It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saw My First Lightening Bug Tonight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
How odd,is it June or July?
I don't usually see these guys till then.
Just a little early,not a biggie,but odd.

Of course ,we had a very mild winter,and have been warned that it never got cold enough to kill all the bugs in our area of Kentucky.

Ticks have seem to be bad also,early.

Just read something today that they can predict how much warmer North America could become.

For the first time, researchers have been able to build a consensus between different regional climate models using spatial statistics. In this image (above), the color red indicates regions of North America for which the statistical analysis indicates a 97.5 percent probability that average temperatures will rise by at least 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) by 2070. Image by Noel Cressie and Emily Kang, courtesy of Ohio State University.

phys.org...

Just a little bit of warming,not much.
But enough to notice certain changes in your surroundings,for now.

I also noticed that the Magnolia trees have bloom a little early also.
Been here 11 years,and they usually start blooming in early June.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I saw my first one forty-something years ago.

Seriously, you are seeing them earlier than normal. I haven't spotted any in Eastern PA yet this year. When I was a child, I remember them coming out in late June/early July.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I saw my first one forty-something years ago.

Seriously, you are seeing them earlier than normal. I haven't spotted any in Eastern PA yet this year. When I was a child, I remember them coming out in late June/early July.

Yes! Around the Fourth of July.
I saw one tonight,and my thought was to post it in the UFO forum.

But,seriously,it is a tad bit early for them here.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Wanted to chime in here...I had actually seen fireflies over Easter weekend. Thought to myself that it seemed kinda early. Also, wanted to add that I saw bats flitting around in late March. I don't usually see them til (what seems to me) much later...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by edaced4
Wanted to chime in here...I had actually seen fireflies over Easter weekend. Thought to myself that it seemed kinda early. Also, wanted to add that I saw bats flitting around in late March. I don't usually see them til (what seems to me) much later...

Yes the bats.
I haven't opened my pool yet,that is when I have the pool light on,attracting the flying insects,thus attracting the bats.
But the lightening bugs usually happen after that,after Memorial day at the earliest.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Been seeing them for a few weeks now. I noticed in Feb. frogs croaking in the very early morning. That startled me. Really, seems this year there is a lot of bursting through of life earlier than anticipated. But still nights are a little tender on tomato plants which don't generally get set out till late May, but are able to already endure the mild overnights. Go figure.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I haven't seen a Lightening Bug for 2 years.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by chevy369
I haven't seen a Lightening Bug for 2 years.

You are more apt to see them in places where there are meadows and lawns that are not chemically treated with pesticides to kill grubs. the larval stage of the firefly is a grub that feeds in lawns. If you live in an affluent suburb where everyone has to have a perfect lawn, there may be a shortage of fireflies.

top topics

join