It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy Balloons Become Part of the Afghanistan Landscape, Stirring Unease

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It was a typo and I corrected it. If you notice the time of correction:

oThu, 17 May 2012 03:57:19 -0500 by TH

It was before the post I am referring to right now. English is my first language, but if you want to make a thread on proper English make the thread and I will join.
edit on 043131p://5America/ChicagoThu, 17 May 2012 04:03:55 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Plus the only reason you are picking on typos and small grammatical mistakes is because NONE of you can defend the reason and justification for these balloons being their on Afghan land. It is part of the illegal oppression.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Alosyus you never answered my question:

Why do you think OBL attacked the USA,

Answer it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

My agenda is showing people the truth. You are just blind and can't see it. E=mc^2; but if you are blind and you cannot read nor understand you will reject it. Just because something is over your head and hard for you to understand does not make it false.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

but if you want to make a thread on proper English make the thread and I will join.

I would fail horribly in that endeavor. I was merely pointing out that attacking someone on duh engrish when you don't engrish very well is, what's the word, I'm trying to think up a big one... Bad. You say you were pointing out his hypocrisy, you weren't. I am pointing out yours.

I am probably going to report myself for being off topic in the majority of my posts. That and hyphen hating.

The balloons are rather disturbing. I would not appreciate their presence in my neighborhood, and understand why people are upset. Treating all the citizens in that country as if they are criminals is not right. They deserve the same respect we would afford to our neighbors. They are our neighbors. The world and law is no longer confined to specific geographical locations. We need to respect others, even if we disagree. I will start. OP I think this is a very good thread, and that you are right to worry.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well I starred you for that one. I agree with you finally.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I'm beginning to think that Afghanistan is also a testing ground for what is to be implemented in the USA. Lets see first drones, then this then that..

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I star you when I disagree frequently lol. I actually enjoy your threads and you put effort into your posts.

Um down range you say that you think Afghanistan is a testing ground. I agree with that. I think it was a money maker, a business cementer, and a very good way to test new technology. To me it seems like we need a war ever so often to test our capabilities and try out new toys. I don't feel safer or a sense that justice has been served. I feel awful so many civilians have died. While I appreciate the capability the US has, I feel it is counterproductive to employ at this time. We don't need more enemies. If I were sitting at home and China invaded and bombs killed my neighbors I would take up arms. We have created enemies for no reason.

Balloons. Screw 'em. I don't want to be watched. So often I hear, 'If you have nothing to hide don't worry.' Well, I have nothing to hide so why should I be watched? The sad truth is no one will really care until they get a drone speeding ticket. At that point it's too late.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Yawn
I really am disappointed in myself for giving you this much of my time
But ....
Yes you did ask me
Indirectly through your gov elections and public support at the time
Oppress !!!! Lmao
90% of afghanis WANT US THERE - that's a fact
I have regrettably killed an innocent yes
My first tried to rush a market in a car and due to the situation was perceived as a vehicle borne suicide bomber
It turned out he was only joking and thought it would be funny to accelerate towards a market screaming Allahu Akbar - his stupidity got him killed
The second was a woman being used as a human shield by an insurgent sniper who was picking off women trying to vote in the afghan elections

You've been where and done what ????

You don't defend the truth
You defend your OPPINION

Your post
My agenda is showing people the truth. You are just blind and can't see it. E=mc^2; but if you are blind and you cannot read nor understand you will reject it. Just because something is over your head and hard for you to understand does not make it false.

Erm just take a step back and turn that around dude

War is hell yes
And I'm not going to deny that illegal events have taken place as I have been involved with a few
However the is a difference between legalality and justice
And all were warranted as a lesser of two evils
Not something I'm proud of but know understand and accept why it was and had to be done

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
heres some real facts for you from 2 of my posts

oppression ?? really

Originally posted by Neocrusader
well hi peeps

considering recent events, and the backlash from them
considering some of the comments aimed at service personel
ive decided to share a little piece of one of my mates stan with you

now this may be a little different to what your used too ( dont ask me why people choose to make warie vids - meh they get the attention i suppose )
this however was produced by some brit troops that i supported on a few jobs and they provided my QRF on a few others

im even in it very briefly

damn what scumbag psycho baby killers they are

if anyone should ever have any questions about stan or any other place where we are or you think we may be
feel free to u2u me
edit on 15-3-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto

and

Ok a few FACTS just to help a few of you

Security

Dec 2009 ana= 105000 (afghan army)
Aug 2011 ana= 171000
Same dates but police
86000 and then 130000
(plan to total 305000 by end 2011)
Ana has grown by 50% since nov 09
19 women graduated afghan mil college in may 2011
Police - 133 women patrolmen 4 nco's 8 officers

