day in and day out under less than comforting circumstances. To put it bluntly, this political statement is a slap in all their faces and no different than when peaceniks flung excrement at service people returning back from Vietnam. Just my humble opinion of course.

If we want to reassess history? Great! Lets do it when the wounds have been given time to heal, because right now; they are still fresh and this issue continues to be an emotional one for all involved. To me, this display of political grandstanding is like throwing salt in the wounds! I will not participate in any of it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Id give these soldiers a big fat man kiss on the cheek.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

They are free to do so.

I just have one wee issue with this.

They are awarded the medals due to individual acts of bravery which illustrate character, not political ideology.

If they believe the war is wrong, then they are free to protest. But by denying their individual actsof heroism, well, it seems dichotomous to me.

These soldiers see the greater message of what they are protesting. Soldier=willing to die in war. I dont know about you, but I don't need to fall for propaganda, join the army, kill people, etc., to know I'm brave.
Who are you to say they are "denying their acts of heroism?"
edit on 16-5-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Interesting how they choose to act once they have milked their salaries and the all the benefits that the military provided them with.

edit on 16-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I watched this video and after yelling at my computer I have to say a few things:

1) He says he was trained to kill, then says he was delivering supplies from Kuwait to Iraq. That means he was not a combat troop, he was a truck driver.

2) He joined the national guard in 2000 and was called up for active duty for 15 months. Is HE suffering from PTSD? Is HE on any psychotropic medications? If yes then I wish him the best as I know how much both of those things can effect ones life. If not...............I won't get into my feelings on that.

3) What exactly was he expecting when he joined the military? Other than the free college I mean.

4) We didn't make Iraq into a utopia in 15 months? Does this guy have a clue on how long it can take to make real changes? We screwed the pooch on that one really. We changed the lives of tens of thousands of people but like all politicians the people in charge of the countries are corrupt. Both countries have a long way to go in regards to freedoms and safety. I can only give my opinion on Iraq, but I know it was better when I left in 2008 than is was when I arrived in 2003.

I form my opinions based on what I know and what I have experienced. I have four deployments in Iraq ranging from 15 months to 9 months each. I have had 3 TBI's. I have been (my vehicle or myself) hit by 23 IED's and 7 VBIED's. I had to have both shoulders rebuilt, I have seven cracked vertebrae in my neck, I am partially blind in my right eye, and I have serious mental issues (go figure). I didn't suffer these things because I am a patriot, nor did I suffer them to make other men rich. I did it because someone has too.

You people who have never been there can never understand. If you had to fear every day that the people in power would kill your sons for no reason, would you want to change that? If your daughters could be raped with impunity by men in power would you want someone to help you? If you lived in a mudhut with dirt floors and your neighbors had a Rolls simply because he was part of the Baath party would you cry out for justice?

If you answered yes, then we as soldiers were justified for fighting a war in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you answered no, then you deserve it when it actually happens to you.
edit on 16-5-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I dont see this on CNN, then again, they don't show a lot of things..

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

It was the perfect way to take away freedoms. Send the army away so the DOMESTIC ENEMIES OF THE US, can take over while soldiers were away.

edit on 123131p://5America/ChicagoThu, 17 May 2012 00:00:18 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Great thread, OP. S&F

If these vets want to give their medals back, I feel it's their personal choice and it's no one's place to judge their decision.

Just the fact that they have the courage to publicly denounce these wars because they were based on lies is huge in and of itself. It is not easy to admit your own government has taken advantage of your trust and loyalty and manipulated you in the worst possible way for nefarious purposes.

This is the highest form of bravery, in my opinion. I don't care whether it's for show or not.

edit on 16-5-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

They ddn't fight for a medal. The medal just represents the character they showed in the face of danger.

What they do with it is their business.

It is symbolic, but a false symbolism because the medal doesn't represent the government. It represents their strength.

And you are correct the medal represents their character in the face of danger. Absolutely.

And them throwing it away like this, in a public show of contempt, that shows even more about their characters doesn't it? It reveals that there isn't a medal on Earth good enough for them.

Very well said Muzzleflash.

This is definitely one of those rare, perfectly constructed responses that, in a literal sense, is nothing short of having 'The Door Slammed Shut In Your Face'!

... and good on Beezzer for having the intellect and character to immediately see where his initial observation came up short. It's refreshing and encouraging to know there's still the ability to debate an issue like adults, rather than blind evangelical zealots or a bunch of petulant school children. Kudos to you both.. Sir... and Sir.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I'm sorry you have had to suffer the injuries you described. I hate to hear stories like yours because I hate to see people suffer physical and emotional pain.

But, I have to ask you about the following comment:

I did it because someone has too.

Please don't think I'm being a smart ass or that I'm trying to insult you in any way. I just don't understand the reasoning behind this statement.

Why did it have to be you? What made you believe you had to be the one to suffer through these wars? I don't understand.
edit on 17-5-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join