It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Though this is quite a long video, it's really worth watching. He touches on scripture and really provides an excellent argument against bigotry directed to same sex couples from certain Christians who take a more literal or traditional view of the Bible.

If you don't want to wait an hour, a transcript of the video can be found here.

ithin this framework, gay people have a problem, and that is that they want to have sex with the wrong people. They tend to be viewed as essentially lustful, sexual beings. So while straight people fall in love, get married, and start families, gay people just have sex. But everyone has a sexual orientation – and it isn’t just about sex. Straight people are never really forced to think about their sexual orientation as a distinctive characteristic, but it’s still a part of them, and it affects an enormous amount of their lives. What sexual orientation is for straight people is their capacity for romantic love and self-giving. It’s not just about sexual attraction and behavior. It’s because we have a sexual orientation that we’re able to fall in love with someone, to build a long-term, committed relationship with them, and to form a family. Family is not about sex, but for so many of us, it still depends upon having a companion, a spouse. And that’s true for gay people as well as for straight people. That is what sexual orientation means for them, too. Gay people have the very same capacity for romantic love and self-giving that straight people do. The emotional bond that gay couples share, the quality of love, is identical to that of straight couples. Gay people, like almost all of us, come from families, and they, too, long to build one of their own.

I highly recommend you actually watch the video or read the transcript before commenting -- or save the video if you don't have the time. I applaud him for defending the rights of homosexuals, and it's nice to see a video that doesn't attack Christians, but informs them.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

An hour long....??!?!?!?!

You gotta be kidding....

Here try this instead...

Educate yourselves

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
No matter what you do, you'll never change the wording of the Bible, and in many places, it states the practice as wrong (and in other places, it says homosexuals should be slain! (Leviticus, specifically)).

Of course, what do you expect from a book that is an amalgamation of books all written and translated centuries and centuries ago?

To try and take the book literally is pretty absurd.

Instead, I'd offer up the golden rule, the foundation of most religions. Treat others as you would like to be treated....

Simple as that.

Equal rights? Sure. Special rights? No.

I really struggle with why we make this more complicated than it is.
Of course, in a decade or so, it really won't be an issue anymore anyhow...and that generation will look back at us as we do to our ancestors who owned slaves...and wonder how in the world society could live that way.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I am not against Gay people, and have many friends in the gay community that being said as far as the Bible goes being Gay is against the bible and god...i dont get these topics this is old news that everybody already knows.....bringing these topics up over and over again when we already know the awnser just makes people more dumb. That being said God created man in his own image so whats that mean for gay people? good question I know

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GARN40ish
I am not against Gay people, and have many friends in the gay community that being said as far as the Bible goes being Gay is against the bible and god...i dont get these topics this is old news that everybody already knows.....bringing these topics up over and over again when we already know the awnser just makes people more dumb. That being said God created man in his own image so whats that mean for gay people? good question I know

*sigh*

Someone didn't watch the video.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
You can't rationalize Sodomy with "The love is the same love as a straight person" to make it right. Perversion is perversion no matter how you try to justify it, it is still wrong. God loves a Sodomite but, still requires them to repent and turn from their sin. God made a way for all mankind to be forgiven and its a matter of recognizing your sin, repenting, & accepting Christ as your lord and savior. putting your sexual organ in a place that is made for removing waste from the body is a perversion. Same with female sodomites using foreign objects or appendages not made for reproduction in the sex organ is a perversion. Using the Love that God made for the opposite sex for the same sex is a perversion. God strictly prohibits this in the Bible and all those that do this are in rebellion and in need of repentance. Let me emphasize this though, God loves sodomites just as much as anyone else and desires them to come to the knowledge of Christ and the Kingdom but, sin and those that practice such without conscience have no place in God or his Kingdom. God's arms are always open and as for me I love them with the love of God and desire fervently that they know him and obtain eternal life.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

That's your opinion. Just don't use it as justification for making other people who don't live the same way you do feel like pieces of s**t.

Because that's where you're prideful, and that sends you to hell too.

edit on CWednesdaypm252503f03America/Chicago16 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

That's your opinion. Just don't use it as justification for making other people who don't live the same way you do feel like pieces of s**t.

Because that's where you're prideful, and that sends you to hell too.

edit on CWednesdaypm252503f03America/Chicago16 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

It is not MY opinion. This is God's word straight from the Bible. Those accusations you made against me might as well be making them against God. They should feel bad for their wrong doing, that's what happens when you are corrected. You're offense is thinking that me by simply relaying God's word to a sinner makes me prideful. my humility is serving the lord with all my heart and obeying his commandments. One of his commandments is to be salt and light to this world reproving sin and preaching repentance. Do you not believe in the God of the bible?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

You're using the oldest trick in the book: attributing a thought to someone you perceive as a higher power than yourself in order to give the thought some credence.
- Abraham Lincoln

Making fun of anything I say amounts to making fun of the great da Vinci himself.
- Albert Einstein

By the way, you're an idiot.
- Leonhard Euler

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadeusz

I see what you did there.

