It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Watson Of The Sea Shephard Has Been Arrested In Germany

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think its pretty pittiful that the japaneese are illegally fishing whales in the antartic sanctuary, and officials from many countries are sitting on their ass watching paul watson and his group of amateurish but committed youngsters do all the work.

Then the trolls flood the internet forumns to blame Paul Watson for being a hero. Paul Watson was the founder of Greenpeace but apparently got disgusted from the lack of concern shown by Greenpeace and thus formed his own dedicated group to do what greenpeace could not.

I actually think Paul Watson is very mild. If I had his money I would have bought 1-2 small submarines and torpedoed the heck out of those vessels. Sure I would go to jail but without much disgrace. Being disgraced is worse than being locked up by some hypocritical state.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by stanguilles7

Tell me this isn't endangering lives:

So is this:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Holy [SNIP]!

I've never seen this clip, I don't care what people think, THAT is some reckless dangerous [SNIP] [SNIP] right there!

Excuse my French

edit on 15-5-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 16-5-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
I notice several claims (totally unsubstantiated) that Watson and the Sea Sheppard endanger people's lives. This isnt true. They trow butter at whalers, and have disabled a few ships in a way that prevents them from continuing to operate illegally. They have never damaged a ship in a way that has endangered crew. AT ALL...

...That's not what was stated. It was claimed that he has endangered other peoples lives. All you are saying is being on a ship is dangerous. Thats not the same thing AT ALL.

There is no question that Sea Sheppards tactics put human life at risk and it is amazing that nobody has been killed yet.

Purposefully ramming vessels in the Antartic is frightening and idiotic as is encouraging idealistic kids with few sea skills to board an inflatable zodiac to harass a 500 ton ship in any condition much less ocean temperatures that kill in minutes.

Paul Watson was convicted in Norway in 1997 and has an outsanding warrant in Costa Rica for the attempted murder of a fisherman. A long, but far from complete, list of his and the Sea Shepherd's crimes are detailed below:

1979: An S.S. ship rams the whaling ship "Sierra".

1980: The "Sierra" is sunk in Lisbon harbor. S.S. claims responsibility.

1981: The S.S. claims to have sunk two whaling vessels, "Ilsa I" and "Ilsa II".

1986: S.S. activists ordered to leave Faroese waters during whale harvest. Ignoring the order, Faroese police try to board the S.S. S.S. crew fires a line rifle and throw signal flares at police dingy. Petrol was poured into the water around the dingies and flares were used in what was preceived by the police to be an attempt to set the petrol on fire.

1986: The S.S. claims responsbility for the sinking of two Icelandic veseels and damage performed against an Icelandic whaling station.

1988: Paul Watson demands to be taken into custody in Iceland for the sinking which took place in 1986. He later recants his confession.

1991: A U.S. fisherman reports his vessel being rammed by an S.S. vessel.

1992: The S.S. makes three failed attempts at ramming Costa Rica fishing vessels.

1993: Paul Watson, captaining the S.S. vessel "Edward Abby", orders his crew to open fire on a Japanese fishing veseel. The crew refuses. The encounter can be seen in the 1993 documentary "Ocean Rider - Defenders of the Wild".

1993: The S.S. claims to have sunk 8 vessels and rammed and/or damaged 6 others.

1997: Paul Watson convicted in Norway and imprisoned in Netherlands for scuttling of a whaling vessel and ramming of a Norweigan coast guard vessel.

Despite considerable proof, pro-S.S. activists still try to deny this fact. Here are two Pro-S.S. sites that confirm this piece of the Sea Shepherd's sordid history.

Intekom.com
Whales.org

2002: Arrest warrent issued in Costa Rica for Paul Watson for attempted murder and destruction or property resulting from an altercation with a Costa Rican fishing vessel.

2002: "We should never feel like we're going too far in breaking the law" - Paul Watson, Animal Rights convention 2002

2008: The S.S. vessel "Farley Mowat" is confiscated and two members of the crew arrested.

2009: Two S.S. crew convincted in Canada for their 2008 crimes. (note: this conviction was passed down AFTER Paul's comment to Larry King)

2010: Peter Bethune is convicted in Japan of all five counts he's charged with including assault, trespassing and vandalism.

2010: Paul Watson put on Interpol's wanted list.

From wiki whose editing is sympathetic to Sea Sheppard's cause...

According to its mission statement, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society "uses innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document, and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities on the high seas".

