It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We give prison sentences for petty crime, but not for billion-dollar fraud

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Because those that have the most money and power make the rules and are above the law and those that don't have the most money and power MUST adhere to the laws.

Some, the "elite few" are above the law and it will remain thus until the common person (which there are more of us then them, unite, rebel and refuse to comply.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

The systems are not set up to protect the public, the public are given enough laws to break for them to hire a big enough police/army to police them. Only to protect the big shots when the public have had enough, in the uk, it's illegal for police to strike/protest. Suckers. There will always be crime because choice is kind of an illusion. Don't get me wrong we all have the choice but there are only so many roads.

Take away the money, set up a system of service, give everyone access. and there would only be violent crime.
edit on 16-5-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Right neverrmind that

Madoff is currently in jail for the next 3 decades.

Blah.
edit on 15-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Has anyone here actually seen the guy in prison, or have proof that is really where he is?

My honest to god guess is that he will be spending the remainder of his days on a private island somewhere.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Remember the golden rule:

He who controls the gold makes the rules.

It's always been the same throughout history, the rich don't give a damn about the poor, and never will, and will always be too powerful to touch by law.

That's why you need.....

THE PUNISHER!

Those who are not interested in gold, are those who in time remain uncompromised and the most dangerous.
This type of person frightens more than anything, those people, for whom the world turns on incidence after incidence of ownership born of personal corruption.
If you allow someone to own you, you deserve everything you get, and in time you will regret your inability to raise your voice.
Only when enough people remain free of corruption, can we use the word NO and it mean anything.
Unfortunately PIGS are drawn to the trough, and so long as there is enough slop money for them all, they continue to gorge themselves on your freedom, whilst being wholly owned by their greed, lust, averice.
Total scum.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
No we clearly need more ways to catch more petty crimes more often that trying to fix any problems that cause the crime.

You know, because visual deterrents like cops on the street and spy cameras everywhere is better than education or services to prevent......

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Everyone would then live in a prison. Lampposts telling you your walking on the wrong side of the road then sending you a fine.

Not services for rehabilitation. Employment just like national service. Everyone does their bit then retires for new generations to step up. Hoarding wealth and jobs is causing all these probs. Everyone could retire at 40. And everything can be free. Access for all as long as we all did our service. Let's say, 22 yrs. so easy. Plenty choice for to people choose from.

No theft, fraud, ect, if people wanna indulge in narcotics, theire choice. There would only be violent crime.
There ya go. Economy and half the crime sorted. Give it to Obama and tell him to tell the fed to sling theire hook

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

Who cares?

Don't break the law that's easy.

the rest off topic.
edit on 15-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

^^^ An apologist for inhuman atrocity.
An apologist for the unjust.
An apologist for the oppression of the state.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sadly, there is very little "true" justice on this planet.

Like the Op stated, it is ridiculous why some are locked away compared to what some get away with .

We can only hope there is some sort of justice in the spiritual realms.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Or for politicians accepting bribes on Capitol Hill "lobbying" which occurs every single day.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Petty criminals have public defenders.

Rich folk have $500 an hour attorneys that go golfing with the Judge on weekends.

I think it's really just that simple.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Petty criminals have public defenders.

Rich folk have $500 an hour attorneys that go golfing with the Judge on weekends.

I think it's really just that simple.

Being able to legally screw millions of people, while another individual steals some food because he's hungry.... that's all about the lawyer? You're saying the state can't afford an equally capable lawyer?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I can speak to what I know personally of the situation where I live and it's grim here. If one is arrested for a serious crime, one had better find some way to pay for an attorney. I'm not suggesting the state couldn't pay for the adequate staffing, but it's obviously no high priority here and as a result, it's caused no end to problems. They can't outright release people for the lack of supplying a lawyer (Although major problems have come from this) so the lawyers they do have, while bright and energetic I'm sure, are dealing with case loads running 75-100 cases or more at any given time. How much attention can be paid?

Numerous solutions are on the table to address Missouri’s overloaded public defender system, but those on the front lines said a one-size-fits-all approach may not fix the crisis.

In fiscal year 2011, the public defender system received about $35 million from state general revenues, but the office needs $9 million more to adequately handle its current annual caseload.

Kelly said her office handled about 80,000 public defender cases in fiscal year 2011. Last year, one of the state’s offices was so overloaded it temporarily stopped taking new cases.

“The Constitution doesn’t make any exceptions for budget considerations,” Kelly said. “It’s pretty clear you can’t lock somebody up if you can’t provide them a lawyer. We have to decide as a state what our priorities are. If we want to lock this many people up, then we have to provide lawyers for them.”
Source

How is that for a real motivation to remain honest and law abiding?
Our system is at the breaking point in so many different ways.....yet look at the headlines for what politicians think really matters. It's enough to just cry some days....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

neo96
Inevitability The Knowledge that no matter what you do with the rest of your life youll never be as cool as corporate overlord.

i can clearly see why you would try to deflect from the truth,
you think corporate overloads are cool

truth is petty crime = jail
major financial crime = small fine

you are so disingenuous that most people here can see straight through your post

xploder

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Here is the truth

We give prison sentences for petty crime, but not for billion-dollar fraud,

Madoff is sitting in prison for committing billion dollar fraud

deflection is making the topic about the poster

aight?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

We give prison sentences for petty crime, but not for billion-dollar fraud,

you put poor people in prison for petty crimes

Madoff is sitting in prison for committing billion dollar fraud

you seriously are pointing at ONE person and saying what?
that the rich go to jail too?
MILLIONS of americans in jail for minor crimes, and ONE madoff?
dont be so disingenious it is far to easy to see through your argument that i got 9 stars for pointing it out.

deflection is making the topic about the poster

i was pointing out your obvious bias, and in doing so showing you why you looked so hypocritical hence transparent

aight?

lol
no noe neo you seem to think your example actually makes seance,
it does not and i know why, you are biased into thinking your cool corporate overloads are above the law,
and that is not true in the long term.

you think your wealth makes you immune from justice?
you think ONE madoff is equal to a million "less well off" people going to jail for MUCH smaller crimes.

it does not take a maths genius to figure out you are full of it with that particular straw argument
all men are created equal
and
the law is equally delt to all as equals
try again?

alright?

xploder
edit on 16-5-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Wasn't aware that i wrote laws or enforced them.

Still deflection because i haven't done a damn thing.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

Wasn't aware that i wrote laws or enforced them.

Still deflection because i haven't done a damn thing.

admit that there is a MAJOR problem prosicuting the rich
and a major problem with over prosicutions of the poor.

i think you need to clean your glasses a bit,
its quite simple to understand,
there is a disproportionate number of poor people in jail when compared to the rich,
that canot be argued

you use madoff as a excuse for this obvious mathmatical fact,
now we could debate as to WHY this is,

but 1 madoff does not make "things equal" in numbers incarcerated

xploder

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join