It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Watson Of The Sea Shephard Has Been Arrested In Germany

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
reply to post by Shirak

Read the thread.

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

From the horses mouth....

In “Earthforce!,” Watson advises readers to make up facts and figures when they need to, and to deliver them to reporters confidently...

Neptune’s Navy

Read the quote from the article again sunshine.

In “Earthforce!,” Watson advises readers to make up facts and figures when they need to, and to deliver them to reporters confidently, “as Ronald Reagan did.” Watson possesses Reagan’s intuitive grasp of the media, and, like Reagan, at times he seems astray in the labyrinth of his own illusions. Read more www.newyorker.com...

The only quotes used in the assumption given by the writer of your article are the Title of "Earthforce" and a selective quote "as Reagan did" Perhaps you should read my signature to get an idea of what i'm getting at. You actually quoted an article by by Raffi Khatchadourian who wrote a highly critical and biased article about Captain Paul. You have taken his opinion as evidence. Please mate do your research and deny ignorance.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

edit on 16-5-2012 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Who's business is it if
people want to eat whales.??

Obviously most americans would CHOOSE
not to.. I certaintly wouldn't eat it. Who the hell
are you people to say they can't eat whales?

Who the hell does skipper paul think he is
Obviously the *research law* was put in place
as a loop hole... Go after the laws. Those
guys on the whaling ship are just trying to make
a living like skipper dimwit paul and i am sure
he makes 3000% what those fisherman get.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Are you denying Paul Watson said exactly what was quoted?

"If you don't know an answer, a fact, a statistic, then [. . .] make it up on the spot and deliver the information confidently and without hesitation."

Stated in his book, Earthforce! An Earth Warrior’s Guide to Strategy, 1993, p. 43.

Comment: In Earthforce! An Earth Warrior’s Guide to Strategy, Watson expressed disdain for truthfulness in the pursuit of environmental protection goals. Said he, "The nature of the mass media today is such that the truth is irrelevant. What is true and what is right to the general public is what is defined as true and right by the mass media." Clearly telling the truth is a low priority for Mr. Watson. He published Earthforce!, in 1993, and in it, specifically endorsed the tactics of "monkeywrenching," including sabotage, covert activity, and direct action.

Alphabetical Listing of Quoted Individuals: W.

I would also question your self righteous hypocrisy regarding your self appointed ecological stewardship of Macquarie Island which you so vehemently claim to be protecting from exploitation by the Japanese...

The ecology of the island was affected soon after the beginning of European visits to the island in 1810. The island's fur seals, elephant seals and penguins were killed for fur and blubber.

Rats and mice that were inadvertently introduced from the ships prospered due to lack of predators. Cats were subsequently introduced deliberately to keep the rodents from eating human food stores. In about 1870, rabbits were left on the island by sealers to breed for food. By the 1970s, the then 130,000 rabbits were causing tremendous damage to vegetation.

The feral cats introduced to the island have had a devastating effect on the native seabird population, with an estimated 60,000 seabird deaths per year. From 1985, efforts were undertaken to remove the cats. In June 2000, the last of the nearly 2500 cats were culled in an effort to save the seabirds. Seabird populations responded rapidly, but rats and rabbits continued to cause widespread environmental damage.

The rabbits rapidly multiplied before numbers were reduced to about 10,000 in the early 1980s when myxomatosis was introduced. Rabbit numbers had then grown again to over 100,000 by 2006.

The rodents feed on young chicks while rabbits nibbling on the grass layer has led to soil erosion and cliff collapses, destroying seabird nests. Large portions of the Macquarie Island bluffs are eroding as a result.

In September 2006 a large landslip at Lusitania Bay, on the eastern side of the island, partially destroyed an important penguin breeding colony. Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service attributed the landslip to a combination of heavy spring rains and severe erosion caused by rabbits.

Macquarie Island

Perhaps you should worry about cleaning up your own mess before trying to force your obviously flawed ecological values on others.

