It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Austerity, What could it look like?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by frazzle

Okay, well I'm with you on that as one of our solutions. Yes, ending the Fed would be a good start, but we still can't afford to go right back to a huge defense budget, never-ending social programs, and ever-expanding government. Ending the Fed won't solve half our problems. Not that we shouldn't do it, but it's not the end-all be-all of solutions.
edit on 17-5-2012 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

I'm not suggesting "ending the fed" as an act of congress, but more of a starvation of the fed by the people, themselves. And you're right that it wouldn't be a be all end all situation, more like a good start. There have been several pushes to get people to pull their money out of the too big to fail banks and put it in credit unions or small community banks. No one really knows how much effect that's had but it was a good start, too.

They keep telling us that we have free trade, but in order to do trade we are limited to using monopoly money controlled by a private cartel of bankers. That's fundamental to our problems and trying to start correcting the budget with other quick fixes, well, we'd be dependent on that cartel's money to overthrow that cartel. See the problem?

Ron Paul's idea of introducing competing currencies to allow trade to actually BE free is more like what we need think about. What's more, there are about a dozen states already contemplating issuing their own currencies. money.cnn.com...

Obviously there's a lot more to consider, but it should be talked about and I'm glad we're talking about it.

ETA: About national security ~ someone said it best the other day, we don't have a defense department, we have an offense department, creating hostility everywhere they go. Maybe the joint chiefs should be stripped to their skivvies to see how tough they really are.

edit on 17-5-2012 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

The new Chinese banks will buy out Fannie and Freddie, the Chinese will call in the mortgages and own most of America, race riots and death, then concentration camps with armed Chinese gaurds, and our "leaders" will be in Greece with really cheap mansions enjoying the sunshine.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

beezer,
i ask you for compasion for those that have no hand in the creation of the mess we find ourselves in,
you know the one the childeren did not create,

you use political ideaology as an excuse to be hartless towards childern who are innocent of wrong doing.

i find that inhumane

xploder

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

If austerity ever happened in the US. The country would collapse.
I know most people here like the nonsense Austrian "economics" but the reason the country isnt in a recession and the economy hasnt collapsed is because of high levels of government spending.
If the government cut back on spending, we will all be in trouble.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgi

All the government would have to do is not put out welfare and SS checks on June 1st. What woud happen? I live north of Chicago in WI. I pray they don't have a false-flag and blow up a nuclear device. They already have told the Milwaukee Red Cross to plan for an evacuation of Chicago. I work at the state mental health center, I know what these people who will be "evacuated" are like, they are our main clients. It will be ugly. I realize what every other major metropolitan center would look like.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reparations to black americans

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I can tell you what American austerity won't look like.

It won't look like politicians missing pay checks or losing out on benefits.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by Golf66

the childeren did not write the laws,
they did not spend the money
to "not care" what happens to them because of failed policies,
is cold and heartless

dont be a heartless person, childeren should not suffer for political ideology

NEVER

xploder

Get out your checkbook and help this guy's children out...because when people like this drain the treasury perhaps you'll still be willing to "help the children".

A Tennessee man's problems paying child support aren't so surprising: He has 30 children with 11 different women.

Desmond Hatchett, 33, of Knoxville, is pleading with the state to help him pay for child support, citing the fact that he earns minimum wage. Hatchett made national news in 2009, when his tally stood at 21 children.

“I had four kids in the same year," he said. "Twice.”

The mothers of his children are supposed to get anywhere from $25 a month to $309 a month for help raising the children. The state takes half of Hatchett's paycheck to divide among the mothers of his children, but now Hatchett has petitioned the state to help him meet his obligations.

The children range in age from toddlers to 14 years old.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

This is what I am talking about - a man who can't manage to maintain a job that pays more than minimum wage has "fathered" ( a use the term "father" in a biological terms there only) 30 children who in all likelihood will grow up to be just like him.

Why, because while the government has probably gladly been forking over checks to help each one of these women who have on average 2.72 children from a father who can't even support himself.

I mean we can't restrict a person’s right to reproduction right? This is insanity. This guy should be in jail for 30 counts of using assault on the lives of his children. He has in effect sentenced 30 kids to a cycle of dependency and poverty. Castrate this asshole in the square.

Or like the married couple who have a combined IQ of just above the local flora who live in the assisted living home up the way from us who have not one but two "children" because no one can take away their right to reproduce.

The taxpayers pay for their "assisted living situation" all their medical care and will pay for the medical care of their genetically doomed children (and incidentally their assisted living situation as well) for the rest of their lives. One kid always has some kind of tube in his face and the other has downs. Yay, compassion - I'd love to shell out some more money for this kind of crap for the rest of my life.

Sure, should we help the helpless - I say yes. However, with the help should come restrictions. Want money for kids - take the shot or the pill or the tubal ligation as the case may be. Want the state to support your mentally retarded kids - sure, have them sterilized at puberty. No compliance – no checks.

Our compassion will be our ultimate doom.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I dont mind that the government 'helps" people who need it but why does the government feel the need to give free cell phones to people on welfare?
Temporarily helping people with the basic necessities to survive is one thing but providing them with a lifetime income and housing as well as free cell phones is just insane and a complete waste of taxpayers money.

The government needs to make massive cuts in social programs, stop subsidies to companies making record profits and start massive tax increases.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
austerity might not mean living in a cardboard box...but resource limitations might mean that those other than the elites will have to improvise their shelters...

here's a page that shows recycling PET bottles and other stuff like CD cases for utilitarian ends:
www.stumbleupon.com...:1rqZgjSwl:gSM5dz6b/www.recyclebank.com/live-green/houses-that-pet-plastic-built/

then there's the long time favorite, buildings using the Earth itself...

www.recyclebank.com...

nice pics of the object homes, note where these dwellings are being built...in the EU area & in economies unlike the PIGS nations that are on the brink of default

whereas the recycled materials genre is in the second world mostly...
but with the American Austerity coming to a soon-to-be-extinct middle class... we 'have-nots' '99%ers' might just have to be building our own thrifty homes among the tent cities popping up

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join