It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacon, Eggs and Toast..

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by Freeborn

Traditional bacon & eggs is a quintessential American experience. In other countries, unless they are specifically catering to American tastes, you won’t find this on the menu

Sorry my friend, but bacon and eggs is as British as anything can be and can be found in all decent and good greasy spoon cafe's throughout the whole of the United Kingdom.
And it's REAL bacon.

Not in my experience. It may be called that, but it's not the same breakfast. usually there are tomatoes and the "bacon" is usually of the Canadian bacon variety, i.e.: thin slabs of pork. When it is the American variety, it is soggy and squishy, never crisp and the eggs are usually scrambled. It is what it is and I accept that, and I've also had some mighty good meals at the "Nag's Head," but I've never found a traditional recognizable bacon & eggs breakfast in England.

Really? that's weird!

As Freeborn said, Bacon and eggs is about as British as you can get! and is served up almost everywhere. and in most places comes with tomatoes and black pudding (blood pudding as nixie called it) Our Bacon is the best too! non of that streaky rubbish that is see through
but it's also not so thick that you could call it a thin slab of pork!

Gah I Love British food! so simple but so satisfying! .... Nothing like a Sunday Roast with Yorkshire puddings smothered in Beef Gravy!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Actually, you are right.
As much as southeners love to pride themselves on their fried chicken abilities, it was brought here by the Scots.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'll take some fried chicken no matter who cooks it!
YUMMMMMMM

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

O M G WANT. From breakfast to mini lobster! GIDDYUP!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

T-bone? That's the best cut of beef. The texture and flavor is unparallelled.

Nuh uh.

Rib eye.

Aged 80 days.

2 inches thick.

Slow cooked.

=

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by intrepid

T-bone? That's the best cut of beef. The texture and flavor is unparallelled.

Nuh uh.

Rib eye.

Aged 80 days.

2 inches thick.

Slow cooked.

=

Hmm... I will try both and give you a definitive answer tomorra. But Chadwickus's does have a little attention paid to it. Prolly make me punch someone for not giving me that earlier in my life : /

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Oh yeah....that is exactly what crawfish are like.....spicy little mini lobsters!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Easy no mess way to make poached eggs.

1: line a cup with gladwrap, shake spray with cooking oil or wipe the gladwrap across the butter or margarine container.

2: sprinkle salt, pepper, parsley if you like.

3: break the egg and tie the gladwrap in a knot
place in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, depend how soft or hard you want you egg.

4: Once cooked cut the top knot off and it should slip nicely onto your toast.

yes i took pics of the lunch i made to show my daughter how to make them, when she was away .

the 1st pic isn't mine, i had to search that on the net. but the cooked egg and mushroom is

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I beg your pudding. The Scots don't eat deep-fried mars bars. Well maybe one or two people have. But mostly it's a big huge nasty lie. Deep fried mars bars and "Stonners" (whatever the hell they are) were all invented by foreign take-away shops on quiet boring nights when there's not many customers and the vicious rumours are perpetuated by the likes of The Sun and the Star.

Foreigners invented deep fried mars bars.

I repeat. SCOTS DO NOT EAT DEEP FRIED MARS BARS. Foreign take-away shops make them through boredom, for their fat selves and the occasional junkie who will eat absolutely anything if it's handed to him for free.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I guess you missed this part of my post

But I'm convinced that they do this more to wind people up and to play up to an image that isn't really representative, but who knows?

where I was inferring that in reality not many Scots do eat such delicacies and that it's more of some sort of PR exercise, national wind up or piss take.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Haha , I think you just made my tastebuds go sproing. I've cooked for a few years off and on and that sounds yummy. Here is an oddball entree dredge a chicken breast in flour, fry in drawn butter make a blueberry cream sauce with the pan, strawberry celantro salsa as a garnish... Larousse Gastronomique is an invaluable cookbook. Happy cooking

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

That's brilliant !! I love you spacegirl lol

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yup Ribeye for sure, hands down. Should try one dredged in a good blackening spice and then seared to finish in drawn butter on a cast iron pan, probably medium heat. Might be bad for the pancreas, I just dont care they taste so good

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

Oh, that sounds great! You really should try that recipe for the garlic/cheese grits casserole.....it is fabulous!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

those hole in the wall greasy spoon places always have the best food..they do it right at those places

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

Well I hope you get the chance to visit (btw, I have always wanted to visit England and Scotland, just places I have always felt drawn to.....beautiful countries)
I think everyplace has their "freaky foods"
There was something I saw once called Hagis (spelling?).....I think it was a Scottish dish, correct me if I'm wrong. It looked horrible
But many times, those are the very things which are the best once you try them. Just like here in New Orleans, we love our crawfish. It would repulse a lot of people, but they are soooo good! (see below)
They are spicy, but it is a very unique blend of seasoning.....and we throw in corn, sausage, mushrooms (anything really). It's one of those things you can't describe, it just has to be tried!
we have a place called joe's crab shack here in south florida that does a boil similar to this..it's so damn good..i never had crawfish, but i would eat a hundred of'em..i know i would

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Green peppers...nonsense!.
Get yourself a full English brekkie down you.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I love it when my wife makes breafast for supper! I also like hamburger gravy poued over toast, or as it is known here: Sh^t on a shingle.

@Alkesh:
Mmm Love them mud bugs! Joes Crab Shack is good good good.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup cornstarch (or plain flour)
mix in saucepan and slowly add 4 cups milk while stirring
cook under medium heat until it thickens to your liking
toss in a tab o' butter

bust up some biscuits and pour over them.

chocolate gravy n biscuits have been my fav breakfast food since I can remember

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join