Those actions have included scuttling and disabling commercial whaling vessels at harbor, ramming other vessels, throwing glass bottles of butyric acid on the decks of vessels at sea, boarding of whaling vessels while at sea, and seizure and destruction of drift nets at sea.

As of 2009, Paul Watson has said that the organization has sunk ten whaling ships while also destroying millions of dollars worth of equipment.

Their practice of attacking and sinking other ships has led to reports of injuries to other sailors as well as the Sea Shepherd crew, including concussions and complications from chemical attacks

Lies of the sea shepherd

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

I hope Germany complies with Costa Rico's extradition request and lock Paul Watson in prison.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

All Paul Watson has to do, is film the crime being committed and then pass on the footage to officials in the home-port of the boat.

Yeah the costa rican government LMAO!

How many tons of coc aine do they traffic into mexico each year?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Are you trying to say that the Ady Gil, a small and maneuverable boat was rammed by a large, slow moving ship?

They steered the Ady Gil into the ship, plain and simple.

And further evidence of the recklessness of the members of Sea Shepard...under the watch of "captain" Paul Watson

edit on 15/5/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

reply to post by intrptr

Just hasn't sunk any ships

Salvagers have raised and refloated the two whaling ships scuttled in Reykjavik harbor by environmental activists.

''The boats popped up from the sandy harbor floor like a cork,'' Kristbjorn Thorarinsson, owner of the salvage company which contracted the job, said Tuesday.

The sabotage caused $2 million in damage, the Hvalur Whaling Company said. The 430-ton vessels, insured for $4 million each, were coated with heavy oil residues from leaks sprung in the scuttling.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, an international antiwhaling group, claimed responsibility for the Nov. 9 sabotage and for wrecking an unguarded whale-processing station 50 miles north of Reykjavik.

www.nytimes.com...

Okay... I didn't know that. However scuttling of a boat in harbor that is unmanned is not sinking in the sense I was referring to for purposes of Argument.

And a factory too, huh? Outstanding!

I'm all for that like I am for wrecking logging equipment on the Pacific west coast of US. So a thorn in the side of the planet killers.

You know if unchecked, these same will deforest, extinct and pollute the whole planet. Then we all suffer. I care less for these poor corporations and their profit margins than I do for the earth environment they destroy. Whats a few tractors or vessels if it convinces the greedy bastards to invest in another line of business?

Carry on Sea Sheperds !

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Aww dude. Watch it again (to the end) There is no wake on the vessel. The Sea Sheperds vessel was sitting still in the water and the crew were outside sitting on the hull. The Japanese vessel turned and advanced on the motionless vessel bearing down and closing to "disable" at the last moment. The Japanese deck crew hosed them down with water cannon as they passed by.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I have to disagree with you.

There is no guarantee damage won't happen from carrying out such an act.

And you base that assumption on what? a guess?

I've read extensive interviews with watson on this subject. Its quite difficult to sin a ship using another ship. It might look excessively dangerous to you, but it isnt. A ship is a big, metal object. It takes A LOT to sink it, and the Sea Sheppard uses very specific tactics to disable ships without endangering crew. Which is why they have never, everkilled someone. Ever. You cant pretend thats by chance over 3 decades.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

So why isn't some official body arresting the japanesse for illegally fishing whales in the antartic?

Somebody has to do the dirty work. Might as well be Paul Watson! We can give him his medal of honor afterwards although I feel he is too modest to accept it.

Carry on with you're trumped charges though. Its hillarious!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Aww dude. Watch it again (to the end) There is no wake on the vessel. The Sea Sheperds vessel was sitting still in the water and the crew were outside sitting on the hull. The Japanese vessel turned and advanced on the motionless vessel bearing down and closing to "disable" at the last moment. The Japanese deck crew hosed them down with water cannon as they passed by.

The Ady Gil was sitting in front of a much larger vessel idling her engines.

They are lucky that they are alive.

These vessels don't come with brakes and can take many hundreds of metres to stop or change course.

The Ady Gil however is a lightweight tri-hull with twin engines. Agile in the water and very easy to control.

There is no excuse for it being anywhere near the bow of the whaling vessel.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

You keep characterizing the sea shepherds actions as being dangerous. How do you square that with the fact that no one has ever died because of their actions, in over 30 years, if they are as dangerous as you claim?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

So why isn't some official body arresting the japanesse for illegally fishing whales in the antartic?

Somebody has to do the dirty work. Might as well be Paul Watson! We can give him his medal of honor afterwards although I feel he is too modest to accept it.

