It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gef my fond childhood memory!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Cool story, surprised I've never heard of this before.

You're right, interesting threads on ATS seem to go largely un-noticed...seems ATS is more about politics than anything unusual or paranormal. I'd guesstimate about 75% of the threads are about ron paul and the other 25% from people promising something amazing is due to happen any time soon because they spoke to an alien or something, kinda boring.

Then I found this thread...and it isn't long enough! There just aren't enough responses, but I'll be googling Gef for sure...I'll star and flag it in the hope that it gets more attention and responses.

Thanks.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by samerulesapply
Cool story, surprised I've never heard of this before.

You're right, interesting threads on ATS seem to go largely un-noticed...seems ATS is more about politics than anything unusual or paranormal. I'd guesstimate about 75% of the threads are about ron paul and the other 25% from people promising something amazing is due to happen any time soon because they spoke to an alien or something, kinda boring.

Then I found this thread...and it isn't long enough! There just aren't enough responses, but I'll be googling Gef for sure...I'll star and flag it in the hope that it gets more attention and responses.

Thanks.

samerulesapply
Thank you so much for posting i appreciate it..Its to bad not more are interested in the thread seems more are into politics and doom and gloom ..

There is allot of articles on Gef on the Internet he was a very interesting mongoose with many talents he is one of the most interesting paranormal or real animals to be reported..

He just fascinated me as a kid i loved reading about this animal i think if many took the time to read this thread they would find Gef to be a real mystery..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about stars and flags to be honest, most of the threads with a high nimber of flags seem to be about the same thing.

If it's stars and flags you're after then you don't need to present anything paranormal, interesting or even slightly factual... simply create a thread with a catchy title, something like "on the 30th of this month something amazing will happen!", make up some story about how you spoke to some alien or heavenly being or something, then simply sit back and watch the replies, flags and stars flood in.

You know, I have to wonder why these threads continue to gain such popularity when they're created, due to the fact that most of them (if not all) prove fruitless in the end, yet people still click, read it and rate it...kinda puts me off ATS a little, but what can you do?

Personally, I prefer this type of thread, as opposed to peoples half-assed predictions that come to nothing. Write about your own experiences and what interests you, t'were a fascinating story and paved the way for further investigation and research, much appreciated.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by samerulesapply
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about stars and flags to be honest, most of the threads with a high nimber of flags seem to be about the same thing.

If it's stars and flags you're after then you don't need to present anything paranormal, interesting or even slightly factual... simply create a thread with a catchy title, something like "on the 30th of this month something amazing will happen!", make up some story about how you spoke to some alien or heavenly being or something, then simply sit back and watch the replies, flags and stars flood in.

You know, I have to wonder why these threads continue to gain such popularity when they're created, due to the fact that most of them (if not all) prove fruitless in the end, yet people still click, read it and rate it...kinda puts me off ATS a little, but what can you do?

Personally, I prefer this type of thread, as opposed to peoples half-assed predictions that come to nothing. Write about your own experiences and what interests you, t'were a fascinating story and paved the way for further investigation and research, much appreciated.

samerulesapply
I agree with what your saying but thats what seems to make Ats go around and be popular off the wall threads about the same old thing or predictions that never seem to come true..
The story of Gef to me was interesting and i thought people would like the thread but thats ok live and learn

thanks for posting,peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
What you need to do is make a thread how Gef appeared to you as a ghostly mongoose and told you how he was abducted by aliens and the aliens showed him that there was going to be an alien race that is coming to destroy the earth from behind planet X. Not to worry though because another alien race is going to help us led by Ron Paul. After defeating the evil alien race they then will show indisputable evidence that not only was Obama born in Kenya but his father was actually a member of the evil alien race that intended to destroy earth.

Your thread would have more stars than the universe could ever hold
edit on 17-5-2012 by davcon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by davcon
What you need to do is make a thread how Gef appeared to you as a ghostly mongoose and told you how he was abducted by aliens and the aliens showed him that there was going to be an alien race that is coming to destroy the earth from behind planet X. Not to worry though because another alien race is going to help us led by Ron Paul. After defeating the evil alien race they then will show indisputable evidence that not only was Obama born in Kenya but his father was actually a member of the evil alien race that intended to destroy earth.

Your thread would have more stars than the universe could ever hold
edit on 17-5-2012 by davcon because: (no reason given)

davcon
LOL I will have to keep that in mind next time i make a thread
But your right it would have made front page and 500 stars ..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Im going to bed and shed a tear over my thread no one is finding my Gef very interisting
sob sob

Hi Sugarcookie,
I've been a long time lurker here on ATS and many posts have peaked my interest enough to warrant signing up however, it is only Gef that has finally made that happen... I was scrolling through my RSS feeds on a bus the other day when I came across this thread and have only now (ironically while I'm at work) had the chance to register and respond.

I first encountered Gef while reading a book I had bought years ago, early '90's. From memory it was called "House of Evil" or "House of Horror" and contained several tales of the paranormal with an epilogue by Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker (one of the Doctors anyway). Out of all the stories in that book it was Gef that has always been at the back of my mind. Seven or so years ago that book was lost due to flood damage and I believe that in a box somewhere I do have another copy, if not, the hunt starts now.

Gef fascinated me as here was a creature that was obviously much more sentient than a poltergeist, demonic entity or ghost. For a few nights after reading it I had vivid dreams about the family and their situation with Gef. I agree with you that it is one of the most intriguing paranormal cases and thank you for starting this thread.