I would also add that if Paul Watson is the best you can do for a national hero then you in dire need of exposure to the rest of the world.
edit on 16-5-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: Sp

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Who's business is it if

Don't make it sound like hes going after poor destitute fishermen. To put it in perspective a grant of 30 million Tsunami donated dollars was just granted to these downtrodden pillagers of Australian fishing waters. These are very large corporations in many instances. Corporations which are non to popular in Australia. Just wondering why you are fighting their fight?
Even if you were a fisherman yourself I wouldn't have thought you would support poaching and fishing in wildlife reserves in your countries waters unless you yourself were employed by a poacher/illegal fisher hmmmm?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak

Who's business is it if

Don't make it sound like hes going after poor destitute fishermen.

WHAT?

That is exactly what the hell he is doing!!
The guys who own these whaling ships
are not on the damn boat, the people who put
the *research whaling laws aren't either, who is?
Little mushiki trying to feed his wife and 3 kid's..
Mushiki then has got skipper dimwit and crew of ass holes
throwing stuff at them, endangering their lifes, and practically
trying to kill them for their own agenda,
going after the wrong damn people.
GET REAL
edit on 16-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by Shirak

Actually they are fishing illegally in Australian waters and the Gov won't do anything about it as they don't want to upset our trade deals.

No, they are not.

They do refuel and refit in Australia and New Zealand though.

By that one comment you have shown your ignorance of the real situation.
It is well documented through our media that it happens.
Japanese fleet ordered to leave Australian waters
Unlike Americas BP tainted waters and Japans radioactive sea we enjoy healthy fish and marine life which is treasured in our culture we want to keep it that way.

Are you talking about the toxic nightmare at the bottom of Sydney Harbour and up the Paramatta River? Or maybe you are referring to the toxic sludge at the bottom of the Yarra River? It could be that I have completely stuffed in my assumptions and you are in fact talking about the salinated Murray-Darling ecosystem? Nope, then you must be talking about the millions of litres of raw sewerage dumped straight into the Hawksbury River with official permission from both the Kurringai and Gosford city councils.

Don't kid yourself. Here in Australia we have some major environmental issues, legacies from previous generations that were never thought to be "that bad". Most of the roads of Sydney are made with a road-base that is radioactive and I know of many other families like my own who told their children to never walk around Sydney(and its suburbs) barefoot.

Ever wonder why its happening? Its because they bled dry their own resources soon the parasite mentality of certain contingents of humanity will wreck it for our descendants.

Cheer up. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.

I dare you to take a swim in the gulf or off the coast of Japan. Don't look after your own backyard and soon you'll have nothing left.

Would that be akin to Maralinga or Woomera?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Again you have provided a quote and a spin from a different author as to the intention of the quote. The spin given is almost identical to the previous article you quoted.

If you actually read the and comprehended what he was referring to in his comment you would see that he was referring to exactly this type of thing. Media put spin on information and present it as fact just as you have by quoting a secondary authors analysis of a few sentences from his book. You have demonstrated this 2 times.
FYI you have quoted a Wiki style article this time.
The In his quoted observation is a commentary on the mass media.

"The nature of the mass media today is such that the truth is irrelevant. What is true and what is right to the general public is what is defined as true and right by the mass media. "

Lets chop it to make it sound diabolical and out of context.
"the truth is irrelevant."
ok lets play around with another one.
“If you do not know an answer, a fact, or a statistic, then simply follow the example of an American President and do as Ronald Reagan did—make it up on the spot and deliver the information confidently and without hesitation.”
He refers to that comment in another book where he explains the point for those less astute.
Another commentary on the state of the media and what goes on taken out of context it sounds like an instruction to do so.

"Survival in a media culture meant developing the skills to understand and manipulate media to achieve strategic objectives."

Comprehension skills are required when processing information. If you are biased against someone all you will ever see is negative aspects from their message and miss the whole point.

You have simply and again demonstrated your lack of understanding on the subject matter here. Hang on once more for the point .
"You have again demonstrated your" "understanding on the subject matter here"

As for your second point Australia actually used to whale in our waters as well... Then we evolved.

Your data dump on the ecological issues facing that particular island is comprehensive but not to the point of discussing and only another attempt at mudslinging.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Are you familiar with Carl Sagan's treatise on proper scientific method and critical or skeptical thinking The Demon-Haunted World?

