It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing in Cursive.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Lately, I have switched back to writing in cursive after many years. I find cursive to be an extremely effective way of writing. The sad part is in this day and age of computers and texting, the actual written word is in decline. It is rather ironic because I am writing this thread on a computer.

Cursive is a very passionate writing style in my opinion. You can tell a person's emotions by the way their cursive is written.

There is something almost trance-like about writing in this style.

It also makes me think of automatic writing. Whenever I have tried that, it has always been in cursive.

Does anyone else out there appreciate and enjoy cursive?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I love cursive, and write that way mostly, even in emails I use the font lucinda handwriting.

I think that done well its beautiful, and says a lot about someones personality.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This is actually pretty funny. I did a walk through with a Customer today and he was taking notes on a "layout" of the Property and was writing in cursive. It was a little difficult for him. When I write out checks, I almost have to think of the number I am writing out before I actually write it so it looks half way decent. My cursive sucks. It has always sucked. I got a "D" in handwriting in Elementary School. Should of been a doctor.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It's a shame, I don't even think they teach cursive in elementary school anymore. I do not even remember the last time I wrote in cursive myself. It's been a while since I used pen & paper!
edit on 11/17/2010 by TopherWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

They are no longer teaching cursive writing in my child's school. Kind of a bummer!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I primarily write in cursive. Though originally trained as a mechanical drafter, block print never really did become natural to me. (Switch gears here--->) My grandfather smoked, but he removed that silver lined paper from inside every pack of cigarettes. He would write down words he had heard in conversation he might not be familiar with during the day. Then he would write the definitions out in the most precise elegant cursive. He also wrote tickets at the local tobacco sales warehouse, and would practice numbering and lettering in the evenings the months leading up to sales season. I still have his professional lettering course text booklets. Advice is get out the ruled tablet and practice your penmanship. It is a reflection of yourself, and often will make an impression whether accurately representative or not.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
ummm hold on folks
so how are kids being taught to write now?

block letters?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
For those who miss cursive in emails, on computers. Here is a Free Cursive Font site. Fun to go through and find fun things to play with.

www.fontspace.com...

Des

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Dear SolarE-Souljah,

I love cursive; but, my arthritis makes it hard for me to do anymore. I enjoyed your post. Another beautiful writing style is Chinese and that is also going away.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Personally my styles a bit of both, I tend to drag my hand when writing so my block writing looks a lil bit like cursive regardless. Your right though cursive could be considered an art form in some ways.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
When I'm taking notes for my own use I write in cursive. When I'm writing something for someone else I write in block letters. When my mom was still alive I always wrote letters to her in cursive (she was afraid of computers, so never had email); I loved her handwriting, and it was her hand that I emulated when I learned to write cursive.

There's something warm and self-expressive about cursive. It's disappointing that the schools don't teach it anymore; I think it's a great loss and a disservice to the kids....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I am Left Handed so that may be the reason my handwriting sucks so bad. My Kids know Handwriting but they dont grade it like they used to.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Good penmanship comes from writing from the shoulder.

So many times our elbows are on the table which restricts the nice fluid motions.

They really don't teach cursive in school anymore? langueg is on teh dekline...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I am greatly saddened that they are not teaching cursive in school anymore.

On a side note, I think cursive is also a lot like dancing. Depending on who is writing it, it can be smooth and elegant, frantic and tense, and also many other moods and feelings.

I am glad there are others out there who still appreciate it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

I take notes in cursive, at work, but like you, my cursive sucks! I am a female, but all my male friends write more legibly than I do, although, they all print, so I'm not sure if it is comparing "apples to apples". They (especially my sweetheart and my sons) tease me about it lovingly, all the time.

My handwriting has not been great from junior high on. Now I have a bit of a tremor, so my handwriting/cursive is really-truly awful.

I can type, though, at very high speeds, and as an IT professional, I write code that only machines read, so luckily, it does not handicap me.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I am an aspiring writer, and I will usually start out a session by writing in block print, which very quickly devolves (evolves?) into cursive. Mine isn't very nice if I don't try. But it's way quicker and gives me a better feeling all around. My mother and sister have BEAUTIFUL cursive but I apparently missed out on that skill.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I hated cursive as a child and even now I rarely use it. It looks nicer on paper but for speed I prefer to use print. These days the only time I use cursive is when I sign my name.

What do you guys do about your uppercase Q's? A big number 2 looks out of place to me so I make a fancy print-style Q instead.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Not only do I write in cursive; but, I use fountain pens. Much more expressive than a ballpoint or a gel pen.

My favorites are a couple of Namiki Vanishing Points with custom nibs. No cap to bother with, just push the top and the nib is extended. Push again and it retracts. Works great, one I have been using for 25 years with no problems.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Solar E!! Long time no see
Hope you are doing well.

As for cursive, I love it! I prefer to write in cursive. I think it looks better. I have two tattoos, Shakespeare quotes, and they are both done in cursive.

It's kind of funny I came across this thread because my friend and I were just talking about cursive writing at work yesterday. Some places want to get rid of cursive all together. I think that is horrible. How will kids ever read topics or books that are in cursive. How will they sign their name if they don't know cursive?!

I think cursive is a pretty form of writing and I hope it isn't phased out.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nautidreamer

They are no longer teaching cursive writing in my child's school. Kind of a bummer!

They do in the school my kid goes to, and ever since he's learned it, he refuses to write in print anymore. Cursive is all he wants to do.

I've always been a sucker for cursive, I was downright obsessed with it. Whenever I saw someone with elegant handwriting, I'd try to imitate it to improve my own style. For a while, I spent fortunes on beautiful journals with nice, white, unlined paper and on expensive fountain pens. My obsession has somewhat subsided, but I still admire great handwriting, like of the founding fathers, for example.
edit on 16-5-2012 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join