It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed UK " FAT TAX"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I see the Gov' are thinking of hitting us with yet another tax , the " fat tax " .
They are going to put more VAT on foods they deem to be unhealthy . The thing is , where will they draw the line ? All this Gov' ( and any preceding them ) have done is take , take , take.
Instead of hitting us in our pockets , why aren't the Gov' putting more pressure on the food manufacturers to make their products more healthy ?
Pretty soon we will all be living on bowls of rice and cycling to work because we can't afford the hiked up fuel prices . At least it will make our country less appealing to all the asylum seekers who cost us a f*&king fortune !!!!

www.ft.com...

edit on 16-5-2012 by dawnprince because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnprince

You forgot the source.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Whoops.
Guess I was too busy ranting

Source added

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Would be nice if they could remove any tax on fresh fruit and veg just to make it look like this is for the benefit of the nation and not so Mr Cameron can give more tax breaks to the rich.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Who is going to deem what is healthy or unhealthy ?

They can target any food if they so wish , including fresh fruit and veg , simply by stating that an unhealthy pesticide was used in the growing process or the grower used an unhealthy herbicide.

This is just another form of "Stealth Tax "

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Wouldn't that eventually make being fat look elitist and upwardly mobile?

The middle classes with upper class pretensions can drop the gym, the fake tans and the spa - if you want to feign wealth just get fat!
Out with the sprouts and the sea-weed, and hello lard!
The other stuff just gives you osteoporosis at some stage anyway, and who wants to look like that lady from You Are What You Eat in any case?

I think the immigrants from third world countries like Zimbabwe will feel right at home.
They're used to fat ministers being rich and ruling the roost, while the thin can scratch in the dirt for food.

Not a bad idea.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
Would be nice if they could remove any tax on fresh fruit and veg just to make it look like this is for the benefit of the nation and not so Mr Cameron can give more tax breaks to the rich.

Dumb question from an American for you.

You guys in the UK pay taxes on fruits and veggies?

I'm asking because we in the US do not pay sales taxes on fruits and veggies, at least we don't in Texas and I thought that was country-wide.

I can't imagine the point of taxing fresh food...so if someone explains I'd be grateful!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

My state does that.. it's actually quite high. You pay no tax on food stuffs from stores, but fast food is something like 10-15%

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

I'm asking because we in the US do not pay sales taxes on fruits and veggies, at least we don't in Texas and I thought that was country-wide.

I can't imagine the point of taxing fresh food...so if someone explains I'd be grateful!

The only foods currently taxed in the UK are heated takeaway foods, MacDonalds, Fish and Chips etc and food consumed in a restaurant. Food bought from a shop isn't taxed.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by Ameilia

The only foods currently taxed in the UK are heated takeaway foods, MacDonalds, Fish and Chips etc and food consumed in a restaurant. Food bought from a shop isn't taxed.

Your information is incorrect . Groceries are taxed but the tax is payed by the seller and is incorporated into the price. Below are a few examples.

Alcoholic drinks
Biscuits (chocolate covered only)
Bottled water (inc. mineral water)
Calendars & diaries
Carbonated (fizzy) drinks
CDs, DVDs & tapes
Cereal bars
Chocolate
Clothes & footwear (not for children under 14)
Confectionery/sweets
Electrical goods
Electricity, gas, heating oil & solid fuel (business)
Food & drinks supplied for consumption on the premises (at restaurants, cafes etc)
Hot take-away food & drinks (inc. burgers, hot dogs, toasted sandwiches)
Ice cream
Fruit juice & other cold drinks (not milk)
Nuts (shelled, roasted/salted)
Potato crisps
Prams & pushchairs
Road fuel (petrol/diesel)
Salt (non-culinary)
Stationery
Taxi fares
Tolls for bridges, tunnels & roads

All of the above are charged at the standard rate of 20%

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I was refering to sales tax paid by the consumer in reply to Ameilia's question. As it was a side question within a thread I didn't feel the need to offer as much detail as yourself. Although I neglected to mention that snacks are VAT charged, groceries are not subject to VAT and no tax other than that paid on profits are charged to the grocer.

new topics

top topics

join