It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MoveOn: DNC Pulling Out of Wisconsin Recall ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
MoveOn: DNC Pulling Out of Wisconsin Recall
Breitbart Story by Mike Flynn

There seems to be some conflicting reports going around about the DNC (Democratic National Committee) not wanting to support (or at least not enough) the Democrat efforts to recall Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker.

from Breitbart:

Bad economic data aside, 2012 may just shape up to be the best year ever for conservatives. Since last week, I have reported that the Wisconsin Recall election is moving firmly in Scott Walker's direction. Big Labor's preferred candidate, Kathleen Falk, was trounced in last week's Democrat primary. Scott Walker, who Big Labor assured us was universally despised, got almost as many votes as all the Democrats combined. This afternoon, we learn that the DNC has wisely decided not to waste a dime on the recall.

The news came from a panicked email from MoveOn.org:

BREAKING NEWS FROM WISCONSIN: The Democratic National Committee isn't investing in the massive get out the vote effort in Wisconsin to recall Scott Walker.

Wisconsin is ground zero for Democrats this summer—and there are only three weeks before Election Day—which is why this breaking news just doesn't make sense.

I hope the national GOP and the Romney campaign absorb this lesson. The left, through their mouthpieces in the media can talk a big game, but at the end of the day there is just no there, there.

from signon.org:

To be delivered to: Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Chairperson, Democratic National Committee
Democratic National Committee & Debbie Wasserman Schultz, invest now in the crucial fight to remove Scott Walker from office in Wisconsin--the people have worked hard and it's time to help.

As a Wisconsin progressive working day and night to recall Scott Walker, I'm shocked: The DNC still isn't giving financial support to the recall fight in Wisconsin. After more than a year of grassroots efforts, Wisconsin citizens have accomplished more than anyone thought possible. We now have a Democratic challenger to Scott Walker who is neck and neck in the polls, even though Tom Barrett is being outspent by Walker's millions from out-of-state donations. There is no more time for the Democratic National Committee to wait--if Walker wins, it would be a huge setback to Democrats in races across the country this year. We need the DNC's support immediately!

Democratic National Committee: Invest In The Scott Walker Recall Now!

from HuffPost May 15:

WASHINGTON -- The Democratic National Committee is increasing its involvement in the push to recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), promising grassroots assistance and a fundraiser hosted by the chair.

DNC Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) called Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett (D) on Tuesday, pledging her full support of his gubernatorial campaign, according to DNC spokeswoman Melanie Roussell.

Wasserman Schultz will host a fundraiser for Barrett in Wisconsin later this month; the exact date has not been set.

Scott Walker Recall: DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz To Host Fundraiser For Tom Barrett

from Moveon.org May 15:

Dear MoveOn member,

As a Wisconsin progressive working day and night for the recall of Scott Walker, I'm shocked: The Democratic National Committee still isn't giving financial support to the recall fight in Wisconsin.

After more than a year of grassroots efforts, Wisconsin citizens have accomplished more than anyone thought possible. We now have a Democratic challenger to Scott Walker who is neck and neck in the polls, even though Tom Barrett is being outspent by Walker's millions from out-of-state donations.

There is no more time for the Democratic National Committee to wait—if Walker wins, it would be a huge setback to Democrats in races across the country this year. We need the DNC's support immediately! ...............

DNC sitting out the Walker recall?

Related Washington Post Article May 14:

Top Wisconsin Democrats are furious with the national party — and the Democratic National Committee in particular — for refusing their request for a major investment in the battle to recall Scott Walker, I’m told.

The failure to put up the money Wisconsin Dems need to execute their recall plan comes at a time when the national Republican Party is sinking big money into defending Walker, raising fears that the DNC’s reluctance could help tip the race his way.

EXCLUSIVE: Wisconsin Dems furious with DNC for refusing to invest big money in Walker recall

Are the Democrats "unsure" of the Democrat candidate ??

edit on May-16-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Perhaps the DNC suddenly got a case of intelligence to overcome their political agenda. Someone at the national level might finally have realized that if they take this to the limit and really get a sitting Governor kicked out of office for perfectly legal duties they just don't agree with.....THEY will see THEIR OWN Governors start going down next.

Finally get a Dem Gov in Texas? Get a good one in Missouri? Wyoming? Utah? Well... Yeah.. Teach the nation by example on Scott Walker. Show us all how to remove Democrat Gov's we literally just don't like or agree with. Hmm... I can certainly see where they may have really started having second thoughts here.