He presents a set of tools he calls a baloney detection kit, one of its premises is...

Weasel words - for example, use of euphemisms for war such as "police action" to get around limitations on Presidential powers. "An important art of politicians is to find new names for institutions which under old names have become odious to the public"

or to quote Shakespeare "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Spin it how you like, the meaning is clear.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

This is the very sentiment that will keep humans in war, poverty, greed and self destruction. It's backward thinking, equating man with the god of all things on earth. We're not.

It's that thinking that gives one man imagined power over another. One will always be weaker, therefore subservient. One will stockpile wealth while another scrapes for scraps. Why? Because the arrogant attitude of ME ME ME outweighs in the mind, the welfare of others.

Why can't I eat whale. Who cares about whales. They were put on this earth for one sole purpose alone, that is for me to eat. Who the hell are YOU to tell ME I cannot eat whale/dog/cat/homeless people/ugly people/old people/babies/etc.

It's all the same. Only the imposition of law to force a moral guideline prevents the absurd from happening.... and it's not even stopped criminal cannibals.

Love and light, hahaha.. the only love in this world is the love for ones self.. and the only light, is that which shines out of their arses.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
hmm I have to admit whale tastes really good... and I never liked Sea Sheperd

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
I totally agree with there stance against the Japanese issue but this new season (I havent watched any of them) my Significant other says there basically attacking a Village who actually needs to eat Whales to survive.

Oh, get outta here ... what a pathetic runt.

You go to a war on the world, without declaring a war ... murder hundreds of thousands of people, and you think somebody bumping another ship is a bad guy? That's "almost" funny ...

And then you come and claim somebody out there has so little food to eat, they just HAVE to go and kill whales ...

wow!

If you really feel so sorry for them, why don't you ship some of that extra food you Americans over there ... it would do you Americans some good, to have less to eat. Seeing all of those fat pigs running around in the US of A, pepper spraying people is pathetic to say the least.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjarneorn

Originally posted by hoochymama
I totally agree with there stance against the Japanese issue but this new season (I havent watched any of them) my Significant other says there basically attacking a Village who actually needs to eat Whales to survive.

Oh, get outta here ... what a pathetic runt.

You go to a war on the world, without declaring a war ... murder hundreds of thousands of people, and you think somebody bumping another ship is a bad guy? That's "almost" funny ...

And then you come and claim somebody out there has so little food to eat, they just HAVE to go and kill whales ...

wow!

If you really feel so sorry for them, why don't you ship some of that extra food you Americans over there ... it would do you Americans some good, to have less to eat. Seeing all of those fat pigs running around in the US of A, pepper spraying people is pathetic to say the least.

Personal attacks and redirection are signs of a weak argument.......

read the facts.........

read maritime law......

Read up on what Paul has said in his own statements......

Just because "someone else is doing one thing" doesnt make it right for someone else to do another......that argument is flawed logic......

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I have to disagree with you.
There is no guarantee damage won't happen from carrying out such an act.

ATS armchair activists
Can't even sign a petition around here without violating T&C

Operation Divine Wind: 768 whales saved... ...Of the Minke Whale Kill quota of 935 whales, 266 whales were killed. Of the Fin Whale quota of 50, only 1 was killed. Of the Humpback Whale quota of 50 there were zero kills. Sea Shepherd chased the Japanese whaling fleet for 17,000 miles and kept two of their three harpoon ships out of the game as they kept the Nisshin Maru constantly running. Operation Divine Wind has been a major success!

768 whales saved.

Not bad no matter what you think of the Captain

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Who's business is it if

You missed the fact of Whaling in one case being undertaken in a Whale Sanctuary.

Whale Sanctuary.

There is no loophole, its being exploited via corruption and the monkeys that are voted into positions which they are not fit for in many country's.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

ATS armchair activists
Can't even sign a petition around here without violating T&C

Operation Divine Wind: 768 whales saved... ...Of the Minke Whale Kill quota of 935 whales, 266 whales were killed. Of the Fin Whale quota of 50, only 1 was killed. Of the Humpback Whale quota of 50 there were zero kills. Sea Shepherd chased the Japanese whaling fleet for 17,000 miles and kept two of their three harpoon ships out of the game as they kept the Nisshin Maru constantly running. Operation Divine Wind has been a major success!

