It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacon, Eggs and Toast..

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Okay here's the deal

Ill cook the sausages ( outdoors ) and you can do the indoor cooking, that way its a win win situation for all.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Is this the kind of 6 pack attack you are talking about?

www.amazon.com...

LOL

cant stop laughing, but i need to ask, are these street legal or can i be considered as "armed and dangerous"

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

no the grits are as advertised..it's a nasty ,gritty, mushy concoction...it's like oatmeal with dirt in it. i hate it...the Sunday roast dinner however looks delicious..love me some brown gravy...i call spaghetti sauce gravy too...guess it all depends on where your from...the biscuit/cookie thing gets me every time...i always wondered why englanders said "tea and a biscuit"...i thought it was gross to have tea and what i thought was an american biscuit... didn't find out what a "english" biscuit was until one day i had tea and a proper biscuit at a restaurant..very tasty...i have tea and a biscuit on an almost daily bases now...love me some earl gray

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

no the grits are as advertised..it's a nasty ,gritty, mushy concoction...it's like oatmeal with dirt in it. i hate it

Sounds disgusting....but I'll try it if I ever get to visit the USA.

...the Sunday roast dinner however looks delicious..love me some brown gravy

It is delicious, especially real, home cooked Sunday dinners and traditional gravy.

Many people go to pubs for their Sunday dinners nowadays and whilst some are as tasty etc as the homemade dinners many are pre-prepared and in bulk, use frozen vegetables etc and then refrozen etc.
They are bland and tasteless and to be avoided at all costs.

guess it all depends on where your from

Too true.
And what a boring world it would be if everything was the same no matter where we went.

i have tea and a biscuit on an almost daily bases now...love me some earl gray

I drink quite a bit of tea but have to ration my biscuits.....I have quite an addictive personality and most biscuits are very fattening.

To be honest I'm not a great lover of Earl Grey.....my personal favourite brands of tea are Ringtons which was is a regional company that has become quite successful nationally and Yorkshire Tea which I believe is available in the USA.

Tea must be drank, (drunk?), piping hot.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.yorkshiretea.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...
www.ringtons.co.uk...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

yes of coarse i realize this,i've raised hens! i just don't eat eggs period.
don't like the taste at all!
strangeley enough,i do enjoy the smell when they are cooking!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Traditional bacon & eggs is a quintessential American experience. In other countries, unless they are specifically catering to American tastes, you won’t find this on the menu

Sorry my friend, but bacon and eggs is as British as anything can be and can be found in all decent and good greasy spoon cafe's throughout the whole of the United Kingdom.
And it's REAL bacon.

Not in my experience. It may be called that, but it's not the same breakfast. usually there are tomatoes and the "bacon" is usually of the Canadian bacon variety, i.e.: thin slabs of pork. When it is the American variety, it is soggy and squishy, never crisp and the eggs are usually scrambled. It is what it is and I accept that, and I've also had some mighty good meals at the "Nag's Head," but I've never found a traditional recognizable bacon & eggs breakfast in England.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

There is a hole in the wall greasy spoon somewhere in DC that only has 2 seats, but reported to have the best breakfasts you could ever want.

We have a little local place owned by a guy for like 40 years. still has slow service, its so nice. but creamed chipped beef aka (censored on a shingle)you could ever want.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

No, biscuits and gravy are not much to look at, but oh soo good.

But then the brits have blood pudding, and they insist it is good, lol.

good food doesnt mean pretty

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Nothing like having actual cooks make it.
Cracker Barrel. That there is a restaurant renowned in my family as a great place for breakfast of all types.
Too bad the place isn't offered everywhere... it should be. Or the recipes, at least.
edit on 18-5-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
So any southeners here do scrapple?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Here ya go mate! (hilariously ridiculous attempt at a British accent by a American Southern girl)

If someone tries to serve you PLAIN grits.....RUN. You will hate it They taste like nothing (literally). As for what it is, it is merely ground up corn. It's what you ADD to it that makes it delicious. Being from New Orleans, I know good cooking, and THIS is how you do grits.... www.justapinch.com...

Now don't be put off by the garlic....it works....and you must use extra sharp cheddar cheese. I make sure the cheese on top is very toasted. What you get is a crunch crust, with a wonderful creamy cheesy filling. It is sooooo good! Like I said, with grits, it is what you add. Some people add crumbled up crisp bacon to the cheese topping as well. If you can find grits on your side of the pond, try this recipe (you could probably buy a bag online) I promise you'll love it....

StealthyKat

It looks better than this when I make it though hee hee.....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Nixie....I have never tried scrapple. Only because I don't know what some people call "parts" LOL! If I SAW it made and it was just regular meat, I would. I have just heard that there are some unsavory bits in it. Is that true?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Now that looks and sounds a lot better.
I like garlic and use it a lot when I'm cooking, I also like strong, mature cheddar - Cathedral Mature is simply the the dogs doo-dah's

www.cathedralcity.co.uk...

New Orleans is on my list of places to visit, if I ever get over there I'll let you make me some,

I must say scrapple sounds disgusting....but to be fair there are plenty of foodstuffs enjoyed in various parts of the UK that sound revolting, and to be honest some of them are!

And I suspect my British accent may be like nothing you would expect it to be.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Apparently it comes from the pennsylvania dutch and the amish, but i never heard of it till i moved south of the mason dixon.

yes it is parts, lol. the liver, the head, and anything leftover from butchering. Then it is mixed with cornmeal.

it is sliced and served as breakfast or as a sandwhich.

i had it once, it has a very soft consistency. it was good. but obviously not the healthiest thing.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Well I hope you get the chance to visit (btw, I have always wanted to visit England and Scotland, just places I have always felt drawn to.....beautiful countries)
I think everyplace has their "freaky foods"
There was something I saw once called Hagis (spelling?).....I think it was a Scottish dish, correct me if I'm wrong. It looked horrible
But many times, those are the very things which are the best once you try them. Just like here in New Orleans, we love our crawfish. It would repulse a lot of people, but they are soooo good! (see below)
They are spicy, but it is a very unique blend of seasoning.....and we throw in corn, sausage, mushrooms (anything really). It's one of those things you can't describe, it just has to be tried!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I don't think I could get that down:.... I can usually try anything, but when it comes to organs and all that I just can't go there

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

You'd love England, there is so much variety in what is a relatively small place.

And Scotland is a great place, I go there myself quite often as I have some really good friends up there.

Haggis is very nice.....though I know many people are disgusted by it, including many Scots.
It is offal minced with onion, oatmeal, suet etc which is traditionally wrapped in a stomach and then boiled.
en.wikipedia.org...

Another Scottish food that I particularly like is Lorne, or Square, sausage.
en.wikipedia.org...

However, I've never tried that infamous Scottish delicay, deep-fried Mars bars.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Scots will deep-fry anything
www.thesun.co.uk...

But I'm convinced that they do this more to wind people up and to play up to an image that isn't really representative, but who knows?

I would love to try crawfish and sample some genuine Creole cuisine.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Fried foods are big here too. Nothing like a good southern Sunday dinner....my fav is
Fried chicken, homemade mashed potatoes, and fresh corn....with watermelon for dessert!
Man....I think I will start gaining weight just from this thread!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

hey, is that Yogurt is see on the side, if so, i have never ever had chicken with yogurt, kinda sounds fun, ill give it a try.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

No, It's sour cream mashed potatoes....but yogurt sounds good too!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join