It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if...(Everyone 40 and older, please answer)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Learn the true meaning of freedom,
then you would not have to ask this question.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You sound like you're well off based on the T1 and parents taking care of the loans comments. I'd guess that you've probably traveled quite a bit, already right?

If not,
1. See the world. If you can work for a company that will send you all over, even better. If I had one regret, it's that I haven't been outside of my own hemisphere.

2. Don't use credit cards to buy anything that you can't pay cash for. That might sound strange, but the only reason to use a credit card is for tracking purchases and getting points.

3. Don't financially support a girlfriend, ever.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

From the information you have provided about yourself and your life....I personally think that you have a very good life and that you are headed in the right direction. You are fine just as you are!

I bet that eventually you will have an awesome career as a lawyer!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I would recommend you work on your education and career first. Money can't buy happiness, but having little or no money is miserable. Have a few healthy hobbies in your free time. Stay away from drugs, alcohol and tobacco. Learn how to play an instrument, exercise and eat healthy.

Love is important but can be and has been the downfall of many. Avoid unhealthy relationships. Do not let your personal life interfere too much with professional life. If you notice your ability to function at work is being affected then take steps and precautions to prevent that from becoming a serious problem.

Find a balance between career and family. Develop healthy relationships. Have a long engagement before getting married. Plan if / when you want to have children. Treat your partner with love and respect. Treat them as an equal. Learn to have patience and how to compromise with each other.

Never stop learning and seeking knowledge, truth, wisdom, spirituality. Take time out to enjoy life. Appreciate what you have. Quality over quantity. Think positive, be kind. Say less, do more.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

(1) If you are career-minded, don't get suckered into a relationship at an early age that will slow you down (marriage, having kids, etc)

(2) Never borrow money unless it's absolutely necessary

(3) Always try to live somewhat below your means so that your bank account will always have more and never less

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I'm turning 40 this year.
So I've been there.
What I find myself regretting most are missed opportunities.

First off figure out what you want to do or get out of life.
Then go out and do it.
Don't let anything stop you.
did I mention.
Don't let anything stop you?

for example.
If you want to go to europe and study then go to europe and study.

The trick is noticing the opportunities that life throws your way. If you can see them you are golden.

Regret sucks. I wish I would of done more in my life.
And I'll never get those opportunities again.
Don't let anyone hold you back.
Good luck.

oh and i forgot this.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

If you think you can do it you will. Be positive always.
edit on 16-5-2012 by grey580 because: addes quote

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Geeze never considered myslef as an elder however what i have learned in this short life thus far is

1. Alway stay in touch with friends
2. Despite market crashes from time to time unless you are going to sock money away in your mattress invest in a Roth IRA and as soon as you start accumlating some steady income get involved in other areas of financial planning. Don't rely on one retirement plan to keep you a float.
3. Surround yourself quite simply with successful people..ditch the negative friends as they will inevitably not celebrate in your accomplishments and at your age you already have a good idea on who's got their act together.
4. Religion although important to some may not be to others...but remember the importance of Karma and that's pretty tough if you are looking to become a lawyer...(that was for the elder reference)
5. Don't hold a grudge...accept your faults
6. Don't get upset when people do not rise to your level of expectation as everyone works on a different gear
7. Don't wait to have children in your late thirties...under 32 is ideal as you want to be around with them as long as you can...I wish I had my two children at an earlier age..
8. Try to do one good dead a week with the expectation of not being thanked or acknowledged
9. Always find time for your friends and don't let a male or female partner get in the way of your friends...love can be great but don't neglect your friends.
10. Get off facebook if you are going into areas of law
11. Realize that some people are just the way they are and you can't fix that
12. Find the best in folks you will eventually work with and make their qualities (work ethics) your own

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Follow your dreams, no matter what!!! Take every oppertunity/adventure that comes accross your path. NEVER get stuck, if you get tired of law, get out! Use your talents, all of them. Do what you love.

Trust me, by the time you're 40, you will regret everything you could have done! At my age (42 nearly 43) your mind is still young, your body not as much. Oppertunities are less. It's not easy to wake up and realize that you wasted your youth. I did.

20 years pass much faster than you think!!! It's not a long time at all. Enjoy those 20 years and live YOUR dreams!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It's a lot easier said than done but, if I could have the last 25 years back (I'm 45 now) I would try not to worry so much about events that are totally out of my control. As you get older you notice that as one scare ends, another replaces it. Better just not to stress about any of it.
I was in hospital several years ago and seriously thought my time was up, even the doctors and nurses said they couldn't help me; at that moment I realised that the stuff we stress the most over (when we are well) ie. money, bills, deadlines, work etc. etc. are the least important things of all; and what really matters the most is stuff that we take for granted (probably because it's free) ie. friends, family, having a good laugh and just enjoying the wonders that are all around us at all times.
I wish I had more money and been successful but how much is enough? I'm sure things would have been a lot easier if I hadn't spent so much time worrying.
My advice to you is to try hard to be successful at whatever you desire, but don't let it get in the way of living and loving. And don't let the politics of the world stress you out.
Good luck, enjoy your time.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Do what makes you happy, no matter where that road takes you. Life will thorw a curve in the road so always be prepared for the obsurd. Never take unnecessary risks always think your way through it.

Don't let the things you have no control over stress you out....in the end my friend all that is really important in this life is the fact that your alive...if you can take it as it comes...everything else is a cake walk.

Don't let pride get in the way of principal, develop conviction and stay true to who you are. And don't ever let someone else you cannot do something because it goes against the grain.

Walk with your head up at all times but be humble. Do what needs to be done and worry about the details later. Most importantly make a choice, even if its t he wrong one. Right or wrong make a decision, you cannot be held as hesitant.

Make sure you know what it is you want in life and make it happen, even if its something like basket weaving.

uphold honor and respect for your fellow man in all that you do, and do not deal with superficiality on any level.

most of all.......remember that life just happens and no plan is fullproof.

You are heading into a world that has been marred with inequality, pick your battles carefully and dont be duped by the system.

If you have a spiritual belief hold true to it with an open mind and do right by others and karma will take care of the rest.

Set up your foundation now and wory about women/men later......

And the absolute most important thing on the entire planet, learn to live off the land, learn the ways of old, learn as much as you can about a great many different things you'd never conceive of. knowledge is power. Even a martial art will do you justice in the way of forming mind with body, not just how to fight. learn new concepts and think outside the box.

And don't take sh*t from nobody, respect given is respect earned.....period....no matter who it is.....

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Forget all about that macho sh!t, and learn how to play guitar.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You know what? The world was a lot different when I was 21, and so was I. We humans think differently when we're 13 as opposed to when we were 7. The same for 21 and 13. And 35 and 21. Whether it be through body chemistry or acquiring knowledge, we keep changing. At 57 I cannot think the way did when I was 21. When I think back on my goals and desires, they all seem so silly now.

So, how can I suggest anything except, try to enjoy the ride of life as best you can.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Stop worrying about the years ahead of you. Life has a way of lifting you up, then smacking your arse right back down.. The years ahead of you will be peaks & valleys, the metal of any man is how he handles the climb of the peak times, and the spiral of the down times.

Find something you love to do, figure out a way to get paid for it & life will take care of itself. Live your life each day as if it's your last. One day it will be. Would you rather be remembered for the law firm you built? Or the laugh that was infectious to all around you? I'm 49 yrs old & have kids a couple years older than you.
edit on 18-5-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join