It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left, Right, Left, Right: Muscular Bonding and the Hive Trigger

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Blasted pessimism! I have been told time and time again that I am overly pessimistic.There are two sides to every coin. Some examples of what I think you are implying could be Solidarity Movement in Poland during the 1980's or even the Civil Rights movement in United States during the 1960's. People actually banded together and did some real good in the world instead destroying everything in their path. Very good points and thanks for the reply!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

That was a really great post.

Here's a video that illustrates beautifully the relationship between muscular bonding and group dynamics. Simulated flocking starts to look very much like the real thing, ne?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by Eidolon23

Still...this is a False Sense of Power.

No, it's a very real source of power. Why do you think drilling in formation is still practiced when we have the drones and the ordinance, and all the rest of the toys that make infantry drilling irrelevant? Because: muscular bonding is a incredibly powerful tool. From the first article cited in the OP:

There was a time when soldiers went into battle in columns and rows. They would line up and march in orderly formation toward the enemy, armed with spears or bayonets or some other weapon of close combat. The enemy would do the same thing, and one of these well-oiled formations would kill more soldiers than the other—and win the battle.

Advances in firearms long ago made the marching formation obsolete. It just doesn’t work with machine guns and IEDs. Yet armies all over the world still train for this archaic kind of warfare. Indeed, militaries continue to place high value on precision and synchrony that will never be used on a battlefield.

The United States dropped this form of self masterbational marching years ago and concentrates on obtaining bright individuals who can...using Super Advanced Tech....render such Manpower Displays moot with the touch of a button.

Masturbatorial? Yeah, I'll buy that. Still, I wonder how neglecting the need to foster group cohesion is going to work out for us in the long-term. When you reduce everything to automated units and S.O.P.s, things start to get awfully murky for your human personnel, morally speaking. And that's not good for morale. (See what I did there? Ha.)

I believe you are female...

That would explain the breasts.

if I am wrong I apologize...but if I am right...understand...I have great respect for women...and when I see one take the time to analize a specific action such as this and classify it...it worries me that she might not see Men in other positive aspects. There are TRUE MEN out there. Some of these are on my team and they are some of the best and brightest of all who live. I just wanted you to know that.
Split Infinity

Thank you, man. I'm going to tackle a lot of the substance of your post in a bit., but I need to say: I know. And I totally effing love you guys.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Eidolon23
The military applications are as old as war itself, but we are beginning to see it manifesting elsewhere.

Nothing new...

It's been used to brainwash the masses for a while now.

And fleece them, too, eh?

Yes, I know. It's nothing new. (Well, kind of. Taking the long view, it is very new indeed.)

But as long as we have this propensity, and since we're coming to understand why we function this way, why not find some new, positive uses for it?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

reply to post by neo96

reply to post by sonnny1

reply to post by SLAYER69

I thought this thread might bring the Alpha males to the yard.

What's up, guys? I dig you. I dig your courage and your enterprise. I dig your rugged individualism and I dig your swagger. I even dig the way you guys smell. So when I tell you what I'm about to tell you, please know that it comes from a friend who esteems you highly and recognizes the value of your function.

The disgust response you experience when you watch that footage (probably even the fluffy flash mob stuff)? That, my friends, is your keen sense of self-preservation kicking in. Allow me to explain.

You guys embody all the awesome qualities humanity needs to progress. I mentioned some of them above. However, you are also aggressive and selfish by nature. In fact, if you lack sufficient self-awareness and discipline, you tend to be bullies.

This gave rise to an adaptive response within an oppressed group.They worked together as a coordinated whole to bring domineering Alpha Males down. So when you see this sort of footage, on a primal level you may be anticipating a gang-stomping. It's maybe an an affective response you justify with the "Ew, sheep." reasoning.

But I'll let you in on a little secret, guys. This is not herd behavior. We are not behaving like sheep when we engage in muscular bonding. We are behaving like a vast pack of wolves. Seriously! Just as humans domesticated wolves, we in our turn were domesticated by them. We observed coordinated behavior in hunting packs, and we imitated it.

www.psychologytoday.com...

There's another study that I'm having a rough time tracking down, but that's probably the origin of muscular bonding, right there. So shake the disgust and start thinking about how we can use this as a tool for positive empowerment, yeah?

I'll go further. I like to think my birthday (3/15) is no coincidence. Sic semper tyrannis: it's in my blood. But it's time to realize that a middle way must be struck between the tyranny of the one and the tyranny of the many.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Eidolon23 because: .

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well excuse me if i don't get on my knees and roll over and play dead to someone else's beliefs.

Aggressive and bullies eh?

Matter of opinion and everyone has one,

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I think adding music makes a world of difference

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Awesome.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Here is some that muscular bonding you so eloquently espouse. Of course it happens in between courting in the shower room, trading cigarettes, and chow time.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

There is definitely something to this. While in USMC boot-camp and practicing drill...there was nothing like hearing 80 pairs of boots hitting the ground at one time....it could cause the ground to "thunder" at times. Drilling with our weapons was thrilling when we all hit our marks in unison...very emotional. It gave you an enormous sense of accomplishment for some reason and it always psyched us up and got us motivated.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Double-awesome.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

Exactly. Thank you.
This is what is reported time and time again. So now that we know what it is (mass attachment bonding), why we developed the capability for it (group cohesion), and how it is misused (ramping up aggression), why can't we begin to examine the very real, very positive ramifications?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Meanwhile in the Ukraine

Meanwhile in the US

Someone is playing ZZ top " She's got legs".

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

But its something of a positive and a negative, and so it can be used for both good and bad. And intention is what matters.

Wurd.

With effort and practice.

I couldn't agree more.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

Solid work, fantastic article.

As always.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I know, dude, right?

You should see how much that Tai Chi and flash mob footage gets to me, it implies so much potential greatness. If we learned how to harness this together, to not allow it to be exploited, my God!

There's nothing we couldn't accomplish.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Eidolon23 because: .

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Yeah, marching in heels. Wow.

I have no words.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Oh man, you and I have evidently viewed a lot of the same footage. I entirely understand and share your fears. However, what helps me out is viewing the other reels that display the gorgeous possibilities of being able to tap this constructively- let's divorce it from its military applications and see what happens.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I must digress...a TRUE ALPHA MALE...puts the good of the collective above their wellbeing. It is the False Alpha Males of which you speak of here.

This is why I posted that I was concerned about who will be my replacement. If my relacement puts their emotional state or concepts of their own personal EGO ahead of the Groups well being....then we have a problem.

I posted on your topic because I feel that you have yet to meet a True Alpha Male. What you have met and experienced are Men who want to be one but do not have BOTH the Physical and Mental atributes to be ALPHA.

I wanted you to know that to be Alpha...a Man must be mentally evolved enough to know when action is or is not justified and a Best case Scenario is when NO ONE gets HURT. I have been shot in the Chest at close rage because I made a Mistake....which will never happen again....and I should have seen it coming and this put everyone at risk. I was wearing a High Tech. Ultra Light Vest and it saved my life even though there was some balistic penetration. My First thought was...and I asked this out loud...WHERE IS MY RIFLE!? Laying on my side...I used a body part of one of my team to elliminate the SOB who shot me and the next thing was ANGER. It was ANGER that I have never experienced before or since and it thankfully kept my adrenaline pumping for a long time as I was able to do my job....then...PAIN!

My point is...if I had done my job right...this would have never happened and just because a Man is in shape or Muscular...does not make him ALPHA....what does is the respect of the team that depends on Him to get them home alive. I have NEVER BEEN A BULLY! To be one is to be a little boy...not a Man. Split Infinity

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

You are completely correct.

I am floored.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join