It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing in Cursive.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I mostly write in cursive, unless I don't bcuz sum1 else is gonna read it and I don't for their sake

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Cursive writing was very beautiful but now it will be gone. I think the capital letters are more beautiful than the smaller case letters, they even existed because the lower case did, but, now it is considered rude and to be shouting if you write or type in it. I wish we all wrote in only capital letters. Or at least, made the alphabet simpler than it is now, make each letter, like one stroke or something, something way simple to write and so that your hands won't hurt in the writing of it.

Good bye, beautiful cursive writing.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
It's a shame, I don't even think they teach cursive in elementary school anymore. I do not even remember the last time I wrote in cursive myself. It's been a while since I used pen & paper!
edit on 11/17/2010 by TopherWayne because: (no reason given)

I was shocked to find out that they don't. I am a 37 yr old college student and I was amazed that my fellow (and younger) students weren't ever taught cursive. Now that I think about it, my own children never had any homework pertaining to practicing cursive. I don't understand how they'll ever develop a signature.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I find myself accidentally writing a few letters or a whole sentence in cursive on an application where your supposed to write in print. I think thats a result of me writing in cursive more often than print in my daily life.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
ummm hold on folks
so how are kids being taught to write now?

block letters?

Good questions, awaiting an answer (don't have kids myself).

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Yes, certain States, and schools are phasing out teaching of cursive.

Educators warn of negative effects of not teaching cursive in schools

Handwriting experts and educators worry that Indiana's choice to stop teaching cursive in schools could negatively affect a child's ability to learn.

The Indiana Department of Education joined 39 other states in adopting the Common Core curriculum, an initiative to phase out cursive writing in classrooms in favor of providing students more time to hone digital skills.
news.blogs.cnn.com...

Another State bites the dust....

Hawaii No Longer Requires Teaching Cursive In Schools

Hawaii is joining several states across the country that are dropping cursive writing from mandatory school curriculum.

The Aloha state has adopted for this school year the national Common Core State Standards, a set of education standards that omits cursive but includes keyboard proficiency. Hawaii's former public school standards require that students can, by the fourth grade, write legibly and in cursive, the Star Advertiser reports.

Now, whether schools teach cursive will be at the principal's discretion -- and several school leaders have indicated their interest in continuing to teach the skill, according to the Star Advertiser.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Des

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks for that, whoa! (is that a word now..? Yep, just googled it, whoa - 1. To express surprise (interj) 2. To express astonishment(interj) 3. To indicate a desire for one to end that of which they are speaking (interj) ...

anyway, I think the question was this - what lettering style ARE they teaching them, if not cursive? Is it block lettering, or just whatever suits their fancy as long as they spell it right? Or does THAT even matter any more.. not by the looks of mainstream articles on CNN which apppear to be written by 20 something's who did just well enough it would seem to try to appear to write intelligently.

Even the title of the OP makes it sound like it's something old fashioned and no longer in use, but if that weren't strange enough, we don't even know WHAT they're being taught except to "go digital" which scares me half to death when I think about it, given what they've probably got cooking over at Google and the NSA!

Someday soon, a child will be born, not to write beautiful ideas beautifully, but simply to serve the state, and Facebook and Twitter, saying nothing of any real meaning or significance, just abbreviated acronyms like, WTF?!

First we forget how to use proper speach, then how to write, then finally, how to think for ourselves, critically.

Not a happy day for freedom, and for the latent, as yet largely untapped genius of the human being come of age.. is it?

It's like some sort of psychological war, where on the one hand you have people like me and so many others (and many if not most here at ATS), calling us all to aim for the very best of the best in each and every person, and on the other hand, the strong desire by the PTB to dumb everyone down as much as possible, until the one's doing the dumbing down have been dumbed down, and that's scary, when the psy-op is itself run by dumned down dummies who managed to fool their teachers with exceptionally well developed copy/paste and plagerize skills, along with some good photo-shop editing (for pretty pictures).

Mark my words - unless the USA totally overhauls it's entire education system with the utmost integrity and civil awareness possible, and SOON (which may very well employ computer networks and a screen and keyboard on every desk if that's what it takes) - it WILL lose it's potioning in the world, &/or become a very dangerous entity, if not for our collective physical wellbeing, then for our very sanity, and thus for our eternal souls! - that's what the state/corpratocracy ultimately wants, mindless slaves typing acroyms at one abother about celebrity gossip. Oh no!

Future kids, as adults, will swint and squirm as they try desperately to write, on a mere piece of paper, intelligable words, just like the illiterates of today, but what's worse is when they hand it over to you to read, and there you see the scratchings of a three year old child with the intellect to match!