First 6 months of 2011 civil deaths up to 1462 ( in that period )
80% to age's ( anti gov agencies )

Civil casualties by age up 28%
By isaf down 9%

Economy

GDP of afghan 2011 up 8%
2012 8.5 predicted

Elections

Sept 10 elections
2,500 candidates
249 seats
400 women candidates( up from 328)
5.6 million votes cast (1.3 mil discounted )
Voter turn out was 35% ( 2006 US congressional was 37% ! )
39% were female

92% of 5987 stations were open
30% of seats held by women (69 seats out of 249 in lower house and 23 out of 102 in upper house )

3000 voters in nad Ali compared to 300 in 2009

Counter narcotics
2009- 2010 48% drop in opium production
However due to prices
438 mil usd in 2009
604 mil usd in 2010
Global rankings in opium production down from 66% to 63%
( 92% 2007 88% 2009 )

3787 hectares destroyed by mid may 2011

April 10- march 11
358% increase in heroine seizures
Arrested 157
77 were insurgents

Education

Less than 1 mil in school in 2001
Now 7.3 mil 38% female
9000 new schools totalling 12,500
Over 200000 new teachers
A seven fold demand for education
2001 - 4 teacher colleges
Now 38 and 78 district centres

Health
80% now live past age 5
2200 midwives
85% live near Baisicly health care
Afghan has climbed up the human development index
2009 ranked 181 out of 182
2010 - 155 out of 169
Since fall of Taliban GDP tripled

Other

Ontop of schools and work

10000 attended a rock concert
75 tv channels
175 radio stations
( none under the Taliban )
Generally 59% say country is moving in right direction ( how many Americans can say that !)

Isaf enjoys 83% approval rating
Taliban under 10%

54% feel they can influence their gov

64% say they are happy with their mp

74% believe elections have improved the country

62% say they are more prosperous than 5 years ago

hmmm i think you need to re evaluate your possition on the afghanis thoughts and oppression

i love afghanistan ( hell its not like ive not spent enough time there)
i even semi plan to emigrate there when i retire lol
ive even invested $5000 of my own cash in a pomegranite farm in kandahar provence
im proud of the assistance ive given the afghan people
ive fed the hungry, watered the thirsty, treated the ill and wounded, ensured safety for hundreds if not thousands, cleared ied out of schools, provided clothing and blankets for the winter, the list goes on
i dont like war and often dissagree with the maner in which it has been approached and executed but i agree with why
perhaps if you spent some time listening to people that have actually been ( you know the ones that are privvy to information that you are not!) as opposed to what you see in the media you might just have your eyes opened

but i get the distinct impression the truth is the last thing your interested in
edit on 17-5-2012 by Neocrusader because: added

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I have to thank my wife (and Slayer) for the excellent breakfast I just had: Black Silk coffee, cinnamon rolls, and a side order of Professional Pwnage!

Dude, you really DID get creamed! Holy CRAP did you get creamed. And congrats to Aloyisus and my fellow Devil Dogs for doing such an excellent job of it.

Now, to the meat (puppet).

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by ADVISOR

While security and monitoring may be its intend purposes, it is not a pleasant sight in the sky. If police started doing that in our own streets would we approve? Regardless of its purpose.

I'm not worried about their view. This is war, and balloons have been used in war for observation for 250 some-odd years. America is not at war, at least not with itself, yet. I can understand having balloons overseeing our border security and think it's a good idea; but putting them IN American cities will never work. I think TPTB understand that 10 minutes after launching one, every gang banger, redneck, and patriot will be using them for target practice. In other words, it's a waste of time and money.

Which is why they've chosen to use high-flying drones to monitor American citizens.

What does this mean for us? My fellow Devil Dogs know, don't we? It's time to put in some practice at the range: One shot, one kill. Ooh Rah.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

BS - NATO/US was there in response to the Taliban providing a base for OBL & AQ - even Iran thought the attack was justified in the wake of 9/11!!

Really? I'd love to say your an idiot, but I won't say it ...

