It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Met a Marine Corp Captain Today

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
My job places me in the homes of people from all walks of life, of every persuasion, ethnicity, religious belief and socio-economic stratum. Sales of equipment necessitate establishing some modicum of commonality and trust.

Due to my uncommon combination of life experience, education and travels, it comes easy to find something we have in common and most people recognize my sincere desire to help them find a solution whether it is through my company or not. As a result, I earn people's trust and they feel comfortable sharing with me things they may never tell a complete stranger.

Today I met a retired United States Marine Captain. On the surface he fit the mold of an imposingly large and confident man who projected an air of being "high and tight" or "squared away." I imagine in his line of work any indication of emotional sensitivity would be seen as a weakness.

During the course of our conversation, I learned he is the father of an 8 year old daughter with severe developmental disabilities. His wife is an active duty officer and is often stationed over seas placing much of the responsibility of managing his daughter's affairs squarely on his shoulders. Those duties include being an advocate with respect to medical treatments and schooling.

What struck me as exceptional was the dedication he showed for his child out of a deep love for this helpless girl. Although the duties could have certainly been delegated to a qualified care-giver and a careful routine be established to ensure the highest quality care, particularly given his earning potential that he could undoubtedly afford as either a captain or a civillian contractor, no care-giver on earth could provide the love only a father knows.

Sitting before me was a man that society has trained to be the ultimate warrior able to rain down all the fury of Hell on villages in Afganistan with ruthless efficiency with the most advanced technology the world has ever known. He has proven himself having risen through the ranks to be of consider financial value earning a salary well into the six figures.

Yet instead, he described to me an immensly fulfilling satisfaction of bringing his talents to bear on a school board meeting using his considerable ability to communicate and his understanding of hierarchical organizations to prevent the closing of his daughter's school. His satisfaction was due to the certainty that he was handing down to his daughter the skills she will need to defend herself in our selfish competitive and often brutal world.

What he found in me was another father able to appreciate the sacrifices he had made and a man able to share the emotional burden he carries that is of immense importance yet no financial value to our current society. We have become a country of perpetual war attracting the nation's best and brightest to create misery all over the world, dedicating enormous resources to the effort. While at the same time becoming obsessed with the cutting of resources dedicated to educating and caring for our legacy, leaving the jobs of teacher and therapist to the least and dimmest of our country.

Eventually the topic turned to spirituality. Although I am no evangelist per say, I do not shrink back from the topic of my personal experience. I emphasized my conviction that God has a reason for every child born with disabilities and he may have no idea how many families he has helped by simply being an example of how each of us should be grateful of the burdens bared by others.

He told me at the end that he firmly believes our country stands on the very cusp, the bleeding edge if you will, of a transformational event the world can scarcely imagine and it is the only thing that brings him fear for it is the only thing over which he can exert no control. The mention of provisions and a bug-out bag brought knowing nods.

I left him with the understanding of my church which has completely extinguished in me, all fear of the future no matter what "Times" we may be living in and that is; Regardless the day or hour, we have been given a code of conduct by a living example and so long as we follow that which we know in our hearts to be right and good that our loving God shall provide for us just as he provides for the sparrows who have no provisions stored in a bunker and He clothes the lillies in royal garments even though they have no bug-out bags.

Although I did not make a sale, I made a friend but much much more important was the satisfaction I have recieved for learning that nobody had ever explained the approach to the "End Times" in just that way and I had lifted from his shoulders an unbearable burden wondering what was to become of his child born to an elderly father.

Something good is coming people! Look into your hearts and you will see it is becoming more difficult to hate. It's is becoming more difficult to justify war. No matter if you buy every single thing the happy person on TV has, you will find no joy there as it is a fraud. It's a deceitful trick meant to distract you from the true meaning of life so the hateful oligarchs profiting on misery paid for by American taxpayers will continue to go unnoticed.

WE LOVE EACH OTHER!
edit on 15-5-2012 by zarp3333 because: spelling

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Amen my brother.
It is all about those connections we make with others that makes humanity noble.
nicely written, and a nice cool breeze from the doom and gloom of 90% of the Threads.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

I enjoyed your story and fully understand how he feels in regards to his child. I was taken back when I read "He has proven himself having risen through the ranks to be of consider financial value earning a salary well into the six figures." A captain making six figures? Well if he was busted down before retirement or this is incorporating his possible civilian income than I suppose it is possible. Then again, that was not the point of the thread.

In the Marines there is always talk about "stuff about to hit the fan". That is the entire mindset of the average Marine. "Stay ready, so you never have to get ready", is a quote I heard A LOT.

The message delivered at the end of your post is very encouraging and it is shame that most people do not see it the same way. Overall, I would say this was one of the better written threads I have read in a long time and I thank you sincerely simply based on your use of grammar.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Your bug-out bag has already been packed for you. That which is coming is so good that the bad things coming before it are irrelevant in comparison. Thank you for an inspiring post.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Timical

You will have to forgive my lack of understanding of ranks/income. Given the staure of his home and the conversation of the job he gave up to care for his daughter full-time, he may have been a colonel.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
that just about rounds it all up....I swear it is getting easier and the load lighter....
Jesus can be my King anyday...after what He did...for all

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The sad part about this thread, other than my inability to tell a short story, is my perception that any mention of Jesus, dooms a thread. Wonder if it's just my perception?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Most people have a hard time dealing with the truth, even if its their own truth shrouded in insecurity that harbors the fears they feed ona daily basis of complacency.

There is a God, yet when most think of him they pin him to a human quality as a reflection of who we are, and not what he is or represents. I don't know what God is, but I know what he isn't. Whether you believe in Jesus and whether he ever lived or not makes no nevermind. The fact that you believe in him is what makes the difference.

The mind is a powerful tool in any application that when used properly with will and spirit intact you acheive great feats gifted by God or not. We are children of God, and the sibling within the spirit of Jesus (or whatever god you worship its the same prinicipal). God is inside of us all, that is the gift you see, the one no one truly recognizes.

Whatever happens on this earth understand that we are due for a great cleansing. One that will either lift us up to better know God, or one that will end with our demise.

i am not a religious man, yet this is my understanding of what God is....he is everywhere, all things. Because im not religious does not mean that I do not believe in a higher authority. Good only comes from within a humbled soul.

Do onto others with respect and just action and you shall reap the rewards of such nobility and hold to honor. Thats what counts in life.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
The sad part about this thread, other than my inability to tell a short story, is my perception that any mention of Jesus, dooms a thread. Wonder if it's just my perception?

Nope, Felt doomed as soon as you mentioned
"church" and "jesus".

Neither of which I subscribe to.

Thanks for sharing anyway though.

Everything will turn out exactly as it should for everyone.
No argument there, I just don't attribute it to "god" and/or "jesus".

Peace

edit on 16-5-2012 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
peace and love dude,same message to all i meet for a year now

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

S&F for you.

I have friends in the service, I have also lost friends in the service, some of the best and brightest dying in foreign lands and for what?

Look what happened when just one of those men stood against a school board? he made a difference, no wonder we are at war, gotta keep these types, the "make a difference" types busy and dying else where, where there efforts can't be made here at home.

Military service attracts a certain type of people by definition, people who aren't content to sit and watch.

top topics

join