It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police assessing the potential of drone aircraft for surveillance (Au)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Police assessing the potential of drone aircraft for surveillance (Au)

www.her aldsun.com.au

In April the Victoria Police air wing hosted an international conference on the potential use of drones and a police spokeswoman has confirmed the technology is being closely watched, Fairfax Media reports.

Civil libertarians have expressed concerns the technology could be used to spy on people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Armed drones now flying over the US

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
So it seems the use of the spy drone is moving from military to civilian surveillance now and in the coming years...

What next armed drones ready to take out vehicles during car chases? Thermal and IR vision?

It does kind of surprise me, sometimes you see things coming and sometimes you don't...

Next in line will be remote robotic land based systems... Asimov saw it coming over 50 years ago!!

www.her aldsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 16-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Drones and surveillance seem to be the trend now days…..

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Keeps them safe and puts us in harms way without the guilt of directly hurting civilians or putting them in danger... if something goes wrong they can just blame the robot...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
i read somewhere that the USA was planning (or may have passed) the use of drones over USA air space and that they are planning to have some 30,000 in service in the next ten years.

www.infowars.com...

Will they be only used to catch car chasers and such, yes, but if they fly past a man spitting his gum out on the path and walking on will that catch him for that too? Probably, just not at the time, if you combine footage with face recognition technology you can catch upto just about any crime no matter how tiny..

edit on 16-5-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I have this ominous feeling... "1984"?? It's creeping slowly...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Why can't this be the straw that breaks the camels back?

When will the frogs catch on and start jumping out of the pan? This is complete BS. The implementation of drones will have zero effect on crime in the streets in the end (IMO) anyway. They will only use them to control the general population. Remember when Bill Clinton 'bought' 100,000 police officers for the US? Crime rates dropped dramatically, right? No, we just got used to seeing more uniformed thugs harassing us on the streets(collecting money for the govt).

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by Biigs

I have this ominous feeling... "1984"?? It's creeping slowly...

Dude, the 'creeping' is getting faster and faster, with the advent of better technologies.
The creep will be a full out run before we know it.
edit on 16-5-2012 by butcherguy because: spelling

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
i read somewhere that the USA was planning (or may have passed) the use of drones over USA air space and that they are planning to have some 30,000 in service in the next ten years.

www.infowars.com...

Will they be only used to catch car chasers and such, yes, but if they fly past a man spitting his gum out on the path and walking on will that catch him for that too? Probably, just not at the time, if you combine footage with face recognition technology you can catch upto just about any crime no matter how tiny..

edit on 16-5-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Yes.
Here is a thread about one that was videotaped in Elgin, Illinois at a ball game. appears to have a weapons pod on it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Crazy stuff,

I said in a thread earlier today that as long as I didn't see them in my backyard I'm happy.

Guess I'm not going to be happy then.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The good news is they look very easy to shoot down.

How high do these things fly?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

lol although in Australia they are one up again... even BB or Airsoft guns are banned here

We have no hope and if we ever get invaded.... geez! Totally screwed!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

If I saw one in my backyard I would do whatever it takes confiscate it!!! Trespassing yes! Free drone new toy.. Hell yes! lol

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
The good news is they look very easy to shoot down.

How high do these things fly?
They can operate at 30,000 feet, from what I saw in the other thread.
Not so easy to take out.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Given our land is owned by the crown anyway they'll just bash your door down and come and get it.

I give it six months.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Oh I welcome a republic!!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
those drones wont last very long where i live if there low enough to be shot down

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I know that the Qld Police have purchased unmanned drones, to be used to detect drugs, human traces and criminals.

On another note: Don't you just love it that no one cares about Australia on this site. You have most of the Americans going spastic over drones over there, yet they don't care that this is happening internationally.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

lol yeah but it is an american site... although in saying that alot of the traffic comes from Australia. It all comes down to timing of a thread I think.

oh and ours don't have "missiles"... yet

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by daaskapital

lol yeah but it is an american site... although in saying that alot of the traffic comes from Australia. It all comes down to timing of a thread I think.

I guess lol. most Australian threads are ignored no matter what time
so most times when i do a thread about Australia, i leave Aus out of the title
Just a test i done, and it works!

oh and ours don't have "missiles"... yet

Which is lucky! Did you know that the USA is going to build a Drone base in Australia? Australia (as always) agreed to the USA demand.

<<   2 >>

join