However, Mr. OBL is dead ... so what are you doing in Afghanistan. The TV series show you killing donkeys ... is that your past time now, going to Afghanistan to kill donkeys and go to Iraq to sodomize men?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

thats the problem - think back to the soviet invasion of afghan
they were beaten back - and the US pulled out
leaving a devistated country to its own devices - but seeing as it was a covert war not many knew it was the us that assisted
and thats when the taliban took over and created the mess that became afghanisten

now fast forward
obl dead (
as if ) Aq broken fragmented and predominatly out of afghan
so what we just pull out again leaving it as a safe haven for AQ and others like it ?
letting it again possibly fall victim to extream rule ??

it was done wrong before - now its trying to put it right - like we should have done in the first place

before the taliban - before the soviet invasion afghanistan was a moderate islamic country
TV sports ( they loved football ) ice rinks, women didnt have to wear the full burkha
a world famous pomegranite juice industry they even produced alcohol for export
but we went in - helped against the ruskies - then just left them blown to ####
and ripe for the fundementalists to fill the power void

and thats the truth in a nut shell

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

oh my god dude

firstly im not american
secondly the 90% was a flaw in my memory - pls see my posts after
but that was with regards to ISAF not just us forces

these statistics come direct from the nato deployable facts paper that is generated every year with the afghan gov and regional leaders ( both gov and civil ) and is considered resticted
i however got permission to use theses facts and statistics

yes i have gathered some of these stats myself as i have been involved with many shuras and meetings with vilage elders, regional assemblies and national assemblies
my information is from actually being there
interacting with the locals over a 10 year period
as opposed to what the media show me
the fact of the matter is YOU have your info from the media
where as I have actually been on the ground

as always there are bad egg troops and trust me I and many like me hate what these people do as it makes our job a damn sight more dangerous and discredits alot of the good that is done

but i re emphesise these are FACTS not watered down, spun, or doctored to push an angle
but cold hard facts from the people of afghan

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjarneorn

Wow, that is amazing ... really 90%???

Jesus, that is a greater number than the amount of people who vote in the US of A ... man.

While no doubt most people in Afghanistan are outraged over the desecration of their holy book, they are not anti-American. The most recent survey of Afghan views, conducted by ABC/BBC/ARD in November 2010, found that 62% of Afghans support the U.S. military presence while only 11% support the Taliban. That's considerably higher than the share of Americans who back the mission—35%. Another poll, conducted by the Asia Foundation last year, found that only 21% of Afghans blame foreign troops for the war waged by the Taliban and other insurgents. Most Afghans think the Taliban are fighting to gain power, make money, or for other selfish motives.

Afghans Don't Hate America

That is a MAJORITY SUPPORTING,in my book...............

Somehow I am sure you will find something wrong,with this type of reasoning........

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

You can extrapolate all THAT from a goddamned BALLOON being in the air? One thing that's not in short supply in Afghanistan is bullets - just shoot the damned thing down and shut up about it!

Dayum! I woke up for THIS? You have to shoot it several times in several places to get enough cells to drop it, but it ain't like it's going anywhere fast... It'lll mostly sit there and wait to be shot down, and it's a damn sight bigger and slower and lower than a drone.

I'm not even going to address the spurious rants about "overthrow of their government" and whatnot. I'm sure you've already had a new one torn for you over that bit of silly, irrational, and illogical prose.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

If you didnt remember the 9/11 people were from Saudi Arabia. The afghanis and iraqis did not think it was justified. You are going to go and attack a country that has nothing to do with 9/11?

What is your reasoning for that?

Oh hell YEAH! Let's just fire up the Saudis too, on your say so! We can start by flashing the Ka'aba - it's in Saudi Arabia. Having "nothing to do with 9/11" is a stretch of credulity in the matter of the Taliban. I mean, all those AQ training camps and sanctuaries and whatnot, y'know?

I thought we went in there for 9/11? Or was it the taliban? Which is it? Why is it any of our business what the Taliban do..?

You give sanctuary to my enemies, it all of the sudden becomes my business... you know, aligning yourself with the enemies and against me, and all that...

Was their proof of this? Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9/11. Only the hijackers and planners (OBL) did.

Those "hijackers and planners" were members of AQ, which had training bases and sanctuaries in Afghanistan, which were being protected and aided by the Taliban... if you can't follow the chain of thought, there really ain't no help for you. my recommendation for you is to never get into the business of war - you'll lose if you can't bring yourself to pursue your enemies, and just wait for them to jump out of the shadows at YOU instead

edit on 2012/5/17 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Bin laden was working for the CIA.

No, he wasn't.

Remember he was funded by the CIA in the 1980s did you forget that?

No, he wasn't.

We gave him the weapons and training to plan those attacks.

No, we didn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join