It has a lot to do with international law and the anti-whaling treaties that Japan did not sign.

Japan has chosen to opt out of being a part of the anti-whaling treaty so it could continue its whaling under the guise of "scientific research".

Personally, I don't have a problem with it as long as it remains sustainable.

When the industry takes more than the environment can handle, then we have a problem and should act accordingly . Until, that time....I see it as no different than any commercial fishing or farming operation.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

There is no excuse for it being anywhere near the bow of the whaling vessel.

I agree. Big ocean. If you watch the episode this is cut from you see how it developed. The Adi Gil had just made a run on the ship and they were sort of "celebrating". They stop the boat and sit on the hull congratulating each other. At that time the Japanese vessel was well away from the Adi Gil but then turned and bore down. At first the Adi Gil looks sheepish like what are they doing? Then as it gets closer they can't believe it and you see what happens.

Insinuating that they wanted to be purposefully rammed while sitting on their deck in the freezing antarctic ocean (without survival suits) is well... insinuating.

Here watch this one for a better perspective.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I hope Germany complies with Costa Rico's extradition request and lock Paul Watson in prison.

Well, they will have to prove the entirely baseless claims from known criminals, first.

This is a nonsense charge and will be thrown out, like all the others.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

You keep characterizing the sea shepherds actions as being dangerous. How do you square that with the fact that no one has ever died because of their actions, in over 30 years, if they are as dangerous as you claim?

Facepalm.

Did you not pay attention or are you purposefully being a troll?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Answer my question. IF what they are doing is as dangerous as you claim, then why have they not caused any deaths?

By your own definition, anyone driving on the freeway is 'endangering others lives'. Must be a scary world for you.

You clearly know NADA about how the sea sheppards tactics work, or even how a ship is built.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Wow, that's messed up. If someone was ramming a boat I was on, I would be firing more than a water cannon for sure......

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

The only governing body is the archaic International Whaling Commission (IWC). It was established after WWII.

In 1982 the IWC adopted a moratorium on commercial whaling. Currently, Japan, The Russian Federation and a number of other nations oppose this moratorium. The IWC allows non-zero whaling quotas for aboriginal subsistence and also member nations may issue 'Scientific Permits' to their citizens. Japan has issued such permits since 1986, Norway and Iceland whale under objection to the moratorium and issue their own quotas.
---
Traditionally, the IWC meets annually, usually in May or June. Meetings are composed of one voting representative (called a Commissioner) from each state party who may be accompanied by experts and advisors. They are generally extremely divisive — demonstrating a complete split on all major issues between the pro-whaling nations and their supporters and the anti-whaling nations.
---
IWC is a voluntary international organization and is not backed up by treaty. Therefore, the IWC, in essence, is a voluntary organization which has substantial practical limitations on its authority. First, any member countries are free to simply leave the organization and declare themselves not bound by it if they so wish.
---
Third, the IWC has no ability to enforce any of its decisions through penalty imposition.

International Whaling Commision

Emphasis added.

In a simplified nutshell, thats why Paul Watson and his Sea Sheperds do what they do. More power to them.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

It has a lot to do with international law and the anti-whaling treaties that Japan did not sign.

Japan has chosen to opt out of being a part of the anti-whaling treaty so it could continue its whaling under the guise of "scientific research".

Personally, I don't have a problem with it as long as it remains sustainable.

When the industry takes more than the environment can handle, then we have a problem and should act accordingly . Until, that time....I see it as no different than any commercial fishing or farming operation.

I agree, the whales that are harvested are not endangered and the numbers taken are sustainable.

Everything else is cultural hypocrisy, what right does Sea Sheppard have to force their cultural values on somebody else?

Whales are intelligent, so are pigs but I don't see anybody protesting pork ranches and sausage factories.

As Smart as the Primates

Intelligence research was done with pigs in the 1990s. One of the experiments was to train the pigs to move the cursor on a video screen with their snouts. When the pigs used the cursors again, they were able to distinguish between the scribbles they already knew, and the scribbles they were seeing for the first time. The pigs learned this skill as fast as the chimpanzees.

All species of pig are smarter than dogs, and capable of abstract representation. “They can hold an icon in their mind, and remember it at a later date,” says Professor Stanley Curtis of Penn State University, who discovered that pigs dominate at video games with joy sticks. Curtis goes on to say, “Pigs are able to focus with an intensity I have never seen in a chimp.”

The Intelligent Pig: The Smartest Domestic Animal in The World

Where is the outrage there?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join