...and I loved every second of it.

edit on CWednesdaypm303021f21America/Chicago16 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Apparently, it would kill you to have an original thought.

God forbid you have an aneurism from sheer originality.

Oh, and to answer your question:

I believe in God too. I just don't believe he's the bloodthirsty ***hole you make him out to be.

The fact that you are so willing to believe in, or bow to, such a being, let alone condemn others for not doing likewise...says so much about you...
edit on CWednesdaypm060624f24America/Chicago16 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Thank you for the laugh, I needed that to my morning.

Once again, you clearly didn't watch the video, which is understandable, but you could have at least skimmed through the transcript.
You're clinging to your beliefs and not even partaking in the thread in a productive way. It's kind of important to analyze the subject matter and what the speaker says in order to stay on topic. You're just spreading your drivel and using the same baseless argument.

Best of luck to you, God bless.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skepticesque

Thank you for the laugh, I needed that to my morning.

Once again, you clearly didn't watch the video, which is understandable, but you could have at least skimmed through the transcript.
You're clinging to your beliefs and not even partaking in the thread in a productive way. It's kind of important to analyze the subject matter and what the speaker says in order to stay on topic. You're just spreading your drivel and using the same baseless argument.

Best of luck to you, God bless.

No I didn't watch the hour long video. I read the snippet you posted here in this discussion. i skimmed through the entire transcript and from what i gather he is making the assumption that people are born gay and have to live with it. Never in the bible does it say that anyone was born that way. So his assumption is baseless. This guy is 21 years old and clearly doesn't have a grasp on the bible yet so i will promptly discredit this based on immaturity and experience. I have already found a multitude of errant misinterpretations of scripture and can completely pick this guy apart. it is basically a pity party because he wants to live a perverted lifestyle and can't. God loves him and wants him to live life the right way not his own way. I will boldly hold onto the truth till death no compromising.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Apparently, it would kill you to have an original thought.

God forbid you have an aneurism from sheer originality.

Oh, and to answer your question:

I believe in God too. I just don't believe he's the bloodthirsty ***hole you make him out to be.

The fact that you are so willing to believe in, or bow to, such a being, let alone condemn others for not doing likewise...says so much about you...
edit on CWednesdaypm060624f24America/Chicago16 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

I haven't condemned anyone. My thoughts are based on the word of God and his truth, the only truth. God is not bloodthirsty, he is just. And those that go to hell go by their own free will. God said life and death have i laid before you, choose you this day what it will be, he says "choose life that you may live" those that choose to follow the path of sin choose death, those that choose to repent (turn from sin) and accept christ choose life.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

God is not bloodthirsty, he is just.

Someone didn't read the Old Testament.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

It's clear you don't do your research.

In Stephen King's The Mist, from which I took that quote, there was an old woman who, in seeing her town become plagued by monsters, decide to form a church by the people stuck in the grocery store with her. Every single action she made, was determined by a quote from the Bible.

Oddly enough, she started demanding sacrifices and blaming innocent people for the destruction. And quoted the Bible all the while.

And you say your god isn't bloodthirsty. Do you even know what a god is?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hypothetically, if the bible were in fact the "word of god", then, as Gazrok pointed out, you'll never change its wording. And you will never change how god, or christians feel about same-sex relationships or marriage. So why try? Why would you want to be a part of something, or someone that doesn't want you? You are excluded. Period.
For the fundamentalist, and the literalist, accepting homosexuality is akin to condoning sin, and being a part of it.

If the bible is not the "word of god", then why pay it any mind? You don't need their permission to be what you are. You only need a legal way to be granted the same rights and privileges a hetero married couple has. And that is what gays need to focus on. Forget the church, and the christian god. You are acceptable by neither, and you aren't going to change their minds.

Of course, in a decade or so, it really won't be an issue anymore anyhow...and that generation will look back at us as we do to our ancestors who owned slaves...and wonder how in the world society could live that way.

I so hope you are right about this Gazrok. But I'm afraid a decade or so won't do it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Nothing ever gets accomplished in this argument, as people are so strongly invested in their beliefs nobody will admit that the other side could be wrong.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

I read the transcript
still the same point stands....so what exactly are you getting at

top topics

join