It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Big brother' lamp posts can hear, see and bark 'Obey!' at you

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

OK yes, people can hear you and see you and you accept this when you're out in any public space - but tell me...how would you react if somebody just came up and took a picture of you on their camera?

And NO, I don't mean they were taking a photo of the street or the building behind you and you just happened to be part of the scene on public land - I mean they come up to YOU and take a close-up of YOU.

Or sidled up close to you and your significant-other on the park bench and started audio-recording you?

I suppose you'd be OK with that?

We have that, it's called YouTube.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If you build a more difficult maze eventually you get a smarter rat. It would only be a matter of time until someone figures out how to hack into it.
edit on 16-5-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
For years the UK has had CCTV everywhere, to the extent that a commonly quoted fact is that we have the most security cameras per head in the world. We've also had cameras which enable the operator to speak to people near to the camera via a microphone and speaker for many years.

However, as a previous commenter noted, these devices are useless without an efficient police force. I've been told off many times by a camera whilst relieving myself when walking home from the pub. It's also fun to throw snowballs at them and see if the wiper works (it normally doesn't).

These cameras are actually a danger to society as they give people a false sense of security. Both myself and a work mate have been seriously assaulted during the past couple of years. On both occasions the only people in the heavily observed street where ourselves (individually in the separate incidents), and the gangs that jumped us. In both cases it took between 20 and 30 minutes to be able to get any assistance via our phones and on reviewing the case there was no video evidence of either attack. There's a lot to be said for the men and women of our police force and they should never be replaced by machines.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
my reply would be "fook you c'mon make me you jerk don't you start nothing with me. what you can't come out of your box and say it to my face? chicken bawk bawk backaw bawk bawk"
edit on 16-5-2012 by rockoperawriter because: yeah

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RXRob

I couldn't agree more! You need people that actually do their job- Unlike these cops we have today (Not all of them)!
Maybe one day they will replace cops with robots- But they would have to be programed by someone on our side

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HigherLearningSociety

and even give voice commands thanks to a built-in speaker.

At least they may be able to stop dogs cocking there leg over it
If a lamp post spoke to me i would give it the finger

Cran

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

At least they may be able to stop dogs cocking there leg over it
If a lamp post spoke to me i would give it the finger

Pretty much sums it up.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1825114
www.marketwatch.com... lighting-and-network-control-system-2012-05-03

May 3, 2012

Operating effectively without cable installation, underground trenching or wire maintenance to set-up the control of the outdoor lighting, sound and video, SmartSite is a 24/7 area-wide system that offers architectural luminaire styles, a robust platform, digital wireless solutions, Wi-Fi capabilities, and a myriad of homeland security features. SmartSite also offers multimedia solutions that can upgrade an existing infrastructure to provide information, advertising, security and entertainment for public spaces with streetlights that automatically adjust the lighting to illuminate the area with the specific amount of light needed. The digital display banners, and synchronized sound from integrated speakers on each "Smart" light pole, will provide a seamless audience experience as well as generate a measurable revenue stream.

from the end of last year...

Intelligent lights make up wireless network used for entertainment and safety

When you step come into view of the street light, there is a camera that spots you, and the person on the other side sees you by white specs on a black screen. [B]The camera senses that somebody is there, and if wants, it can even take your picture.[/B]

The system is also capable of recording conversations making critics cry invasion of privacy.

“This is not a system with spook technology. It’s much more transparent. It can just talk to you and say, don’t fall over Niagara Falls,” said Harwood.

Basic light starts at $3,000 dollars. By Spring of next year there is a good chance you could see them pop up in your city.

The first of these light poles sit on 10 mile Road just East of Orchard Lake Road. Harwood already has orders from cities across Metro Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh and he's working with Homeland Security.

and there are still tons of people who say this stuff doesn't exist/is ridiculous conspiracy conjecture

Why don't we all have a wi-fi jammer on us so their wireless stations won't be able to operate the streetlights. You can buy jammers or if they are banned you can get the parts and build it yourself.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HigherLearningSociety

Glad I live in Canada!

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Don't worry little Stephen will be like, "Oh, Oh, over here, OH, oh, can we get some too?"

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
they just had a report on this where i live. they are putting these all over town under the guise of "gang violence". i can't believe how people around here are ok with this. people who make money are easily scared into giving their rights away around these parts. my god, if they were to get robbed, they might not be able to vote for their "idol".

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Whats the big deal? Either stay away from the lamps or dont do stupid things in public around these lamps. If everyone acts "normal" around the lamps the footage is going to be extremely boring lol. Keep the violence underground i say

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
DIY EMP gadgets versus the NWO!
source : www.youtube.com...

F.T.G.

edit on 17-5-2012 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
If everyone is treated like a criminal, then we all live in a prison.
edit on 17-5-2012 by FlyingFox because: Oh, and don't forget the smoke grenades

edit on 17-5-2012 by FlyingFox because: or fog.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

It's just reality JPZ, sorry, but it's true. Your actions and words in public aren't private. Now again, if they were to put these in people's homes, or cars, or on private property, I would be with you, but on public property, well, it's public property, and so there is no inherent right to privacy.