Let us weep now for that day, that it may never come to pass. If only it hadn't already appeared rushing headlong at us like a Mack Truck out of a long, dark tunnel.

We, THIS generation, the one's who write in curcive, we see it, but they do not. In fact, they might be the drugged out, mindless trucker at the wheel!

God help us!

edit on 16-5-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edited properly.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Kids are being taught block print. Kids now can't spell...they can only spell words the way they are spelled in texting.

It blows my mind to receive an email from adults that only use text spelling....example: i lik u

I fear our education system is a lost hope.

Des

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

i lik u

that's what it will come down to, and then you get REWARDED with an unexpected "hook up"! It's absurd.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

As for cursive, I love it! I prefer to write in cursive. I think it looks better. I have two tattoos, Shakespeare quotes, and they are both done in cursive.

If someone hasn't already asked, what do they say? If you don't mind me asking...

Nice thread op, I love cursive and I cursive just like my mum,(which helped when I needed to sign her signature for away days at school ;D ) and it is like dancing. It's a lovely skill to retain, and my kids are learning it in school here already.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Just to be clear, we're talking here about writing, where you use caps and lowercase, with the letters joined usually at the bottom, except for o's maybe where you can swirl back through the letter and onto the next, that's cursive writing, like, just writing, right? Did I mess something? Everyone's talking about it like it's special, but from my perspective (maybe I'm too old now at 45) it's just writing, on paper, but not printing in block letters, writing.

You can even have relatively BAD cursive writing, but it's just writing with the letters all joined together for each word right?

edit on 16-5-2012 by NewAgeMan because: glaring typo fixed

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

i lik u

that's what it will come down to, and then you get REWARDED with an unexpected "hook up"! It's absurd.

I had a discussion with my teenage daughter last night about words, and that their generation don't have enough to beautifully and adequately describe anything. They miss out on the richness of words because they refuse to learn them or they are not shown them.
In our house if you don't know what the word means I make them look it up in the biggest dictionary I've even seen, (it was a birthday gift).

I use big words on them as often as I can, makes me happy
and I will flick and read through that volume occasionally too.

I don't think all teaching will become a lost cause, for it is not. They'll quite possibly invent their own language and we'll be the ones left behind, who knows. Old ways/ones should be revered but it is the way that it is always evolving to become something new../..old. :/

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I learned cursive in elementary school.
I remember the teachers would tell us that we would use it for the rest of our lives.
We all look back now and laugh because no one uses it.
My handwriting has always been "scripty" though. Basically unconnected cursive. I just like writing q,s,z, etc. normally rather than in cursive.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
You can tell a person's emotions by the way their cursive is written.

Many things can be discovered and/or revealed within a person's writing in cursive and signature. For example more than likely a person comes from a broken home or separated or divorced parents if they were taught to carry through the stroke in the letters in thier surname (last name/family name) and they actually sign their name broken. If a person lifts up the pen/pencil when signing their last name and the letters should be connected but are not then odds are they come from a broken home. ... Where people dot their i's, cross their t's .... the slant of their letters... the consistancy of the pressure of the pen/pencil .... shapes of the letters.... and many other things mean many things.

Does anyone else out there appreciate and enjoy cursive?

I write in my diary/journal in cursive at least three times a week. I miss using cursive more often. People don't enjoy it as much as they used to I think. Even "notes" in school aren't the same anymore I imagine.

I think I agree with the OP's opinion about the decline of communication skills and appreciation of language. Also I think peoples' decline in social skills also exist. Too many people aren't texting what they are actually doing at the time, which is texting, instead they are describing what they are not doing and not paying attention to as though they are actually participating in reality where they are, which they are not, instead they are texting about what their eyes are not even watching.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

This is why I love ATS. I don't come here for the crazy hateful discussions you see all the time,

I come here for the intellectual discussions of smart topics and ideas, like the ones seen in this thread.

Thank you all for contributing.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I love to write in cursive. I am a pen and stationary collector so writing is a hobby of mine. I write in my journal often and consistantly write notes from my computer on a steno pad as I surf the web and do research, instead of using the note pad program on the computer.
The secret to good handwriting is to relax and slow down when you write. We all tend to write too fast when using cursive. Great thread.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
My handwriting is atrocious. It's some strange form of half cursive, half printing, I admire people with beautiful handwriting.

I don't know what to call my chicken scratch. Maybe "Cursing."

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beldy
My handwriting is atrocious. It's some strange form of half cursive, half printing, I admire people with beautiful handwriting.

I don't know what to call my chicken scratch. Maybe "Cursing."

You brought back a memory for me. No one could read my X's handwriting. Very rapid writer, and a lefty. I used to tell people his writing looked like a chicken with diarrhea ran across the page.

Thanks for the memories....

Des

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Best response in a thread ever.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join