Hopefully, over time, we will have a lot more discussion here regarding Gef.
Right now though, I'm going to do some research. Pull out a few books when I get home and then hit the net to see what else I can find out about our friend 'Gef'

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Taliesyne
Welcome to ATS I'm glad you signed up! I find it hard to understand that not many aren't interested in Gef he has to be one of the most captivating creatures that ever lived..

The first time i read about Gef i was just a child i was at a relatives house that was into the paranormal and they had a magazine that was all about this mongoose..

The more i read the more into this creature i got i went to the library and got every book on Gef i could find and there wasn't allot..

I think Gef was the real deal not paranormal..I believe he just liked messing with the family and he lived in fear of being trapped so he kept them on edge so they wouldn't catch him and make a side show out of him..

Gef was a true mystery one that never has been solidly proven either way..

But i do think as time went on allot got added to his story so he became folklore..But Gef will always be in my memory as the talking mongoose of my childhood memory..

Thank you so much for posting and if you come across anything interesting please post it..peace,sugarcookie1
Hear is your first star

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Thanks sugarcookie,

I believe that the story of Gef does hold a sentimental place for us both and I don't think it would matter if someone came out and solidly debunked the case at all either. I did find this last night...

"One of the most outrageous cases that [Harry] Price was called upon to investigate concerned a talking mongoose called 'Gef', which a family named Irving claimed shared their lonely farmhouse in the Isle of Man. Although Gef was seldom seen (Price never so much as caught a glimpse of him on his visit to the farm) the mongoose was, reportedly, a loquacious little fellow, and also had quite a repertoire of popular songs.

The story was a 'natural' for the newspapers during the early 1930's, and reporters climbed the 700-foot hill to Gef's residence in trilbied droves. Harry Price was fascinated and amused by the tale, and enlisted the help of a team of investigators and scientists. By the time they had finished their work, the evidence of Gef was meagre indeed: a few blurry photograaphs of something in the fields outside the farmhouse, and some hairs, said to have been plucked from the mongoose but which, under the microscope, bore an uncanny resemblance to the fur of the Irving's dog, Mona.Price was inclined to think that Gef was a fantasy which provided entertainment and interest for the isolated family."

Fairley, John & Welfare, Simon; Arthur C Clarke's World Of Strange Powers; Collins, London; 1984: page 41

I would love to track down some of the original newspaper articles and Harry Price's notes and letters on the subject....one day...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taliesyne

Thanks sugarcookie,

I believe that the story of Gef does hold a sentimental place for us both and I don't think it would matter if someone came out and solidly debunked the case at all either. I did find this last night...

"One of the most outrageous cases that [Harry] Price was called upon to investigate concerned a talking mongoose called 'Gef', which a family named Irving claimed shared their lonely farmhouse in the Isle of Man. Although Gef was seldom seen (Price never so much as caught a glimpse of him on his visit to the farm) the mongoose was, reportedly, a loquacious little fellow, and also had quite a repertoire of popular songs.

The story was a 'natural' for the newspapers during the early 1930's, and reporters climbed the 700-foot hill to Gef's residence in trilbied droves. Harry Price was fascinated and amused by the tale, and enlisted the help of a team of investigators and scientists. By the time they had finished their work, the evidence of Gef was meagre indeed: a few blurry photograaphs of something in the fields outside the farmhouse, and some hairs, said to have been plucked from the mongoose but which, under the microscope, bore an uncanny resemblance to the fur of the Irving's dog, Mona.Price was inclined to think that Gef was a fantasy which provided entertainment and interest for the isolated family."

Fairley, John & Welfare, Simon; Arthur C Clarke's World Of Strange Powers; Collins, London; 1984: page 41

I would love to track down some of the original newspaper articles and Harry Price's notes and letters on the subject....one day...

Hi Taliesyne
few blurry photographs of something in the fields outside the farmhouse was probably a cat or something like that..
I read about the hairs the other day being what they thought was from the Irving's dog maybe Gef pulled them from the dog and said it was his lol thats what i want to believe

Maybe Gef was a product of the Irving's imagination but i find it hard to believe they would get there kid involved with this tale she was only about 13..
I'm sure there is original newspaper articles some were from this story on Gef ..
Even if it was debunked i probably wouldn't believe it i always thought this talking mongoose was the real thing and will probably always believe this animal existed..
Its still to me one of the best paranormal story's ever written

Thanks for posting back..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Hi i am an admin on gefs facebook page its quite active come and join us!

www.facebook.com...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashdespatch

www.facebook.com...

dashdespatch
Thank you for the invite but i dont do facebook, thats something i will never load to use..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by dashdespatch

www.facebook.com...

dashdespatch
Thank you for the invite but i dont do facebook, thats something i will never load to use..peace,sugarcookie1

I second that

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I never read about GEF but I do remember seeing the movie The Never Ending Story and all of the magic that the film brought into it.

I am glad that you and I have held onto fond memories of cool magical things. Makes life worth living

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by congoGORILLA
I never read about GEF but I do remember seeing the movie The Never Ending Story and all of the magic that the film brought into it.

I am glad that you and I have held onto fond memories of cool magical things. Makes life worth living

congoGORILLA
There is nothing better then being a kid and holding on to the childhood memories of something that was so impressive it stayed with me through adulthood..peace,sugarcookie1

top topics

<< 1   >>

join