It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Big brother' lamp posts can hear, see and bark 'Obey!' at you

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

'Big brother' lamp posts can hear, see and bark 'Obey!' at you

rt.com

America welcomes a new brand of smart street lightning systems: energy-efficient, long-lasting, complete with LED screens to show ads. They can also spy on citizens in a way George Orwell would not have imagined in his worst nightmare.

­With a price tag of $3,000+ apiece, according to an ABC report, the street lights are now being rolled out in Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh, and may soon mushroom all across the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Big Brother Just Got Bigger

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Crazy how they're are putting these all over the country after Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh get them. Glad I live in Canada!
They seem to be pushing this pretty fast as well!
Using 9/11 as the bait to press this forward I can't see them stopping at all until every street sign has been change!

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

“The system represents Big Brother on steroids,” commented the website InfoWars.com, which sees Intellistreets as a major threat to privacy.

I have a question, how can one expect privacy in public?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
England is full of CCTV but the people are scared of going outside because surveillance does not work without enforcement from an efficient police force

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

Despite crime being at it's lowest point in decades, people are still scarred to go out , because the media would have you believe there is a peado or mugger just waiting to get you on every street corner.

As crime goes down the fear rises for some strange reason.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Guess who pays for them?
Yep... you.

You know they have us by the balls when they can make ordinary citizens pay for something that will be detrimental to them in the long run.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
So what?

Just don't stand near those lamps!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

you're right but the police only seem to interested in protecting 'tapayers' and view the poor, the unemployed and ethnic minorities with suspicion. for this reason many crimes against these groupes don't get reported. i've been the victim of two violent crimes this month. only one got reported and when the police came they assumed i was up to no good and was subject to aggressive questioning. earlier this year i was physically threatened and pinned against a wall for refusing to eplain why i was wearing my coat, the officer with si of his colleages said 'we don't have to deal with little sh*ts like you anymore, you should read the papers"...."our job is to protect the taxpayer".... he didn't once threaten me with arrest, i hadn't broken the law. this is the reality of british policing.....f**k the police.....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It's weird how things that Alex Jones rants about slowly find their way into mainstream news, and by then seem commonplace. This isthe sort of thing he might have ranted about a couple of years ago and I'd have dismissed it as him being off the charts again.

+8 more 
posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst
So what?
Just don't stand near those lamps!

yeah, for a while, until they install one in your bedroom.

then you'll say "ah well, i'll just go to another room."

you can only keep saying "so what" for so long.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
im willing to bet those lamp post wont stand for more than a year. kids are very creative these days and expensive gear like left out in the open is certain to attract stray bullets.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Am I the only one that thinks $3k per post seems cheap? Not a fan of being watched all the time. Nothing to hide so why should I be subjected to monitoring? I really dont think things will last long unless theyre bulletproof.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HigherLearningSociety

I heard this on the news yesterday. Between this and the armed drones, are we feeling safe yet? (I'm joking.)

This is a perfect example of how technology (in this Age -- Dwapara Yuga) is used to control & enslave the masses. This is one of the reasons I think the "New Agers" are delusional.

And we are only at the beginning of Dwapara Yuga. Things will get much worse, as the technology becomes more & more sophisticated and invasive.

Don't they already have phones that can see thru things? Whoever thought that up? And for what purpose?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by theGreatunhosed
reply to post by woodwardjnr

you're right but the police only seem to interested in protecting 'tapayers' and view the poor, the unemployed and ethnic minorities with suspicion. for this reason many crimes against these groupes don't get reported. i've been the victim of two violent crimes this month. only one got reported and when the police came they assumed i was up to no good and was subject to aggressive questioning. earlier this year i was physically threatened and pinned against a wall for refusing to eplain why i was wearing my coat, the officer with si of his colleages said 'we don't have to deal with little sh*ts like you anymore, you should read the papers"...."our job is to protect the taxpayer".... he didn't once threaten me with arrest, i hadn't broken the law. this is the reality of british policing.....f**k the police.....