Well, a few examples which may unnerve you...

In certain cities, Baltimore, LA (?) and elsewhere, you cannot go around, in public, with your face covered. The covered face being the ultimate "privacy" (short of a black jumpsuit and a funny walk).

Firearm rights are regulated on state and county levels.

Most relevantly, a number of states have wiretap laws, the "2-party state" being the example here. In this case, you cannot record the SPOKEN WORD of another, without their KNOWLEDGE. I emphasize words to simplify the underlying legal principles. So, you can video/film things "in plain view" (afaik)... that being NOT to zoom in 1000x to reveal something pertaining to a persons privacy (not the same as "invasion of privacy"). However, you cannot audio tape at-will.

For example, a 1-Party state means that as long as ONE party in the conversation (or in the room/proximity?) knows there is a recording being done, it's legal. I cite the OJ case, him being taped by some other guy when he did his "kidnapping" stuff. One person also means that you cannot audio tape some other person w/o their knowledge, Mr.Bond.

I mention the part about knowing you are being taped, verses "agreeing" or giving permission. Someone can't just say "don't tape me" and oblige you to actually stop. I cite the example of a news reporter, with the big billboard microphone. Same goes for the cops, they can't tell you to stop, when you have a legal right to tape. Often in 2-party states, the cops pounce on video tapers, most often with cameraphones, they ask if that records audio, and if the answer is yes....boom a 15 year prison sentence. The Maryland example is chilling, the unmarded off duty cop pulling over and pulling a gun on a motorcyclist, who did nothing more than speed. Well, when the helmet cam hit youtube, the MD state police raided the guys home for his PCs, etc. Nice.

In PA, the standard is a case where a guy taped at a DUI checkpoint (he had a safety concern). Cops told him to stop and then prosecuted him for "Harassment", and the citizen won. That's not wiretap, but does establish the right to tape.

Sorry of my post is long and rambling, I'm just trying to throw out concepts that anyone here is welcome to refine and run with. Just to be complete, you YOU DO have the right to "investigate your surroundings. My problem with the public surveillance is there's no probable cause nor criminal allegation, so why are the police involved at all? They are not there to babysit the public, there is a presumption of innocence anyway. "Crime prevention" is not a mandate to involve themselves in, and interfere with, ordinary lives. We have minimal crime for an urban area, what the heck are camers supposed to solve and prevent, purse snatching!?!

Ok, I'm done.
edit on 17-5-2012 by FlyingFox because: "right to privacy" just means in bathrooms and bedrooms, & changing rooms...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingFox

Even in Birmingham, Alabama they have a city ordinance banning masks in public. It was a recent one to keep people from wearing masks during the Occupy protests.

It seems very excessive since the gang members down here don't cover their faces.

Are they afraid bank robbers will break out the ski or Zorro masks?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

A law banning masks in public is pointless. If somebody is going to commit a crime they will just wear the mask anyways lol. Same with banks that have the sign on the doors saying "Please remove hats and hoods before entering". If somebody is going to rob the bank, do you think they are going to give a god damn what the sign says? Haha.

tl;dr: My point being, the law banning masks in public is nothing to do with fear of robberies or whatever. They just don't want people to have anonymity when protesting.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
So, these things can take photos.

So the camera is fairly good on the megapixel level.

Now, lets toss in facial recognition software on the back-end (meaning the people watching the monitor).

NOW you have tracking ability. (Person XYZ was seen @ Jefferson St. and 9th at 14:37 on Wednesday May 8th. ).

And don't tell me they won't have face recognition running sooner or later. Hell, why not, I mean, if they are watching and recording, why not.

Next then comes being able to send you tickets in the mail for god knows what else.

Now tie that into the place being built in Utah, the big old huge data warehouse.
(sorry don't have links handy at the time of posting).

I do not find this comforting at all. With all the laws, local, state, federal, it means people are going to be getting some nasty surprises.

The government does not need to monitor, does not need to listen, nor track any of us. (At least if we were a nation of freedom, they wouldn't).

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

This data warehouse?

A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and DOMESTIC networks.

I hadn't heard about this yet, but I don't like the sound of this.

And the facial recognition software is probably already in place in some form. I'm really worried about the direction my country's government is and has been heading.

EDIT:

And how much information can this thing hold?

“As the sensors associated with the various surveillance missions improve,” says the report, referring to a variety of technical collection methods, “the data volumes are increasing with a projection that sensor data volume could potentially increase to the level of Yottabytes (10^24 Bytes) by 2015.”1 Roughly equal to about a septillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) pages of text, numbers beyond Yottabytes haven’t yet been named.

Source
edit on 5/17/2012 by Anonymous404 because: added information

edit on 5/17/2012 by Anonymous404 because: Fixed interger in the second quote.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

Yea, thats the one, supposed to go on-line Sept of 2013. or so.

Yea, that is a LOT fo data. If the lamp-posts are able to transmit to a location to view the feeds from the came, they can easily, also, be routed to this location as well for storage.

Truth is becoming way scarier then anything fiction can come up with.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join