The sheer level of the fight and investments being required tell me this is anything BUT a majority feeling in Wisconsin or it wouldn't be half the battle to accomplish. California sure wasn't THAT hard when it came down to it because the state generally agreed on ONE thing. The current one had to go! It was the replacement they fought over in that recall. Walker seems a whole different matter and good if they're having a moment of pause about HOW FAR to force this aspect of our system.....when it's not the majority desire by ANY stretch.
edit on 16-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'd love to see Walker get booted out of office and maybe he will, I'm just wondering if the DNC is nervous about backing a situation in which the people are fighting the system and might win.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The "people" are not fighting the system. The union leadership is. Walker will win because the people are tired of their control of gov. employees.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by savior93

The People most definitely are fighting. There's no doubt that Union Bosses are guilty of the very same thing Bankers and Corporations are however your post is nothing more than the typical logic-free thinking of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Instead of employing effort to root out and expose such corruption people take the lazy way out and condemn out of hand.

Why is the Right so against Unions and workers rights? It's because they're meant to protect all workers from being exploited, which means that they can pay peanuts and demand workers work 16 hour days with no breaks and people will do so because hey peanuts are better than nothing. Meanwhile owners will complain they don't have enough money to pay better while sipping champagne from their mansions.

I don't have a problem with people sipping champagne in their mansions, I have a problem when they have billions sitting around gathering dust and have the gall to tell their employees more lay-offs or less benefits or nope sorry no raises this year.

Collective bargaining is a process of negotiations between employers and a group of employees aimed at reaching agreements that regulate working conditions. The interests of the employees are commonly presented by representatives of a trade union to which the employees belong. The collective agreements reached by these negotiations usually set out wage scales, working hours, training, health and safety, overtime, grievance mechanisms and rights to participate in workplace or company affairs.[1]

wiki

That is what Scott Walker is trying to destroy and that is what the People (by the way protesting in the tens of thousands on numerous occasions in WI) are fighting.

Madison Police predicted the 27th consecutive day of demonstrations against the law to severely restrict the power of public sector unions would approach the 70,000 to 100,000 on February 27, which was the largest demonstration at the state Capitol since the Vietnam War.

Though an official count was not yet available, the crowd Saturday seemed to surpass those numbers.

Reuters

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The general concepts of "Unions" are not necessarily the issue.

It's the corruption and some other problems.

One big problem is the unfunded pensions.

Many are Union generated, but taxpayer funded.

With States and localities broke, where will the money come from ?

The money and corruption are the issues.

This site has a good snapshot:
Unfunded Pensions by State

Related:

How the unfunded pension liabilities of government unions are destroying Illinois

If You Think Unfunded Pensions Are A Problem, You Don’t Know The Half of It…

Unfunded Pension Woes Will Sink Public Sector Unions

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by savior93
The "people" are not fighting the system. The union leadership is. Walker will win because the people are tired of their control of gov. employees.

I agree 100%. This isn't about the people. It's about Union control of Government positions and workers. I'd said this back when it was going on in Wisconsin with the State House takeover, but it's all about the Unions here being public sector. I have no problem with the idea of private business unions even if I don't like or agree with them personally. In government though? I can't just choose to buy another product if I think Union labor rates ran the price up too high for an area they handle. I'm a captive audience and worse, I'm forced by law to pay for it through taxes and everything else Government collects in fees and fines. That is where I say the difference is and it's enormous for why I think Scott Walker did the right thing and what many more states will eventually have to do or fail completely.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

In other words Walker is saying Wisconsin has mismanaged funds so there's no money to pay the pensions of teachers, firefighters or any other public sector job but instead of fixing the problem they're going to kneecap Unions that have nothing to do with the State mismanaging tax dollars. What's next ordering them all to work for free?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

In other words Walker is saying Wisconsin has mismanaged funds so there's no money to pay the pensions of teachers, firefighters or any other public sector job but instead of fixing the problem they're going to kneecap Unions that have nothing to do with the State mismanaging tax dollars. What's next ordering them all to work for free?

In order to make that assumption real, we need to look back at how those pensions got out of hand and remained unfunded in the first place (if it's even true).

I suspect it has been a long term problem going back decades.

We would need to identify the politicians in power that led up to the massive unfunding (if any)

Declining tax revenues have probably exposed any covered up problems.

""What's next ordering them all to work for free?""

Careful .... some states have forced furloughs and forced days off and reduced hours already.

I think California has been doing that.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Careful .... some states have forced furloughs and forced days off and reduced hours already. I think California has been doing that.

Good lord, let me off already...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Don't fret Xue...The DNC hasn't lost faith in their Dem candidate, they were just waiting to interject money because they didn't want to be recruitment headline for Walker Fundraising. Either way, times up and they had to write a check...and no doubt Walker's campaign will use the news to get on the phone and try to bait Billionaires into contributing more to thier already fat campaign trough.

* A day after Wisconsin Democrats aired their frustrations with the national party, the Democratic Governors Association announced that another $700,000 was sent last week to fund a Greater Wisconsin ad buy and Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) has announced a trip to the state to campaign with Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. Barrett faces Gov. Scott Walker (R) on June 5. (Update: The $700,000 is included in the DGA’s already-announced $2 million investment.)

www.washingtonpost.com...

new topics

top topics

join