Things are going to get much worse for non-Whites & immigrants in the First World countries. It's inevitable. I hope you're not one of those who were born & raised in the UK -- that situation really s**ks. A person without a country.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I wonder how long until they start printing out fines like in "Demolition Man"?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

“The system represents Big Brother on steroids,” commented the website InfoWars.com, which sees Intellistreets as a major threat to privacy.

i have a question , for you . do you consider your car a privet place ?
say , you and your wife ( or girl friend ) are late for a dinner part or office party and you are running late . its late , you come to a intersection the light is red and no one is around . your wife hops in the back seat ( or maybe not ) to change , her breasts are showing or maybe even fully nude putting on a dress . would you want some one having perverse thoughts of your wife , because they are watching her underss from that lamp right now .
or...
say your a respected business man and have done nothing notably wrong in your life ( hell you dont even have to be a business man ) and all the sudden you have been in an accident of some sort and now have chronic pain . your doctor has prescribed you to having a medical marijuana licence and you now smoke medical pot for your pain .
your state county and city all have accepted and endorse medical pot . as we all know pot promotes paranoia ( and being the goody you are ) you already dont like people to know that you smoke pot . how social do you think youd be , paranoid knowing some ones always watching you .
or...
say , your son has to take Ritalin for adhd and he forgot to take it . your in your car on the way to taking him to school , and you hand him his meds over the back seat . the all seeing lamp sees this and reports contributing to a minor . you get pulled over .
the list of things can go on for ever . none of these matters will get you thrown in jail none of them are wrong , in some states your car is considered so personal that the MAKE MY DAY LAW pertains to your car as well as your home . and this is just the seeing part .

lets go to the part where you are parked next to one of these lamps and are on blue tooth talking to an investor about a business venture and some fu%k listening in on your call ( from the all hearing lamp ) has a friend in the same field of business and gives him the inside info and you end up losing a lot of money and dont know why . like i said the list is endless .

how privet is your public now ?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HigherLearningSociety

This is getting really ridiculous now..... way too much spying going on.... last time i checked out my nearest train station, i saw about 10 CCTV and that was before i even got to the platform and this is a small station.... they are positioned just near the kiosk part where you get info or buy tickets but also they dont just point at the kiosk area, they point in all directions..... 10 CCTV in about 10 metres of space!!

But the lamp posts are really prying now...

I dont much like going into shops these days coz it makes me feel like i'm a thief with all the cams and security everywhere

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

Yup, the camera watches me get stabbed for my wallet while the police get in their cars to drive over... But if i spit my gum out or miss the litter bin with a cigarette butt i can expect a fine in the mail a few weeks later...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
www.marketwatch.com... lighting-and-network-control-system-2012-05-03

May 3, 2012

Operating effectively without cable installation, underground trenching or wire maintenance to set-up the control of the outdoor lighting, sound and video, SmartSite is a 24/7 area-wide system that offers architectural luminaire styles, a robust platform, digital wireless solutions, Wi-Fi capabilities, and a myriad of homeland security features. SmartSite also offers multimedia solutions that can upgrade an existing infrastructure to provide information, advertising, security and entertainment for public spaces with streetlights that automatically adjust the lighting to illuminate the area with the specific amount of light needed. The digital display banners, and synchronized sound from integrated speakers on each "Smart" light pole, will provide a seamless audience experience as well as generate a measurable revenue stream.

from the end of last year...

Intelligent lights make up wireless network used for entertainment and safety

When you step come into view of the street light, there is a camera that spots you, and the person on the other side sees you by white specs on a black screen. [B]The camera senses that somebody is there, and if wants, it can even take your picture.[/B]

The system is also capable of recording conversations making critics cry invasion of privacy.

“This is not a system with spook technology. It’s much more transparent. It can just talk to you and say, don’t fall over Niagara Falls,” said Harwood.

Basic light starts at $3,000 dollars. By Spring of next year there is a good chance you could see them pop up in your city.

The first of these light poles sit on 10 mile Road just East of Orchard Lake Road. Harwood already has orders from cities across Metro Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh and he's working with Homeland Security.

and there are still tons of people who say this stuff doesn't exist/is ridiculous conspiracy conjecture

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Public persons, such as any Governor, Mayor, or police officer has no reasonable expectation of privacy in public. Private persons, on the other hand, have every reasonable expectation of privacy in public. I live in California, so I will use that State Constitution as evidence of such:

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

~California State Constitution; Article I~

Every state comes with their own constitution and similar declarations.

If a person commits a crime, it matters not if they are in their home, or in public, they cannot fall back on their right to privacy to excuse the crime. If a private person is not committing any crime and is in public, they have every reasonable right to privacy. Barking lampposts spying on private persons is not within the realm of reasonable. There must be reasonable cause to invade that privacy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join