Not bad no matter what you think of the Captain

Again, I say there would have been a "harpoon accident" for sure if I were one of these Captains.

Zip in front of my ship in a zodiac and me with a harpoon grenade...right. Zodiac loses every time. I'd laugh so hard to see that just once.

Acts of piracy on the high seas should be punished. A Captain can take any measure necessary to protect his vessel and crew from acts of piracy.

I guess if I needed a defense (like if any of them survied).

I'd even use their own videos against them on court.

"See there your honor they are erratically zipping between the target and the harpooner...."

"Clearly an accident...."

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somamech

There is no loophole, its being exploited via corruption and the monkeys that are voted into positions which they are not fit for in many country's.

So go after them then, going after the fisherman
wont stop it. If the fisherman quit they will just
be replaced by other fisherman, their not the problem.
Skipper paul endangering the lives of these fisherman
is more of a problem then their BS *for the whales*
money macking scheme.

edit on 17-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Honestly after reading your comment, I'm with the guy and his banner over the free-way

Get a grip on reality and what's going on

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

You miss the whole point of WHO is Pirating in your argument.

In the case of the topic in this thread, Sea Shepherd were asked to help in Costa Rica via the Government, and then due to a Corrupt Government via Taiwanese money the Sea Shepherds were shut down doing what they were initially invited To DO.

Good luck with that fishing that was once abundant. In some parts of the world they make Plaques for people just like you to live out the golden days when fish were abundant

Fishing decline prompts memorial to industry

www.abc.net.au...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somamech
You missed the fact of Whaling in one case being undertaken in a Whale Sanctuary.

Whale Sanctuary.

There are two sides to that coin...

Japan has argued that the establishment of the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary was in contravention of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) on which the IWC is based and is therefore illegal.

This view received strong support from Professor W. T. Burke of the University of Washington in his paper circulated as IWC Document Number IWC/48/33. He refers to Article V(2) of the ICRW, which states that the creation of any sanctuary must "be based on scientific findings" and "take into consideration the interests of the consumers of whale products and the whaling industry".

Furthermore, Dr. Douglas Butterworth, University of Cape Town, has suggested that the sanctuary in "the Southern Ocean a transparent attempt to prevent the resumption of whaling on the 750,000 strong Antarctic Minke population for reasons which have nothing to do with science."As there is no settlement procedure in the IWC for this type of dispute, Japan has asked the IWC to submit its case to a relevant legal body for analysis. The IWC has refused to do so.

Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary

In Article VIII of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW), the Contracting Parties have an unrestricted right to take whales for scientific research. Japan is a signatory to this Convention.

When the commercial whaling moratorium was introduced in 1982, the main reason the anti-whaling nations gave for its introduction was the uncertainty surrounding the scientific data then available. In other words, they argued that safe management of whales was not possible because knowledge of the number of whales, age composition, sex ratio, and natural mortality rate was ambiguous.

The research catch by Japan was launched to answer such questions and resolve the uncertainties.

Many members of the IWC Scientific Committee recognize the importance of the research, and value highly their results. However, during the past several years, the IWC anti-whaling majority has repeatedly passed resolutions calling on Japan to reconsider the current research catch and insisting that research should be limited to non-lethal methods.

Anti-whaling proponents have tried to label the research catch as commercial whaling in disguise, but this is a tactic to discredit the research effort.

In the research program, the vessels are run on a predesigned track formulated by scientists, and conduct surveys and collects specimens such as earplug and ovaries. After scientific examination and removal of tissue and organ samples, the remains of the whales are frozen and marketed in compliance with the provisions of the Convention, which forbid any part of the carcass to be wasted. However, as the cost of research is expensive, the proceeds from sales of whale meat and parts alone cannot cover the costs. The Government of Japan pays the remainder of the costs.

The research is carried out by the Institute of Cetacean Research (ICR), a semi-governmental organization of the Japan Fisheries Agency, established in 1987.

Is the research being undertaken by Japan in the Southern Ocean an illegal activity not authorised by the International Whaling Commission?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join